Chi Lin Nunnery

ep1987

Found the following on their website:

祈福供天 正月十五日 2月11日(六) 上午 8:30 — 中午 11:30

啟全年大悲懺 下午 2:00 — 下午 3:30

Which as far as i can tell means that on Feb 11th (day i had been thinking of visiting) there are two 'blessings' going on. Essentially what i want to know is whether the Nunnery will be open to tourists at these times?

I sent them an e-mail in English but haven't got a reply yet and communicating through translated messages probably won't help all that much.

So i was wondering whether anyone had experience of visiting on days when prayer events are occurring or else had knowledge of Hong Kong Buddhist faith and could answer.

Found the following on their website:

祈福供天 正月十五日 2月11日(六) 上午 8:30 — 中午 11:30

啟全年大悲懺 下午 2:00 — 下午 3:30

Which as far as i can tell means that on Feb 11th (day i had been thinking of visiting) there are two 'blessings' going on. Essentially what i want to know is whether the Nunnery will be open to tourists at these times?

I sent them an e-mail in English but haven't got a reply yet and communicating through translated messages probably won't help all that much.

So i was wondering whether anyone had experience of visiting on days when prayer events are occurring or else had knowledge of Hong Kong Buddhist faith and could answer.

Can't help you with the translation, but we enjoyed visiting the Nummery. Enjoyed the Nan Lion Gardens even more.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294217-d1645928-Reviews-Nan_Lian_Garden-Hong_Kong.html

Except for the monks and "staff" that work & live on site to look after the place - everyone else is a "visitor" - whether to worshop or simply as observers of the faith.

Be discrete when taking camera pictures, try not to "flash" if possible as most camera can took pretty good ones even in low light situation ... even indoors, as those can be distracting to other "visitors" with a purpose.

Feb. 11, Saturday is January 15th on the Chinese Lunar calendar - and, the 15th and 30th of each month are always special days for the Buddist faith in their worship ... including eating strictly vegetarian as a matter of their beliefs.

These places are open daily, with and without the special blessings - as prayers and incense, candles and "offerings/givings" are done all the time, not just on designated days. If you do go on the date & time with the extra "events" scheduled - expect the place to be a little more crowded. Although, locally - residents tend to worshop @ numerous ones like the Wong Tai Sin Temples - on the same MTR route & almost directly above a different station stop - and alike, more so than these known to attract & popular "tourists".

Edited by mking8288