Cruise With Kids In July - British Isles Or Mediterranean?

goforyourdreams

We are a family with kids ages 12, 10 and 8, the timeline is late July/early August. 1st time cruisers, deciding between a British Isles and Mediterranean cruise.

British Isles: weather can be cold, which makes for easier excursions (kids don't do too well walking long distances in hot sun), but too cold on the ship/ too cold for the swimming pool.

Mediterranean: hot weather, might be too hot on excursions, but perfect for lounging outside on the ship and for the swimming pool.

What do you think is a better option?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Some cruise lines, such as HAL, have covered swimming pools so you can use them even in Alaska. To me a European cruise is more about the ports and less about the ship itself. I agree that the Med may be too hot in the summer to really explore the ports.

Roz

We are a family with kids ages 12, 10 and 8, the timeline is late July/early August. 1st time cruisers, deciding between a British Isles and Mediterranean cruise.

British Isles: weather can be cold, which makes for easier excursions (kids don't do too well walking long distances in hot sun), but too cold on the ship/ too cold for the swimming pool.

Mediterranean: hot weather, might be too hot on excursions, but perfect for lounging outside on the ship and for the swimming pool.

What do you think is a better option?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The UK can be cool in July but also wet and rainy. Personally, I love the UK and travel there every 2-3 years. But wouldn't do it as a cruise-cation.

The Med will be hot which means pool and playing for the kids. The ship has AC so you can always escape the heat. As for excursions, choose some that may not bring the sun exposure you fear.

Easy call from my point of view, but you should get lots of varying opinions to help you choose.

Happy Cruising!

We did a med cruise last summer with two boys similar ages...they loved all the time in the pool, excursions were hot at times (Rome was!!) but there is usually shade and time to stop for ice cream so they were happy! Take water bottles, rash vests and lots of sun cream/hats, you will be fine!! On board there is also kids club and lots of air conditioned inside space when you need a break...and evenings up on deck were still warm which was lovely!! I would heartily recommend it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

late July and August are the hottest months in the UK. This is precisely when schools have their school summer holidays. There are many interesting things on a British Isles cruise as they typically visit all the different countries with their diverse cultures. Titanic museum and other historical things are at many ports. They quite often visit Guernsey, occupied during WW2 and France. It is not so much about architecture like Med cruises seem to be.

Regards John

As you have stated, the Med will be much warmer in Jul/Aug than the British Isles but it will still be ok for children to swim in the ship's heated pools in the British Isles.

I see from your profile that you are American and therefore I think you should go for a Med cruise as it would provide more of a variety of destinations for your children ( language / culture / history) than a cruise which is solely British Isles.