New Years on the Adventure- our cruise

Sadly got off the Adventure of the Seas yesterday, having a really great cruise celebrating New Years!

We stayed in Puerto Rico the week prior to the trip with family in Ponce, so that part of the trip isn't helpful. We dropped our car back at the airport at about 12:20 and got to the ship around 1pm to quickly get on the ship. Lines at this time of the day are REALLY short, if anyone is interested- it's after the rush of people wanting to get on first and before most of the day of flights get in.

Being New Years Eve on the first night- it was also one of the two formal nights- which many anticipated. We carry all of our luggage on board anyway, so we had everything we needed for the evening.

A few weeks ago, we got a call for a reasonable upgrade to a GS, and cabin 1252 was great all week. Joey took good care of us and kept everything stocked up. The only issue that we had (and I mentioned it) was that I *think* we had an air quality issue in the cabin- we'd have sore throats after the night, which would pretty much go away after a day on land. So it wasn't a cold, and it wasn't the land.... Still, we had a great time in the room.

New Years was a really big party- the promenade was PACKED for the celebration. Both bars had spots where you could pay for a table and a bottle of Champagne (Moet), which we took advantage of- so we had some more space. It was SO much fun!

We've done this cruise more than once before- and the rest of the cruise was pretty standard in terms of what to do and when to do it- ports, shows, eating, etc. But we have been spending a lot of time in the lounges to snack for dinner instead of going to the MDR to eat- this time was MTD and it was a great return- we had two wonderful servers for early dinner. Food, for us, was quite good. I can see if you don't like the choices that you would not be happy- but we enjoyed it....

Entertainment was great, too- we had El Goucho for one show and Two Funny Brothers (Mario and Daniel) as the other- both were really fun.

This wasn't a really busy cruise for us- instead of planning it all out, we just wandered around the towns trying to find things we've not seen before.

One really interesting thing happened on the night of Day 2- a small fishing boat had gone missing for just over a day, and our ship was asked to help find them. Thankfully, a helicopter located them- which meant we didn't have to do a search pattern. The captain was forced to maneuver the ship up wind and waves from the tiny craft, constantly shifting the ship to keep a safe distance from the small craft and the massive ship. He did a great job, as did the rescue crew who went out and got the fishermen. We saw the whole thing play out on our balcony, and it was just about midnight when we found them. The fishermen were all ok, and it turned out great. Pretty amazing.

If you have any questions- I'll try to answer them.

Oh- the unfinished part of the dry dock should happen some time in Feb, as we were told. The big parts being 109 new cabins, Chops, and moving the Diamond and Suite lounge both to Deck 14. You could see some was all done - the slides and flow rider were fully being used all week.

Thanks for the report.

A couple of questions:

What did they charge for your table and champagne on New Year's Eve?

Did they indicate another dry dock is planned for the changes coming in February?

We loved our cruises on the adventure minus the terrible musty smell iin our cabins. We were in a Balcony last march and a junior suite in may and as soon as you would open the door, the must would hit you. We mentioned it. Kept spraying the cabin and opened the balcony door when we were int it during the day. Not good.

Thanks for the report.

A couple of questions:

What did they charge for your table and champagne on New Year's Eve?

Did they indicate another dry dock is planned for the changes coming in February?

We were charge $150 for the table- which included the Moet. The 4 top tables were $200.

We were told that it's a wet dock planned for Feb. We were also told that some of the containers were badly damaged in the storm- so it wasn't just the lack of supplies...

As for the musty smell- I'm not sure how to deal with it. Seems like they need to remove the air covers and clean out the ducts. With the ship always being in warm and humid areas- it's probably tough to dry out.

... We were told that it's a wet dock planned for Feb. We were also told that some of the containers were badly damaged in the storm- so it wasn't just the lack of supplies. ...

Interesting, I'll have to look at the schedule and see if there are any breaks in the sailings.

Interesting, I'll have to look at the schedule and see if there are any breaks in the sailings.

Looking at the current schedule, there are no breaks.

But we were told that the 109 cabins have been booked, so.... Something has to break.

Oh- the unfinished part of the dry dock should happen some time in Feb, as we were told. The big parts being 109 new cabins, Chops, and moving the Diamond and Suite lounge both to Deck 14. You could see some was all done - the slides and flow rider were fully being used all week.

February 2017? I don't see how a wet dock is possible possible. If no wet dock it doesn't seem conceivable to do these modifications while sailing with passengers. Plus it seems they would significantly disrupt the adjoining public spaces and cabins.

We're sailing in mid-February and really hope the ship doesn't somehow turn into a giant construction zone to get this done. I'd be more than a bit unhappy about that. We didn't sign up to cruise on a floating construction site.

Hopefully others sailing soon on Adventure can try to get more information on this topic - specific dates, etc. Better yet, Royal Caribbean could simply make a press release stating what their future plans are for the ship. That would make too much sense though. :)

Edited by 71Corvette

February 2017? I don't see how a wet dock is possible possible. If no wet dock it doesn't seem conceivable to do these modifications while sailing with passengers. Plus it seems they would significantly disrupt the adjoining public spaces and cabins.

We're sailing in mid-February and really hope the ship doesn't somehow turn into a giant construction zone to get this done. I'd be more than a bit unhappy about that. We didn't sign up to cruise on a floating construction site.

Hopefully others sailing soon on Adventure can try to get more information on this topic - specific dates, etc. Better yet, Royal Caribbean could simply make a press release stating what their future plans are for the ship. That would make too much sense though. :)

All I'm reporting is what we were told by more than one officer....

Hope your cruise goes well.

All I'm reporting is what we were told by more than one officer....

Hope your cruise goes well.

I don't doubt what you're saying is what you heard, I didn't mean it if my response came across that way. Sorry if any offense was taken - I appreciate your report! It wouldn't be the first time that I've heard information misreported by the ships staff though.

I don't see any breaks in the February 2017 sailing schedule. However, there is a several day break between March 25th (the end of a 7 day sailing) and the beginning of the next sailing (a 10 day trip) beginning on March 29th. I don't know if this 4 day block is a charter, of if they have something else planned. :confused: Does anyone know if this gap in the schedule existed before the drydock?

Edited by 71Corvette

Sadly got off the Adventure of the Seas yesterday, having a really great cruise celebrating New Years!

We stayed in Puerto Rico the week prior to the trip with family in Ponce, so that part of the trip isn't helpful. We dropped our car back at the airport at about 12:20 and got to the ship around 1pm to quickly get on the ship. Lines at this time of the day are REALLY short, if anyone is interested- it's after the rush of people wanting to get on first and before most of the day of flights get in.

Being New Years Eve on the first night- it was also one of the two formal nights- which many anticipated. We carry all of our luggage on board anyway, so we had everything we needed for the evening.

A few weeks ago, we got a call for a reasonable upgrade to a GS, and cabin 1252 was great all week. Joey took good care of us and kept everything stocked up. The only issue that we had (and I mentioned it) was that I *think* we had an air quality issue in the cabin- we'd have sore throats after the night, which would pretty much go away after a day on land. So it wasn't a cold, and it wasn't the land.... Still, we had a great time in the room.

New Years was a really big party- the promenade was PACKED for the celebration. Both bars had spots where you could pay for a table and a bottle of Champagne (Moet), which we took advantage of- so we had some more space. It was SO much fun!

We've done this cruise more than once before- and the rest of the cruise was pretty standard in terms of what to do and when to do it- ports, shows, eating, etc. But we have been spending a lot of time in the lounges to snack for dinner instead of going to the MDR to eat- this time was MTD and it was a great return- we had two wonderful servers for early dinner. Food, for us, was quite good. I can see if you don't like the choices that you would not be happy- but we enjoyed it....

Entertainment was great, too- we had El Goucho for one show and Two Funny Brothers (Mario and Daniel) as the other- both were really fun.

This wasn't a really busy cruise for us- instead of planning it all out, we just wandered around the towns trying to find things we've not seen before.

One really interesting thing happened on the night of Day 2- a small fishing boat had gone missing for just over a day, and our ship was asked to help find them. Thankfully, a helicopter located them- which meant we didn't have to do a search pattern. The captain was forced to maneuver the ship up wind and waves from the tiny craft, constantly shifting the ship to keep a safe distance from the small craft and the massive ship. He did a great job, as did the rescue crew who went out and got the fishermen. We saw the whole thing play out on our balcony, and it was just about midnight when we found them. The fishermen were all ok, and it turned out great. Pretty amazing.

If you have any questions- I'll try to answer them.

Hello we will be sailing on the Adventure on the 10 day in March, I wanted to ask how the food and what hotel you stayed at.

Thanks

Hello we will be sailing on the Adventure on the 10 day in March, I wanted to ask how the food and what hotel you stayed at.

Thanks

We thought the food was good. But that also means that we were happy with the selection of the food- which I know that others are not so happy about. One thing we always notice is how well the veggies are cooked- such as the asparagus- which is always nicely done.

We didn't stay at a hotel on this trip- it was with family. Next time down, we have a few days at El Convento, which we like a lot.