Tahiti

bobnpaml

The day on the private island was peaceful and relaxing. Plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas set up. Bring your water shoes and snorkel gear (the ship loans out the snorkel gear on the first day. we did not pick any up, as we had our own with us.). They have the kayaks and paddle boards over from the ship. There is a volleyball net set up, corn hole game. The BBQ lunch is amazing. It was just a calm, relaxing day. Some people did ships tours in the morning and then came over in the afternoon. There wasn't a way to meet a private tour, as the tenders took you from the ship directly to the island.

While on Moorea, we took Francky Frank's tour. He was fabulous. On Raiatea, there are some tour vendors in the building when you get off the ship. We wandered around and did some shopping and then went back on ship and hung by the pool. People said the kayak tour was nice.

Just a quick question, and thank you for your time. When you refer to the day on the "private island," are you referring to the second day in Bora Bora or the stop at Motu Mahaea? Also, who did you tour with in Tahiti, I assume for a half day. Thanks again for all your insight.

Great info! Thanks for all the details! We will be in Cabin #138 when we take this cruise later this year so it's good to hear that you had no issues in cabins 139 or 140! Do you recommend seasick pills?

The details you gave on the private motu day sound like they were for the Taha'a motu (Motu Mahaea?). On the 2nd day in Bora Bora, were you also able to tender to that private motu (Motu Tapu) throughout the day before returning to the motu for the evening BBQ event?

Finally, which evening did you choose for your Candles dinner, and what location/island would you recommend for Candles?

For our tour in Papeete, we used Tracy at Unique Tahiti (4-hour tour). She got very good reviews on TA, and we enjoyed the tour, even though it was crappy weather (rainy and overcast). She is a very funny lady and knows her stuff. She stopped at a pharmacy for us, as one person in our group needed cough medicine. FYI - they sell cough medicine with Codeine in it -- very inexpensive ($4-$5/bottle) and extremely effective.

The second night in Bora Bora is the island BBQ with entertainment. They give you "tender" times. I think ours was for 5 PM? The weather the second day for us in Bora Bora was rainy. We toured in the morning and were supposed to have a jet ski tour in the early afternoon (which we wound up canceling because it was raining), and when we returned to ship, we were informed the private event was cancelled. The rain began to clear, and the event was put back on. You will get a note in your cabin with your "tender" time. If you want to go on a later tender, they will accommodate you. You do not have access to this island during the day.

The private Motu day is after Bora Bora. The tender runs all day so you can go over and return whenever you want.

We had dinner at Candles the first night in Bora Bora and then had dinner there a second night (were on a waiting list and got in late) -- I think it was the night we were in Raiatea. It was great because we ate there when the ship was not moving. The filet is delicious. They serve the side dishes "family" style. The second time, only 4 of us went.

If you are lounging around the pool late in the day, beware that the staff starts "cleaning up" so that they can set up for Candles. They use the space where the loungers are placed during the day to set up the guest tables.

As for sea sickness, I don't think I've ever been (except for one occasion where I had too much to drink along with rough seas). A couple of the nights you could feel the ship rocking, but by then we were in our cabin and ready for bed. This is only our second "small" ship. The other was Oceania (550 passengers) in the Mediterranean. If you are prone to motion sickness, bring the pills along, just in case.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! It's odd. . . Someone else who recently took the Dreams of Tahiti cruise said they were allowed to tender back and forth to the private motu in Bora Bora until around 3pm on the day of the evening BBQ. I wonder if it was because it was raining when you were there that they didn't offer that, or that someone else had the motu booked during the day. . . I keep hearing conflicting accounts!

So if you had to choose one, would you recommend Candles on Raiatea while the ship is docked, or Candles on the first Bora Bora night, when the ship is anchored in the lagoon?