Harvest Caye Review & Tips

trippingtaffy

After you have got over your dismay that you are not actually going to be seeing the local culture or taste the local food of Belize, but rather have to endure yet another private island owned by a cruise line, here are my top tips after being there last week:

1. FOOD: It's just a 10 minute walk to Harvest Caye and you can easily walk back to the ship for lunch so don't waste your money on the island's food.

2. ACTIVITIES: If money is not a problem book the zip line tour which takes you over the beach itself, $65 per person. My recommendation is to wait until the next day at Roatan and book with Jungletop zip line tours @ $45 per person, a superb experience which lasts 1.5 hours & has much better views! Kayaks are $25 per hour, Stand up Paddleboards $20, electric boats $39. We took the SUPs, a good way to see the lagoon.

3. Water IS now available for free at various water stations located along the walkway next to the beach.

4. FREE: access to the small butterfly enclosure where you can see them up close & hold iguanas. The large outdoor pool is also free & great to wash off the salt from the sea before re-boarding.

5. WI-FI: if you have teenagers who can't survive many hours without wifi I'm afraid they'll have to wait until the next port as there was none available on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Hollr. It's a great day to save some money and even the sun beds are free!

300dtc: I don't THINK you can use your ship card anywhere as they employ locals to run the bars, activities etc. I know if you have the UBP (which we did) you can't use it here.

We paid cash in dollars for the SUPs.

• 3 weeks later...

The water is very calm & is a nice relaxing swim. The beach is man made so very soft. Bring sandals or flip flops as it can get hot underfoot!

Snorkelling is doable but not brilliant.

The souvenir selection is small but adequate although I spoke with a local and he said all the goods are imported in from Asia!

Thanks Hollr. It's a great day to save some money and even the sun beds are free!

300dtc: I don't THINK you can use your ship card anywhere as they employ locals to run the bars, activities etc. I know if you have the UBP (which we did) you can't use it here.

We paid cash in dollars for the SUPs.

All shops on the island take your ships card as payment if that is the way you want to go.