My upsell experience today

collectingcoke

Well even if they sold it to them for 10k it's more then they would have received from a 4K upsell ....

They may be more discerning with the GV offers but you would think since you were already in an H4 full price you would definitely be in the running.

I'm not sure NCL would discount it that far. NCL would make more than the $4K upsell as they now have the vacated cabin to resell and so on down the line, albeit at a last minute fire sale pace. Still, I think there would be more money in it for NCL through upselling as long as it doesn't skip quickly to a lower cabin, which in this case they knew wouldn't happen.

None of the other suites, or anyone else booked on the ship, was given a chance at the GV. I think more than likely had to do with the other GV being booked at full price. NCL found a solution.

Thanks, Ate. Your theory makes perfect sense. I was in a Garden Villa on the Star, and the other villa strangely stayed vacant. They did maintenance on it that week. We did pay full price (but with 7 dividing it, it wasn't as painful) - and we booked early enough to have 3-7 sail free. Seemed odd to have it empty, when they could have gotten at least $10,000 to upgrade; but with your explanation, I think I now know why.

Thanks, Ate. Your theory makes perfect sense. I was in a Garden Villa on the Star, and the other villa strangely stayed vacant. They did maintenance on it that week. We did pay full price (but with 7 dividing it, it wasn't as painful) - and we booked early enough to have 3-7 sail free. Seemed odd to have it empty, when they could have gotten at least $10,000 to upgrade; but with your explanation, I think I now know why.

Do you really think they did maintenance on it because it was vacant?

Or

Do you think they kept it vacant because they needed to do maintenance on it?

I'm going with the 2nd theory as they can't sell it for $10,000 if it's falling apart

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Do you really think they did maintenance on it because it was vacant?

Or

Do you think they kept it vacant because they needed to do maintenance on it?

Sure, they may use this time for maintenance, but I'll add the third option of what a concierge told me when I was in the GV. They won't upsell the second if the first was booked full price because it is too likely the two parties will meet, start talking talk and bad feelings may arise when the price discrepancy is revealed. I have found people are very open about discussing their cruise costs.

Edited by Até

OP said they called the upsell number. I have been on many cruises and I have never been offered an upsell, neither has any of my family, so I think there must be a way for people to call this "upsell" number and get a better deal

This is from another thread

I'm on the ESCAPE and when I called after I received the e-mail they said that I could only do the bid

I called upsell Friday and asked for their offers, I was booked in a BB mid ship balcony (that I got for a steal!) on the 1/21/17 Epic. They offered 2 bedroom Haven Villa for $500 more pp, or Deluxe Owners suite for $1250 pp. They wouldn't haggle this time, and we took the Family Villa.

If your cruise is on Escape, Getaway or Epic, I don't think you can call upsell number, as you have to use the bid auction (email will be sent to you). For other cruisers, it seems to be best to wait to within a few weeks of the cruise to call Upsell.

it is too likely the two parties will meet, start talking talk and bad feelings may arise when the price discrepancy is revealed. I have found people are very open about discussing their cruise costs.

That certainly happened the last time I stayed in a GV. We'd both been upsold so we had great fun swapping notes.

We had 6 people in a 2 bedroom suite on Dawn and got a call to upgrade the week before we sailed to Garden Villa $5000 flat for all 6 people. I never called an upsell, just got the call and we took it

Being contacted by the upsell fairy to move from one cabin to another was the normal route. People already booked on a cruise calling upsell a few weeks out on the (intentionally?) leaked out phone number for the opportunity to move has been going on for about a year or so that I am aware of. Not even being booked on the cruise and having someone call and offer you the GV last minute is a new one to me.

Sure, they may use this time for maintenance, but I'll add the third option of what a concierge told me when I was in the GV. They won't upsell the second if the first was booked full price because it is too likely the two parties will meet, start talking talk and bad feelings may arise when the price discrepancy is revealed. I have found people are very open about discussing their cruise costs.

I totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using Forums