Anyone back from the Zenith?

Lisaanne

Lots of us are anxious to hear about the Zenith 11/5 cruise. Is anyone back? How was the ship after the drydock? When was Formal night? What was the dress on the other nights? I canask many. many questions. Please give us a review when you can. We are on the 11/19th sailing.

Thanks

Lisaanne

Please give us a review when you can. We are on the 11/19th sailing.

Lisaanne

Hey, Lisaanne: We are also on the 11/19 sailing and are dying to find out about the Zenith since dry dock. It's getting close. Are you excited yet? Just 8 more days and we'll be there. Maybe we could get together for a drink while on board? I have used these boards but never actually met any other cc's on a ship. See ya in Florida!

Hi Carnyman,

Come on over to the roll call board. We have a very long thread about our 11/19 sailing. We are planning meeting onboard with whoever wants to have fun! Let me know if you want a name tag.

See you on the roll call board and onboard!

Lisaanne

I'm back! (Finally!) We had flight delays leaving Miami (actually arriving in Newark NJ) and got home 2+ hours later than anticipated.

I'm really exhausted but I'll post what few things I can. Ask specific questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Ship was great (but then, I'm partial, Zenith was my first :) ) There was all new furniture in the Rondeveux Lounge (well, same uncomfortable seats but all new fabric). Lots of new carpeting in the hallways. Deck 12 had all new indoor/outdoor carpet, as did the pool deck.

Our cabin was on Europa Deck (deck 5). The carpeting in our cabin had NOT been changed, and the bedspread didn't appear to be new either. However, the hallway had new carpeting and while we were docked in Key West, they actually emptied one of the cabins and were installing new carpeting (and this morning before disembarkation, they were recarpeting a room 2 doors down from us) so I guess this upgrade is still a work in progress.

We found the food to be very good but not outstanding. There was no lobster dinner, and no midnight buffet.

Dress was as follows:

Saturday: Casual

Sunday: Formal (Sea Day)

Monday: Casual (Grand Cayman)

Tuesday: Informal (Sea Day)

Wednesday: Casual (Key West)

Shows were okay. The 60s show was actually the same show we saw in July of 2004 (But we still enjoyed it) The illusionist, Jamie Allen, was great as was the comedian Joe Mulligan.

The CD is a young man from Canada named Rob LeForest. Very nice, and did a great job.

There were 2 theme nights "Island Night Celebration" was celebrated Monday evening with a fruit and sherbert buffet around the pool. Then there was a "50's Sock Hop" on the last night (Wednesday) in the Rainbow Room.

I'm pretty tired so that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there will be lots of questions when I check back on cruise critic tomorrow, so fire away and I'll answer as quickly and as best as I can!

NO LOBSTER NIGHT????? Say it isn't so !!!!!!!

We are on b2b 11-14- and 11-19 and was anxiously awaiting your post.

Disappointed you didn't notice a new bedspread. Thought that was was the least they could do for all cabins.

Did your cabin at least look like it was really cleaned more than usual? Hopefully it was. Never been on a sailing immediately after a drydock and was expecting alot.

Well, regardless, three more days and we'll be onboard and enjoying all she has to ffer.

Thanks for the post, and will continue to watch for future installments until we fly out on Sun.

Luckyroot:

Thank you, it was nice of you to even come to this board after xcruising. That was a typo but I decided to leave it! Thanks for thinking of us.

We are dying for any word at all!!! Can't wait for 12/3. You'd think I haven't seen the sea for eons instead of less than 4 months. God, I am an addict.

I too am glad to see Luckyroot back with all the news about the Zeneth. My partner and I are also on the 12/3 sailing. We have one of the accessible cabins (5049) on the Europa deck. We wanted to experience one of the smaller ships. Next year we are on the Summitt.

I am dissapointed hearing about the food. I am REAL dissapointed about no midnight buffet. I love late night food. As someone who has read some of my other postings know, we cruise to eat. :)

I am dissapointed hearing about the food. I am REAL dissapointed about no midnight buffet. I love late night food. As someone who has read some of my other postings know, we cruise to eat. :)

Hi Barry. I'm not saying the food wasn't very very good. It was, there wasn't a single thing I ordered that wasn't absolutely delicious. It just didn't scream "wonderful....exotic....extra special" from the menu. I didn't try any of the fish dishes, but someone at our table did and literally scraped the plate clean it was so good.

There was the usual Duck ala orange (VERY good) lots of fish dishes, some pasta/seafood, lots of beef. The usual fruit soups (didn't try any this time around) Soups were all generally very good. Had a cold squash curry soup that was very thin & watery, not at all what I expected. Thinking back that's probably the only dish that I didn't finish.

Unfortunately for me, I had to come back to work today.......so for those leaving last minute, please post specific questions and I"ll try to respond before you go.

Will also start a new subject "just back from Zenith" if you'd prefer to post there.

Thanks for the review! Hopefully they'll get to all the soft goods in all the rooms soon. I am definitely expecting new bedspreads and new carpet since we're on the Bahamas deck. Sounds like a fun time; I can't wait.

Barry, you using/taking your cell? I'll probably make a few calls on Grand Cayman, $$$!

could be wrong but my understanding was, they were only doing the new bedspread etc on the upper decks this time. Hope we can get some more info. NMnita

We were on the last Zenith cruise before drydock (deck 5 Europa) and when we came back to the cabin after breakfast on the last day, the bedding was all removed, and the matresses were on end ... kinda strange if they were not redoing something, maybe the carpeting?

I thought the bathroom shower floor tiles were in pretty bad shape, with mold in the crevices... hopefully something done there...

Luckyroot, I agree with you on the food in the dining room at dinner and certainly not as outstanding as the 2 previous times on the Horizon. For example, Veal cordon bleu was absolutely awful, the filet mignon was dry and tough among other selections just OK. We loved the cruise though and look forward to sailing on the Zenith again.

Barry, you using/taking your cell? I'll probably make a few calls on Grand Cayman, $$$!

I am taking my cell. I still have to work even on a cruise. I will probably spend a couple hundred dollars on phone calls and that much on internet. Pricey, but still better than staying home! :)

Wish we were on one of those ships that has a micro cell on the ship and the cost is only $1.00 per minute. I forget which cruise line is doing that... it was a program with AT&T Wireless, so it is now Cingular.

We got home last night after spending 8 hours at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Whew, that was a long time. For those who asked about transfers......we got into Ft. Lauderdale about 8:30 pm Thursday night. We were spending 2 nights in South Beach before the cruise. There were not a lot of taxis waiting at that time of night. We found a driver to take us to South Beach, and it was $70 including tip. The taxi from South Beach to the cruise terminal was $19 plus tip. We were put in touch (thanks Vicki and Barb!) with a lady (thanks Leslie!) that had hired a bus for the return to Ft. Lauderdale for $16 per person which included baggage handling and tip. There is a form to complete if you want to take the Celebrity transfer to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. You must turn it in on the first day of the cruise. The cost was $17 per person, plus tip, I assume.

We had a CC cabin on deck 10. The bedspread seemed to be new, as did the shower curtain. The towels were not. The sheets must have been about 1000 thread count. They were GREAT!!! The duvet also seemed new. It, also, was great. I didn't lift up the sheets to see if the matress was new. I didn't notice the carpeting. There was a love seat in the cabin that was stained, as was the vanity (desk) chair.

On the first night at dinner, Camilla (the Captain's Club hostess) invited us to dine with Captain Margaratis. It was delightful. We had drinks before dinner in the Rendez-Vous lounge and then proceeded to the dining room. When you dine at the Captain's table, they must have special access to the kitchen. We placed our order, and within 2 minutes we began our meal. We had many different wines and each of the women received a rose after dinner. It was one of the high points of the trip. If I could figure out how we were chosen, I would do it every time. I think the main reason was that we were at a table for 2. They can't just ask 2 people from a table of 8 to join the Capitan. 2 of the other couples were also at tables for 2. 2 other ladies were already seated, so I'm not sure if they had been at a table for 2. She had cruised Celebrity at least 22 times. She was retired from the government and cruises a lot. It was weird about the table for 2. I had requested a large table. But it was our anniversary, so maybe that's the reason for out seating arrangement. We were presented with an anniversary cake the first night at dinner, and again on the third night. I'll bet the people around us wondered why we were having 2 anniversaries. I certainly was! Must have been a mistake. The last time were on RCI for an anniversary, they made you pay for the cake. Not here. You get 2 free cakes!

Anyway, where I was going with this, we were told that the dry dock was truly a dry dock, where they did a lot of mechanical work. Repainted the bottom of the ship, etc. They must have done work in the dining room, because out assistant waiter told us it was his job to be a "watcher". Many of the workers evidently like to take souvenirs from the ship. Silverware and the like. He did a 2 hour shift of watching each day.

It was a great cruise, and I wish I was back on the ship!:D

Hi, thanks for your review:) and glad you had a good time.

This is just an FYI....about being invited to the Captain's Table....

They have invited 2 people who normally sit at an 8 top to sit with

the Captain. They have also invited 1 person at an 8 top as well.

You get the invitation usually 1 to 2 days beforehand. (depending

on which night you are invited).

The reason I point this out....I have been invited 2 different times.

Both times I my table was an 8 top. Once a friend and I were invited

and once I was invited solo.

So the size of your regular table doesn't normally have much,

if anything to do with the invitation.

We stayed in cabin 9085. The carpet was new in hallways but not in cabin.

The food was ok at dinner,and there was no lobster any night. They do not do midnight buffets on any cruise less than 7 days. To get into CI they have to use the life boats off the ship because of damage to the boats that tender you to the island.

We just got back from the cruise in question. Our only complaint was the food was only "luke warm" each evening. Tasted good, but was not hot enough. Don't know if it sat in the kitchen too long or that our waiter was busy. Would suggest eating breakfast at the buffet each day - more choices & the food was warmer.

We were on the 6th deck & our bed cover looked new, as did the shower curtain & carpeting.

Entertainment was very good.

Hi,:) the question you asked has been topic many times over the years:

"Thanks for the info. I guess I was just trying to find a common thread. Do you have any ideas as to how someone is chosen? I would like to do it again sometime!"

You will get a lot of replies. Some folks say it is Suite Passengers,

others say it is how many times you have sailed with X,

others say it comes from Corporate HQ. And In the past when

there was a Social Hostess I think she might have had some input

on who sits with the Captain.

I have never had a suite and the first time I was invited was my

first cruise on X.

So I think the reasons for the invitation vary.

Do you remember which cruise line has the microcells?

From Cingular.com:

Celebrity Summit 1.99

Holland America Lines Vollendam 1.99

Island Escape 1.99

Norwegian Cruise Lines Crown 1.99

Norwegian Cruise Lines Dawn 1.99

Norwegian Cruise Lines Dream 1.99

Norwegian Cruise Lines Jewel 1.99

Norwegian Cruise Lines Star 1.99

Norwegian Cruise Lines Sun 1.99

Royal Majesty 1.99

Royal Navigator 1.99

Coverage is PCS and provided by Cingular. T-Mobile charges 4.99 perminute on these ships! Yikes! I really hope the Seranade OTS on RCI gets one soon. Besides NCL's newer ships, it seems totally random.

Archived