Free at Sea question

Suzieanna

Is this something that "everybody" gets, except for those in guarantee rooms. I was wondering does anybody actually "pay" for the drinks package outwith their increased fare?

I don't want to flame or criticise or anything like that, its out of curiosity and wondering if anybody else has noticed the same.. I have noticed that since the "free" packages, the presentation of the drink has gone (glass/decoration etc) , and I feel the drinks are not quite as nice... use of pre-mixed/jugs I am thinking of here.

I am wondering with the push now on getting people to speciality restaurants, how long is it until they are broadly similar to what you get in MDR?

what do you all think? if you are happy to pay extra, do you feel like your specialty restaurant is "less" than it was in the past before the packages?

(I haven't myself ever been in a pay for restaurant - MDR and buffet all the way for me - but I know the cocktails just ain't as pretty and gussied up any more! )

The deals change over time, so there are usually some people onboard who didn't get them for some reason.

For example, they often are t included on bookings made close to sailing time.

There was also talk on here a while back about some special rates that don't include perks. Some people will have booked using those.

Obviously, not everyone wants the drinks package, so not everyone onboard will have it. However I think it's fair to say that not many people are paying for it these days. If you want it enough to buy it then you will certainly have selected it as an option, and it is likely to be worth paying the extra for a non guarantee cabin rather than paying for the package.

The dining package is slightly different. Quite a few cabins only get one deal and many people prefer others (drinks package or prepaid gratuities) over the dining package. It has certainly made a difference to the number of people using the speciality restaurants, in my experience, but not by as much as some may expect.

As for how much these packages have changed the experience, in my opinion not at all. Reservations are more important, but it's still no problem getting the reservations you want as long as you do it fairly soon after they open. I find the meals themselves and the service to be similar to how they have always need.

We tend to go to the bar ourselves for drinks, so aren't reliant on servers coming to us, so don't have any trouble getting a drink. I can't say I've ever noticed a difference in the quality, although we don't drink all that many mixed drinks. The wine selection is probably the thing that has been most impacted, but then I'm not too fussed what wine I drink on holiday.

I am on The Getaway now and one of the first things I noticed was lack of servers bringing drinks and no more daily drink specials in souvenir cups. The drinks I have had taste the same as a i remember.

I used a wandering sever once but from now on I am getting my own drink from the bar because he gave me my drink and kind if hovered I guess waiting for me to slip him a buck. In the past, I would always leave an additional tip. However, I gave done the math and my tip total with the included and additional for a week would be around $60 tops. I was charged $99, so I am sorry, but I'm already paying more for service than in the past.

On the flipside, it is more peaceful because they arent as pushy about drinks.