Can I get the Surf Only internet package?

Soramor

On Harmony we bought the surf as cheaper....big mistake.

Was not much use at all.

Will by stream on our upcoming cruise...assume still C&A discounts so think will be cheaper to buy on board unless that drink and internet package reappear

In the link at post #6, Skier Girl was on board AoS this past Christmas and reported the "surf only" was basically useless as she kept getting bumped off. When she was using the "surf plus stream" she had no issues at all.

That is likely just a coincidence, Stream simply gives you higher speeds and has nothing to do with the connection itself.

That's the offer I jumped on. My husband can gladly do wirhout wifi. I'm the opposite. I've paid up too $100 for wifi on ships. The $8.99 deal was a no-brainer for me. I'm really interested to see how fast Voom is. Regardless, it will be great to not deal with airplane mode and rationing my wifi usage per day.

Sorry you missed the sale RCI had a few months ago. For our March HOTS cruise I got Voom Surf/Stream one device for $8.99 per day.

I asked RCI customer service that exact question. You may use multiple devices but only one can be connected at a time.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION if I may: If my husband and I are looking to check in with people back home or work periodically, can we get ONE DEVICE plan and just share as long as we are not both logged on simultaneously? Does that make sense? Like can whomever in the family use it just only one device at a time?

That is likely just a coincidence, Stream simply gives you higher speeds and has nothing to do with the connection itself.

Unless the bandwidth for surf only is restricted and the demand exceeds capacity which I believe is a factor here. By upgrading the bandwidth allotment, the stream package is allowing for larger amounts of simultaneous data transfer.

Unless the bandwidth for surf only is restricted and the demand exceeds capacity which I believe is a factor here. By upgrading the bandwidth allotment, the stream package is allowing for larger amounts of simultaneous data transfer.

But that does not affect being "bumped off" as the poster mentioned. Your chances of being "bumped off" do not depend on the tier of service you bought. I seriously doubt RCI' IT system is such that at peak demand times, they simply bump off Surf users over Stream users. The performance of the connection could be worlds apart and Surf may be useless due to speed compared to Stream, but you are not getting bumped off because you have Surf only.

Edited by Biker19

T Regardless, it will be great to not deal with airplane mode and rationing my wifi usage per day.

You better be in airplane mode, otherwise you may be in a for rude awakening when you get your phone bill at home.

Edited by Biker19

So I just put my devices in airplane mode when we board the ship, then connect to the Wi-Fi, and leave everything in airplane mode until we disembark on the last day, correct?

That's the best way to avoid charges from your cell carrier.

Now, if you are in a port, and want to make/receive a phone call (roaming charges may apply), you will need to take the phone out of Airplane Mode.

Edited by clarea

I hope the connections are pretty good on the Grandeur. I am traveling solo on this cruise, and my DH and I would like to FaceTime each night! So that he will know I am ok. It worked great on the Allure, but I don't know if there will be problems on the older ships. He and I had great connections to see the grandchildren on the Allure.

I hope the connections are pretty good on the Grandeur. I am traveling solo on this cruise, and my DH and I would like to FaceTime each night! So that he will know I am ok. It worked great on the Allure, but I don't know if there will be problems on the older ships. He and I had great connections to see the grandchildren on the Allure.

We had trouble with Facetime on Vision and Brilliance. Voice only should work better.