Here's a new one for you!

CruisinNana

Sounds to me as though a trip to the doctor and examination for sleep apnea is in order! I used to snore like a freight train too until I was fitted with a CPAP machine. Loud snoring is the prime sign that you could be having trouble breathing during sleep. On testing they discovered I stopped breathing63 times an hour. Any one of those times...if prolonged could have meant my demise!

It is so quiet in our room now, my DH has to touch me to make sure I am still alive.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!!

I appreciate your concern. See an earlier post.

Totally agree with the previous poster who suggested a medical evaluation for sleep apnea and possible use of a CPAP. If the snoring is so loud that you are considering getting two cabins on a cruise, then this is a potentially serious medical condition, and there is a very effective, and potentially life-saving treatment (CPAP) available.

See a doctor and get a sleep study.

My DH dreams he is a motorcycle or at least that is what it sounds like. Sometimes it's so bad that I use two sets of earplugs--one some from Walmart that are bright orange and for swimming to keep water out and also the foam ones.

Usually just the bright orange ones are sufficient. I also turn on a boring tv channel low like the weather channel to add noise.

Totally agree with the previous poster who suggested a medical evaluation for sleep apnea and possible use of a CPAP. If the snoring is so loud that you are considering getting two cabins on a cruise, then this is a potentially serious medical condition, and there is a very effective, and potentially life-saving treatment (CPAP) available.

See a doctor and get a sleep study.

Thanks for your concern.

My DH dreams he is a motorcycle or at least that is what it sounds like. Sometimes it's so bad that I use two sets of earplugs--one some from Walmart that are bright orange and for swimming to keep water out and also the foam ones.

Usually just the bright orange ones are sufficient. I also turn on a boring tv channel low like the weather channel to add noise.

Double ear plugs! Love it.

On our last cruise I had my husband wear these bandaids they make for the nose. They worked so well, that I actually got to sleep. We also like wax earplugs as they soften with the heat of your hand as you insert them. They never fall out either as they are moulded to the shape of your ear.

Noise canceling headphones?

Tell us how it works out with your TA, we're all curious what they will allow...

I will, but first, I will buy the silicone earplugs and give that a try. $5.99 vs. $1,500+!!!!! If I contact the cruise line through my TA, I will let you know what they say. Maybe someone else out there is as crazy as I and may benefit from the answer!

To SALLYCRISER06, CRUISERBILLBOO, and CRUISEING MARLY:

While I respectfully appreciate your concern about my personal health, I would appreciate more if you would stay on topic and try to answer the question I originally proposed, and if you missed the point, the question was about getting 2 cabins and putting my husband's name on both cabins.

Again, I am not offended by your suggestion about my personal health. I only wish you would read the whole thread before you make suggestions, such as #7, where I answered the one who first proposed a sleep study which I have had, and then Ruth's thoughtful response about trying another mask since she also had a poor experience with the first mask she tried.

This board is a wealth of knowledge, and I appreciate all I have received from it. I have a feeling others on this board would agree about reading the posts before offering the exact same solution that had already been addressed.

On our last cruise I had my husband wear these bandaids they make for the nose. They worked so well, that I actually got to sleep. We also like wax earplugs as they soften with the heat of your hand as you insert them. They never fall out either as they are moulded to the shape of your ear.

Thanks so much. I will try the wax ones as well as the silicone ones. Appreciate the suggestion!

I have heard of instances when there was a problem with a cabin of people being given a "sleeping cabin" free of charge while repairs were being made to their normal one. On a T-A on the Prinsendam we had a cabin with different neighbors every night while renovations were being done to a group of cabins. So: when you get on the ship, ask if there are any unoccupied inside cabins that he could use on occasion just for sleeping.

Edited by jtl513

I have heard of instances when there was a problem with a cabin of people being given a "sleeping cabin" free of charge while repairs were being made to their normal one. On a T-A on the Prinsendam we had a cabin with different neighbors every night while renovations were being done to a group of cabins. So: when you get on the ship, ask if there are any unoccupied inside cabins that he could use on occasion just for sleeping.

GREAT suggestion! I will try that. I may use your scenario as my example. If it doesn't work at check in, I can ask the concierge in the Neptune Lounge as well!

If I contact the cruise line through my TA, I will let you know what they say. Maybe someone else out there is as crazy as I and may benefit from the answer!

I'm very much interested in what your TA says, because I've wondered about this exact scenario for my mother-in-law.

I'd like her to have her own place to sleep, while spending the rest of her day in our suite and enjoying the suite perks like Pinnacle breakfast and Neptune Lounge with us.

So, yes, please do let us know if you talk to your TA. Thank you!

I'm very much interested in what your TA says, because I've wondered about this exact scenario for my mother-in-law.

I'd like her to have her own place to sleep, while spending the rest of her day in our suite and enjoying the suite perks like Pinnacle breakfast and Neptune Lounge with us.

So, yes, please do let us know if you talk to your TA. Thank you!

I certainly will. It would be nice if you could pay for her to be the third person in your suite cabin but also pay the single supplement for her own cabin in which she sleeps.....

Well, my TA has asked Holland America the question about booking an inside cabin for sleeping, and the answer was what we expected....2 cabins in one name is not possible! (KK knew!) But as Ruth said, if you don't ask, you won't know! I am now working on the suggested ear plugs...double ones....and dieting! We are both so excited about our upcoming cruise. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

CruisinNana, I don't wish to offend, but let me defend a couple of posters here. I realize that the question you ask did not receive answers from some of them. Not everyone understands the relationship between snoring, CPAP machines, sleep studies and potential risk of death. Most would not understand the exchange between you and RuthC. However, those who have some knowledge along those lines would worry first and foremost about you, and not the booking question. You are a long-time and valuable friend here on the boards and we want you to be safe and healthy.

Apparently there is some sort of device on Kickstarter that helps alleviate the sound of snoring. I have no clue how it works but my hubby has ordered one due to his snoring being so bad it can reduce me to sobbing with frustration in the night ... I feel for both you and your husband as it is not a great situation to find yourselves in. Please don't take offence at this but I found my hubby was a bit quieter when he was slimmer and off the dairy products ....although I'm in no way implying that's the case for you.

Well, my TA has asked Holland America the question about booking an inside cabin for sleeping, and the answer was what we expected....2 cabins in one name is not possible!

Bummer! I guess my MIL will have to eat her breakfast alone in Lido! :eek:

(Just kidding:D We won't do that to her!)

Thank you so much for finding this out, CruisinNana!

CruisinNana, I don't wish to offend, but let me defend a couple of posters here. I realize that the question you ask did not receive answers from some of them. Not everyone understands the relationship between snoring, CPAP machines, sleep studies and potential risk of death. Most would not understand the exchange between you and RuthC. However, those who have some knowledge along those lines would worry first and foremost about you, and not the booking question. You are a long-time and valuable friend here on the boards and we want you to be safe and healthy.

You are very kind. Thank you.

Bummer! I guess my MIL will have to eat her breakfast alone in Lido! :eek:

(Just kidding:D We won't do that to her!)

Thank you so much for finding this out, CruisinNana!

My pleasure. I wish the plan would have worked for both of us! Enjoy your cruise!