Question about the iConcierge app

my3sonsnj

Does anyone know if NCL has any plans to make their app compatible with tablets?

I prefer a tablet, especially on cruises since I typically lock up my cell phone for the duration or just leave it at home :eek:

I would love to be able to use the app on my tablet.

I'm fairly certain I've used it on my tablets. I have it on my Nexus 9 right now. I cannot test the features onboard (sounds like a reason to cruise tomorrow!), but the countdown to my next cruise is working. I believe I did have to take a copy of the app from my phone as one wasn't available in Play store for tablets. If you're android, I can link to my copy. If iOS, I don't know. I prefer my phone as I can more easily carry it everywhere.

FWIW, DH and I were able to use out Hangouts app to text each other while on Dawn in December. We connected to the free Wi-Fi (the one used by iConcierge), noticed notifications coming in, so tried it. It worked way better than iConcierge for texting. Both our devices were in airplane mode with only Wi-Fi on. I can't say about any other ship. It used to work with google mail on Epic several years ago. Then it was not available. I didn't try in on our last trip in Oct. (Epic). I'll definitely try it in Nov.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

I'm fairly certain I've used it on my tablets. I have it on my Nexus 9 right now. I cannot test the features onboard (sounds like a reason to cruise tomorrow!), but the countdown to my next cruise is working. I believe I did have to take a copy of the app from my phone as one wasn't available in Play store for tablets. If you're android, I can link to my copy. If iOS, I don't know. I prefer my phone as I can more easily carry it everywhere.

FWIW, DH and I were able to use out Hangouts app to text each other while on Dawn in December. We connected to the free Wi-Fi (the one used by iConcierge), noticed notifications coming in, so tried it. It worked way better than iConcierge for texting. Both our devices were in airplane mode with only Wi-Fi on. I can't say about any other ship. It used to work with google mail on Epic several years ago. Then it was not available. I didn't try in on our last trip in Oct. (Epic). I'll definitely try it in Nov.

I have a Nexus 9 as well. When I go to the playstore I can't download. It says the app is not compatible with my device. It is a WiFi only device, do you think that is the issue?

Edited by my3sonsnj

Have the App installed on the iPad Mini with 4G/LTE (+ WiFi) and activated previously onboard the BA. Just checked, the 8 digits unique number assigned then is still showing along with the +1 prefix (see screenshot - first registered with Nexus 5X then along with other devices) Don't have access to my Nexus 7 WiFi-only tablet at the moment, which I shall take a look.

Successfully installed don't necessary all the features would work, especially calling & texting as those involved the "radio" functions, even when it's all VoIP or WiFi-based. Android tablet designs are "slightly" different than those running iOS ... I have just a tiny idea the criteria used by the NCL App to allow installation or reject it as not compatible. Amazon tablets like the Fire, or other devices "modified", jailbroken, non-stocked/bootloader unlocked will likely and probably would failed security checks & not recognized.

0fbe94de42012fb0b9b4323ce50f2ee8.jpg

It would be nice if developers responsible for NCL's APP do a regular & period update to their Apps to keep it more "current" - not patching & bring the codes to meet newer specs for 14+ months ... just not acceptable in best practices for app software. Doing it should make things more reliable for the users and good for promotion satisfactory experience ...

I concur that using it on tablets would help avoid nasty billing surprises by keeping those smartphone in full Airplane Mode.

Edited by mking8288
No

I have a Nexus 9 as well. When I go to the playstore I can't download. It says the app is not compatible with my device. It is a WiFi only device, do you think that is the issue?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vru02167myoc3y/digiMobile.MainMenu.NCL.apk?dl=0 As I said, I had to pull it from my phone. This is a link to the apk in my drop box. If you're comfortable using it (it's clean and I've shared it with others on cc), do so. Otherwise, maybe you can get it from someone you know (and trust).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That's interesting to know about Google Hangouts. Our experiences with the iConcierge app on Android have been less than stellar...after finding texts that were delayed by days, or never delivered, phone calls & messages that don't go through, we pretty much gave up on it except for checking on our account.

Of course, what does work well are the ads they deliver to you via the app!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vru02167myoc3y/digiMobile.MainMenu.NCL.apk?dl=0 As I said, I had to pull it from my phone. This is a link to the apk in my drop box. If you're comfortable using it (it's clean and I've shared it with others on cc), do so. Otherwise, maybe you can get it from someone you know (and trust).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link and all the info!

Postscipt/followup - Nexus 7 WiFi tablet in my hands, it's no can't do - per Google's Play Store, incompatible and not on APKmirror site. However, only the messenger functions will work - calling features will not, by design.

iConcierge will install onto iPad/mini - but, only the messaging functions will work, the phone features do NOT work (like on my iPhone 5S or Nexus 5X)

Does anyone know if NCL has any plans to make their app compatible with tablets?

I prefer a tablet, especially on cruises since I typically lock up my cell phone for the duration or just leave it at home :eek:

I would love to be able to use the app on my tablet.

I have it on myiPad, seems to work fine.

• 2 weeks later...