Leaving kids on the ship while at port-questions for new RCCL cruiser

Thank you for this!!! I had mentioned this a few times on the Disney boards and so many people told me off. One even threatened that department of children and families should be called on us for child neglect!!! The kids are much safer on the ship as the chances of my son wandering away in a foreign country is huge (he's the type who sees a bunny and takes off running).

We always do ship excursions so the ship can't take off without us.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

As a fortysomething who's had some tours and excursions ruined because of parents demanding to bring their young children along on activities which could not possibly interest a young child for more than ten minutes, resulting in loud crying, fussing, and yelling:

THANK YOU for leaving your children on the ship where they are surrounded by competent care professionals and activities which will hold their interest! :):):)

The kids get to enjoy their romper room (or whatever) activities, and the adults get to enjoy the tour more. :)

Edited by RaiderDuck

misseulalie just remember this is the same forum, and many of the same posters, that a few months ago were horrified that a parent would even consider "letting" their 21 and 19 year-old daughters do a cruise sponsored excursion by themselves in Jamaica.

I wish there was a like button on cruise critic!!!!!

"Like"

I'm not asking if the ship will leave...I am asking about the clubs and if they stay open. As I said, I am new to RCCL and not as familiar with the clubs and their policies.

The club will stay open, and during lunch hour the kids will be taken to a reserved spot in Windjammer for lunch.

While on Navigator in April of 2016, the ship stopped in Falmouth wherein my 5 year old daughter decided to stay on the ship. Me and my wife wanted to take the trolley excursion around town, but the return to port is past noon (Club usually closes from noon to 2 p.m.). The staff member told me to sign a waiver form authorizing them to take my daughter to lunch, and further told me that she will be returned to the club after lunch and allowed to read books, watch movies or play games on her own. We completed our excursion around 12:45 p.m., and when we found the group at WJ there were 4 to 5 kids and 2 club counselors.

Edited by PCHENG

Disagree. It is the Pax's responsibility to be back on time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think that if it's an RCI Excursion - doesn't the fine print say it's NOT the passengers fault? If it's NOT an RCI excursion - then I expect the bill will go to the passenger who then can try to hold the tour operator liable depending on the tour operators conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Disagree. It is the Pax's responsibility to be back on time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I misspoke earlier. I concur if it a person outing. Please see post 49 above, as I did a misread of Host Jacqueline comment and did a retraction of my original comment.

If it is a RC excursion I would expect RC to cover the costs.

Yeah, and if I can't get to my daycare by 6:30 pm, they will call the State DHS to come pick up my DD. I am however responsible enough to get back to Daycare before they close at 6 and the vast majority of people will never miss a cruise ship in their life.

If they do miss the ship, it isn't like RCL will put the kids on the pier and say c-ya. They will assign an AO crew member to watch over the kids until the parents make it back or at the homeport. Not ideal, and possible very expensive, but it isn't like the kids are in grave danger. Much better than leaving a 5 yo on a beach will you snorkel.

As to the OP's question: the centers including the nursery will be open the entire time you are in port. They will take your phone number if they need to reach you, but from what we were told and our experience is they never have a reason to call. If there were mass separations of kids and parents, I doubt they would allow this.

I was going to reply this, but you beat me to it.

I'm not sure the big worry here. The number of ship sponsored excursions that don't make it back on top are small. The number that have been so late that the ship cannot wait for the amount of time that the excursion is late is miniscule. The ship will wait as long as possible for ship sponsored excursions, so long as there are no port issues and the timing of the itinerary allows them to do so to some extent.

But if the worst does happen (bus problems, road blocked, whatever), what do you think will happen? They don't take the kids and dump them in the slums or toss them overboard. They will have a person dedicated to taking care of them until the parents are returned. Since it was an RCCL excursion, I doubt there would be any expense at all actually. I would be surprised if the parents were billed for it. They would get fed, played with, probably ridiculously pampered by someone from the AO staff. The worst that will happen is the kid will miss mom/dad and cry for a bit.

I have read most of the responses on this thread and it's clear to me the OP was seeking validation on her already made decision to leave her 5 yr old on the ship. That was evident by the kind things she had to say to those in agreement with her and the snarky comments to the others.

One of the reasons given for not taking her son is that he will not enjoy the excursion, even at 5 there are things we have to do that we don't want to do. As an educator, I am tried of seeing students who aren't made to feel uncomfortable or do things they don't want to do.

Another reason she gave is because he is the type that runs off. I mean this with all due respect, if YOU can't control your 5 yr old on the excursion, what makes you think the staff will be able to safely control him. Perhaps you should stay home, stateside and on land, until you have better control.

I will never understand how people think and do things because they are on a ship and/or vacation but would never do at home.

This entire thread reminds me of the one from the young man who was propositioned in the spa showers....let that sink in.

Thank you!!! Exactly...my chances of getting into a car crash at home and not getting to my child is far more likely than me not getting back to port. 14 cruises and yet to have an incident with excursions.

NONE, NOT ONE of thise mentioned, teachers, relatives, neighborswill be on the cruise ship with you and you are in a foreign country NOT AT HOME!

Edited by tennislvr8

I have read most of the responses on this thread and it's clear to me the OP was seeking validation on her already made decision to leave her 5 yr old on the ship. That was evident by the kind things she had to say to those in agreement with her and the snarky comments to the others.

One of the reasons given for not taking her son is that he will not enjoy the excursion, even at 5 there are things we have to do that we don't want to do. As an educator, I am tried of seeing students who aren't made to feel uncomfortable or do things they don't want to do.

Another reason she gave is because he is the type that runs off. I mean this with all due respect, if YOU can't control your 5 yr old on the excursion, what makes you think the staff will be able to safely control him. Perhaps you should stay home, stateside and on land, until you have better control.

I will never understand how people think and do things because they are on a ship and/or vacation but would never do at home.

This entire thread reminds me of the one from the young man who was propositioned in the spa showers....let that sink in.

Umm, not really. The OP wasn't looking for any validation from anyone, they had already made a rational decision on things. The only thing the OP wanted was how the kids club works on RCCL, since they had sailed on other lines and wanted to know how it was handled on this line. The rest of it came from the responses from those who sent it on a tangent on whether it was the right thing to do in their opinions.

I do agree kids should be pushed sometimes, as it's natural to be fearful of trying out new things. I regular go with my daughter to try things out, even if she's unsure of it. Sometimes she loves it, sometimes she doesn't. All I ask her to do is try.

I don't agree with the last though. Virtually everyone acts and does different things on vacation then they do at home. That's partly what vacation is, to get away from the everyday life and do new and exciting things you don't get to otherwise. This is true for kids, teens, young adults, adults and seniors. No, that doesn't mean doing dumb things or acting completely immoral, but you certainly are going to stretch the bounds of what you are accustomed to.

Umm, not really. The OP wasn't looking for any validation from anyone, they had already made a rational decision on things. The only thing the OP wanted was how the kids club works on RCCL, since they had sailed on other lines and wanted to know how it was handled on this line. The rest of it came from the responses from those who sent it on a tangent on whether it was the right thing to do in their opinions.

I do agree kids should be pushed sometimes, as it's natural to be fearful of trying out new things. I regular go with my daughter to try things out, even if she's unsure of it. Sometimes she loves it, sometimes she doesn't. All I ask her to do is try.

I don't agree with the last though. Virtually everyone acts and does different things on vacation then they do at home. That's partly what vacation is, to get away from the everyday life and do new and exciting things you don't get to otherwise. This is true for kids, teens, young adults, adults and seniors. No, that doesn't mean doing dumb things or acting completely immoral, but you certainly are going to stretch the bounds of what you are accustomed to.

She asked for things to consider when leaving her child while on an excursion. She got that some positive, some negative. Based on her responses to both, I stand by what I said.

I agree with you vacation you let loose and do some things you normally would not do. But some of what I have seen parents on this thread as well as many others allow their kids to do because of the pseudosafety of being on a cruise is what I was referring to. I should have been clearer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I think that in the very first post the OP said she didn't want feedback about her decision, just about what was available. I am pretty sure that she was NOT seeking validation when this started.

I agree with you that parents should know how to stop their children from running away - and I would bet that this poster does as well. But - being ABLE to do that - compared to WANTING to do that every minute on a vacation is a different thing. I know that if I as visiting Norway, I would want to enjoy it and actually take it all in! If I didn't think I could do that with my kids - I would definitely consider using AO for some stops.

Your last paragraph confuses me the most - where is it being said that the OP is doing something she wouldn't do at home? Clearly - she is not one of those helicopter parents that would never let her child out of her sight!

I think that in the very first post the OP said she didn't want feedback about her decision, just about what was available. I am pretty sure that she was NOT seeking validation when this started.

I agree with you that parents should know how to stop their children from running away - and I would bet that this poster does as well. But - being ABLE to do that - compared to WANTING to do that every minute on a vacation is a different thing. I know that if I as visiting Norway, I would want to enjoy it and actually take it all in! If I didn't think I could do that with my kids - I would definitely consider using AO for some stops.

Your last paragraph confuses me the most - where is it being said that the OP is doing something she wouldn't do at home? Clearly - she is not one of those helicopter parents that would never let her child out of her sight!

She asked how it worked on RCI and I believe she was given that, even when it did not agree with leaving him on board.

Not wanting to do that on vacation, I am sorry but you are the parent. If you don't want to do that on vacation, go without your child or stay home. Depending on the age of your child I might agree with you, at the age of 5 I don't.

Would she leave her child with virtual strangers in a strange place at home? Not sure what part confuses you??

NONE, NOT ONE of thise mentioned, teachers, relatives, neighborswill be on the cruise ship with you and you are in a foreign country NOT AT HOME!

Have you met the AO staff? They are all certified teachers with college degrees. Far more qualified and adored by children than most relatives and neighbors. I think you and many others are being too judgmental and overreacting here.

~Cel-Cruise...who has never done what the OP is asking but totally respects that every mom (or dad) deserves a few moments to see or do something new on vacation that might not be fully enjoyed if they have to care for little people at the same time!

Have you met the AO staff? They are all certified teachers with college degrees. Far more qualified and adored by children than most relatives and neighbors. I think you and many others are being too judgmental and overreacting here.

~Cel-Cruise...who has never done what the OP is asking but totally respects that every mom (or dad) deserves a few moments to see or do something new on vacation that might not be fully enjoyed if they have to care for little people at the same time!

No, I have never met them. Perhaps another reason why a 5 yr old should not be left with them in a foreign country.

Those little people are their children that they brought on vacation with them.

IMHO, the cons FAR OUTWEIGH the pros. We will have to agree to disagree.

She asked how it worked on RCI and I believe she was given that, even when it did not agree with leaving him on board.

Not wanting to do that on vacation, I am sorry but you are the parent. If you don't want to do that on vacation, go without your child or stay home. Depending on the age of your child I might agree with you, at the age of 5 I don't.

Would she leave her child with virtual strangers in a strange place at home? Not sure what part confuses you??

She asked for how it worked onboard. Not to be judged for doing it.

As a teacher - you of all people should realize that going on a vacation with family is a wonderful thing and far better of a memory than being left home alone with a sitter. This doesn't mean that you can't use a sitter for a period of time while on vacation. The OP doesn't plan to leave her child everyday - just some.

As for leaving her child with virtual strangers - I'm guessing that you never had children in a daycare center. On any given day - a new teachers could be responsible for caring for your child - even being the one you leave them with in the morning. Daycare parents learn to trust in the system. And it's a good thing - as once you enter elementary school - you know even less about the teachers that are with them for a full day.

I interacted more in a week on Navigator with all 9 kids club staff members than I have with any of my sons last 4 years of elementary school teachers (who I actually TRY to get to know but can't!)

I don't know why everyone feels the need to judge - clearly by now everyone in America who lived thru the election cycle should be well aware that we don't all think alike and that there are some stark regional divides. Is it really that hard to think that we might also have other things besides our political views that are different? No need to damn those who think differently than you....you probably wouldn't want them doing that to you....

She asked for things to consider when leaving her child while on an excursion. She got that some positive, some negative. Based on her responses to both, I stand by what I said.

I agree with you vacation you let loose and do some things you normally would not do. But some of what I have seen parents on this thread as well as many others allow their kids to do because of the pseudosafety of being on a cruise is what I was referring to. I should have been clearer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Yes, but none of that is asking for validation for what she is doing. She's asking for information on how it is handled by RCCL, the decision was already made and they're fine with it. What the responses are afterwards, were based on the comments made. I guess to me someone seeking validation is unsure of the issue themselves, or seeking assurances from others on it. I don't think the OP is either of those. They may explain things to comments, but I think they're perfectly fine with their decision.

True, though for the most part it IS safe. Certainly safer then a general city, which in itself is safer then it's been in the lifetime of parents with kids now. Could something happen, anything is possible, but you can't live your life in fear of rare things that may happen in life

She asked how the mechanics of of Adventure Ocean asked basically, not whether people's opinion of doing so matched it or not.

Wait, you mean people have to do every single thing together in vacation? Or is that only for parents and younger kids. There is reason Adventure Ocean exists, for the very purpose of kids, older and younger, to do things on a cruise without the parents. It's good for the parents, and it's good for the kids who get to play with others their own age and their own interests.

And millions of parents leave their children in daycare every day, with virtual strangers not at home. How is this so different?

She asked for how it worked onboard. Not to be judged for doing it.

As a teacher - you of all people should realize that going on a vacation with family is a wonderful thing and far better of a memory than being left home alone with a sitter. This doesn't mean that you can't use a sitter for a period of time while on vacation. The OP doesn't plan to leave her child everyday - just some.

As for leaving her child with virtual strangers - I'm guessing that you never had children in a daycare center. On any given day - a new teachers could be responsible for caring for your child - even being the one you leave them with in the morning. Daycare parents learn to trust in the system. And it's a good thing - as once you enter elementary school - you know even less about the teachers that are with them for a full day.

I interacted more in a week on Navigator with all 9 kids club staff members than I have with any of my sons last 4 years of elementary school teachers (who I actually TRY to get to know but can't!)

I don't know why everyone feels the need to judge - clearly by now everyone in America who lived thru the election cycle should be well aware that we don't all think alike and that there are some stark regional divides. Is it really that hard to think that we might also have other things besides our political views that are different? No need to damn those who think differently than you....you probably wouldn't want them doing that to you....

That's the HUGE difference. I do not in any way shape or form equate leaving a 5 yrd old on a cruise ship while I am on an excursion with sending kids to elementary school or daycare (which involves a process most parents go through before making a choice).

I feel bad for you having more interaction with the kids club staff on a 9 day cruise than your child's teacher the 180 days they are in school. That's a shame and should not have happened.

I do not believe everyone on this thread is judging her. We may disagree but judging is different. Often times people misuse judge with difference of opinion. When you judge someone generally that means forming an opinion about them.... I personally have no opinion about this person. Yes, I disagree with her decision to leave her 5yr old on a ship in a foreign country while she is on an excursion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether they agree or disagree. Just as she is entitled to have her own opinion and voice it about leaving her son, others are entitle to disagree and voice it.

She asked how the mechanics of of Adventure Ocean asked basically, not whether people's opinion of doing so matched it or not.

Wait, you mean people have to do every single thing together in vacation? Or is that only for parents and younger kids. There is reason Adventure Ocean exists, for the very purpose of kids, older and younger, to do things on a cruise without the parents. It's good for the parents, and it's good for the kids who get to play with others their own age and their own interests.

And millions of parents leave their children in daycare every day, with virtual strangers not at home. How is this so different?

She may not have asked directly but she asked this, I copied it from her post: Any things I should consider with RCCL and kids staying onboard?

She was given that, the good, the bad and the ugly...some of it she didn't agree with.

As I said in another post, I do not believe leaving your 5 yr old on a ship ina foreign country can equate to day care or school.

That was evident by the kind things she had to say to those in agreement with her and the snarky comments to the others.

I think the pot's calling the kettle snarky. I mean, really,

Perhaps you should stay home, stateside and on land, until you have better control.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Yes, let's do so.

We've left our then 2 year old in the nursery on a cruise while my wife & I did a ship excursion to interact with sea lions that she was age-excluded from. She seems to be doing okay.

Richard.

I think the pot's calling the kettle snarky. I mean, really,

Yes, let's do so.

We've left our then 2 year old in the nursery on a cruise while my wife & I did a ship excursion to interact with sea lions that she was age-excluded from. She seems to be doing okay.

Richard.

I am glad it worked out for you. IMHO, the cons outweigh the pros.

We are veteran cruisers (Disney) and have often left our kids onboard (in the clubs) while we went ashore.

First, if your only comment is to tell me how I am such a horrible parent, please don't bother commenting.

So, This is our first big cruise on RCCL. We are doing the 12 day Norway cruise. There are 6 ports.

We are considering leaving our son (Age 5) on board for a few of the ports.

How does this work with RCCL? On Disney, the club stays open while at port and the counselors take our cell phone number in case of any issues. We also do cruiseline excursions to make sure we don't have any issues with getting back to the ship on time.

So, my question is... do the clubs stay open while at port? I noticed when we did the short 3 day cruises, the clubs are closed at certain times during the day.

Any things I should consider with RCCL and kids staying onboard?

Thanks!

The thought is just terrible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!