Help Norwegian Breakaway Newbie?

Scarlett625

My family and I will be cruising on the Norwegian Breakaway to Bahamas in October-November 2017 and we have some questions that I can't seem to find definitive answers on. Hopefully some posters can help out.

1.) We want to book a small cabana on Great Stirrup Cay. Do they charge your card right at booking? Other cruises I have been on "excursions" are not charged until the day of the excursion in case the trip is cancelled (I guess to avoid hassles of refunds). The cabana's are pricey, but it's going to be our only "excursion" of the trip (if it doesn't get cancelled like I heard GSC often does).

2.) We have a 13 and 14 year old who will probably like to explore the ship on their own (ie...visit teen club, sports deck, etc...). Since the Uptown Grill has been changed to Margaritaville and is now an a la carte menu, I guess they will have to go to the buffet if they want a burger, slice of pizza or snack without an upcharge. I read that O'Sheehan's is complimentary, but can 2 teenagers go in and get a snack on their own? I saw that they had wings and burgers, I'm just not sure if they would be allowed to go in there without us. My kids are very well behaved, but I don't want to make other passengers uncomfortable.

3.) Tipping: We have only cruised on Disney, so you had the same wait staff your entire cruise and knew exactly where your gratuity money goes. How does that work with the specialty dining rooms? Do you tip in the Specialty dining rooms? Do you tip at Taste/Savor or are they the same main dining room? Do you tip at O'Sheehans when getting food? I just want to make sure that everyone is compensated when they should be, but I also don't want to break the bank by tipping when we shouldn't be.

Thank you in advance for any advice. Also if you can think of anything else that might be beneficial, please feel free to include.

My family and I will be cruising on the Norwegian Breakaway to Bahamas in October-November 2017 and we have some questions that I can't seem to find definitive answers on. Hopefully some posters can help out.

2.) We have a 13 and 14 year old who will probably like to explore the ship on their own (ie...visit teen club, sports deck, etc...). Since the Uptown Grill has been changed to Margaritaville and is now an a la carte menu, I guess they will have to go to the buffet if they want a burger, slice of pizza or snack without an upcharge. I read that O'Sheehan's is complimentary, but can 2 teenagers go in and get a snack on their own? I saw that they had wings and burgers, I'm just not sure if they would be allowed to go in there without us. My kids are very well behaved, but I don't want to make other passengers uncomfortable.

3.) Tipping: We have only cruised on Disney, so you had the same wait staff your entire cruise and knew exactly where your gratuity money goes. How does that work with the specialty dining rooms? Do you tip in the Specialty dining rooms? Do you tip at Taste/Savor or are they the same main dining room? Do you tip at O'Sheehans when getting food? I just want to make sure that everyone is compensated when they should be, but I also don't want to break the bank by tipping when we shouldn't be.

Thank you in advance for any advice. Also if you can think of anything else that might be beneficial, please feel free to include.

I sailed on BA in 2014, so I can address points 2 and 3:

O'Sheehans has two sections, the bar/game area and a more traditional dining area. They should be able to get a table and order what they like in the "restaurant", if they try at the bar they may be asked to move to the dining area.

Tipping on Breakaway is optional, as you'll be charged roughly $14/person/day to cover all gratuities. If you feel someone has gone above and beyond, when the slip comes to sign a drink/meal/etc to your room, there is a tip line where you can add an additional gratuity.

Hope that helps, I'm sailing on Breakaway again next month so let me know if you have any other questions!

Just to clarify the tipping point.

You are charged the daily charge ($13.50 per person per day) which covers housekeeping and also the servers in the main dining room (amongst others). This can be altered, although I'm not sure of the current procedure for doing so.

When you buy drinks, or eat at a speciality restaurant, you are charged an 18% autogratuity. This can't be changed. If you have the dining or beverage package you pay the 18% on the value of the package.

So, you don't need to do anything if you don't want, and your tips are covered. Obviously, if you want to tip more then the staff will appreciate it.

You don't get a slip to sign these days when you buy a drink, so if you did want to tip bar staff extra then take some cash.

Edited by KeithJenner

You are charged the daily charge ($13.50 per person per day) which covers housekeeping and also the servers in the main dining room (amongst others). This can be altered, although I'm not sure of the current procedure for doing so.

When you buy drinks, or eat at a speciality restaurant, you are charged an 18% autogratuity. This can't be changed. If you have the dining or beverage package you pay the 18% on the value of the package.

So, you don't need to do anything if you don't want, and your tips are covered. Obviously, if you want to tip more then the staff will appreciate it.

You don't get a slip to sign these days when you buy a drink, so if you did want to tip bar staff extra then take some cash.

Thanks KeithJenner, apologies that my recollection was out-of-date.

I sailed on BA in 2014, so I can address points 2 and 3:

O'Sheehans has two sections, the bar/game area and a more traditional dining area. They should be able to get a table and order what they like in the "restaurant", if they try at the bar they may be asked to move to the dining area.

Tipping on Breakaway is optional, as you'll be charged roughly $14/person/day to cover all gratuities. If you feel someone has gone above and beyond, when the slip comes to sign a drink/meal/etc to your room, there is a tip line where you can add an additional gratuity.

Hope that helps, I'm sailing on Breakaway again next month so let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much for your answers! They are really helpful.

I'm glad there is an separate eating area away from the bar for the kids to grab a bite if we are not around and the buffet doesn't appeal to them. They really enjoyed their independence on our last cruise this past October. They would grab a burger or pizza with friends without mom and dad hovering, so I want them to feel the same independence on this cruise.

The tipping makes complete sense. So simple, yet, I could not get the concept through my head...LOL!!

Do you make reservations for specialty restaurants before you get on the ship or do you have to wait until you get on the ship? Also do you have to make reservations for the three main dining rooms or do you just show up?

I hope you enjoy your cruise next month :D

Thank you, as well.

We normally tip 18-20% at home, so that will work out fine for us. We can always add a little more on top of that.

Tipping the bartenders makes sense. We got the UBP for the "Free at Sea" and I saw that we were charged a beverage service charge. I'm assuming that is the gratuity. Although, it's a good lump sum, it's not much when you consider it's spread out among all the bartenders on the ship. We will make sure to bring a good amount of singles for extra tips.

Do you make reservations for specialty restaurants before you get on the ship or do you have to wait until you get on the ship? Also do you have to make reservations for the three main dining rooms or do you just show up?

Dining reservations open up 90 days prior to sailing for all restaurants, including the MDRs, and you can book them through your reservation on the NCL website. On board, there are touch screens located in the elevator lobbies that allow you to book dining and show reservations.

The specialty restaurants tend to fill up more quickly at the "prime times" with reservations, so if you have a night and/or time you specifically want for a birthday/anniversary/etc., it helps to book specialty earlier.

You can book MDRs ahead of time too, but I never had much of a problem walking up and getting a table. Sometimes there's a wait at typical times, but nothing worse than going out to dinner on land. Also if one restaurant is busy, you can always try one of the other two, especially as Taste and Savor are in close proximity.

Dining reservations open up 90 days prior to sailing for all restaurants, including the MDRs, and you can book them through your reservation on the NCL website. On board, there are touch screens located in the elevator lobbies that allow you to book dining and show reservations.

The specialty restaurants tend to fill up more quickly at the "prime times" with reservations, so if you have a night and/or time you specifically want for a birthday/anniversary/etc., it helps to book specialty earlier.

You can book MDRs ahead of time too, but I never had much of a problem walking up and getting a table. Sometimes there's a wait at typical times, but nothing worse than going out to dinner on land. Also if one restaurant is busy, you can always try one of the other two, especially as Taste and Savor are in close proximity.

Thank you so much. You have been super helpful and my anxiety about this trip has decreased significantly.

Our first two cruises we had late dining and our last cruise we had the earlier dining (all Disney). I have to say I enjoyed eating later better than the earlier time, so not going at peak times won't bother us. We'd like to try two of the specialty restaurants (Teppanyaki's and Moderno). We'd also like to try all the MDR's at least once and maybe try the buffet once or twice, since Disney doesn't do a dinner buffet and we thought that might be a good option for days that we are out in port and don't want to rush back early just to get ready for dinner.

I will definitely look into it at the 90 days out. I'm a OCD planner...so waiting the 196 days to book dining may just be the death of me...LOL!!!

Even though tipping is included my husband likes to tip a bartender he becomes friendly with. Last time that was the one at O'Sheehan's, I forget his name :(

Usually I like to tip when someone goes out of their way for me, for example I like to tip when I get served a drink at the pool by the rotating bar staff. Nothing like 15% or 20% back home, more like a dollar or two or three :)

I did tip on top of a tip at the spa, but I probably won't do any services this time.

We usually tip the daycare workers and also our cabin steward (if he/she is friendly or does a good job) or we ask them for a lot.

It's really up to you :)

Did they go paperless and get rid of the slips you have to sign when you buy a drink? I can't remember not signing something last year, but we didn't have the UBP on the Gem last January... Interesting! Leaving in 12 days :)

Did they go paperless and get rid of the slips you have to sign when you buy a drink? I can't remember not signing something last year, but we didn't have the UBP on the Gem last January... Interesting! Leaving in 12 days :)

They changed about a year ago, from memory. It is just if you have the UBP. If you are paying by the drink then you still have to sign. Sorry, my post wasn't very clear.

We were still signing slips on the Escape in November 2015, but they had got rid of them by the time I was on the Epic last May.

Edited by KeithJenner

Even though tipping is included my husband likes to tip a bartender he becomes friendly with. Last time that was the one at O'Sheehan's, I forget his name :(

Usually I like to tip when someone goes out of their way for me, for example I like to tip when I get served a drink at the pool by the rotating bar staff. Nothing like 15% or 20% back home, more like a dollar or two or three :)

I did tip on top of a tip at the spa, but I probably won't do any services this time.

We usually tip the daycare workers and also our cabin steward (if he/she is friendly or does a good job) or we ask them for a lot.

It's really up to you :)

I HIGHLY recommend tipping the counselors at the Splash Academy. My kids were there everyday, and these people are among the hardest working people on the ship. Plus, they have such a huge impact on your cruise, and always have to be "on". Tough job...I know the OP was talking about teens, but I added this since the thready has evolved to add tipping into it.

1.) We want to book a small cabana on Great Stirrup Cay. Do they charge your card right at booking? Other cruises I have been on "excursions" are not charged until the day of the excursion in case the trip is cancelled (I guess to avoid hassles of refunds). The cabana's are pricey, but it's going to be our only "excursion" of the trip (if it doesn't get cancelled like I heard GSC often does).

Yes, they charge you right away. Book as soon as you can, I watched daily until they became available to make sure I was able to get one. I love the cabanas!!! Enjoy your cruise!

1. Yes they do charge you at the same time you book. The cabanas seemed cool when I was there in November. If you have the funds, go for it and enjoy. If the stop is cancelled you will get your money back.

2. I would recommend the buffet area. I remember when I went on they have a kids section where they can get exactly what they want - pizza, hot dogs, etc so they shouldn't have a problem getting food from there. O'Sheehans is also a good place to get wings, but unless they don't like everything there I think the buffet would be good for them, they wouldn't have to swipe a card or wait at a table to be served. Sitting in the buffet area is also nice b/c they get nice views of outside.

3. As far as tipping is concerned, I think the room steward and the person who serves you drinks (or comes around to ask if you want a drink) can/should be tipped at the end of your vacation. If others help along the way and you feel so moved they could get tipped also.

I HIGHLY recommend tipping the counselors at the Splash Academy. My kids were there everyday, and these people are among the hardest working people on the ship. Plus, they have such a huge impact on your cruise, and always have to be "on". Tough job...I know the OP was talking about teens, but I added this since the thready has evolved to add tipping into it.

I totally agree! We usually make 2 thank you/tip cards for the Splash Academy, room steward, butler, and concierge before we cruise. The first note says something like "We know you are going to make our vacation special." and we put in $100 and give it to them on the first night. Then on the last night or as we are getting off the ship we give another thank you note. "Thank you for the excellent service and making our cruise memorable." We add our contact information and then another $100 - $200, depending on the service. It's really nice to hear from them again. We are friends with so many of them on FB, and we keep in touch. That's just how we do it. You can do whatever you wish.