Is anything open in Paris on May 1st

compozer

I understand May 1 is a national holiday.

I read that every thing closes. Will there be anything opened in Paris to see? What about restaurants?

Thanks

We are going to be in Paris for 6 days and May 1st is one of them so hopefully I can help.

It is a National Holiday and a good onw.

A good day to do some walking and explore along the Seine, Marais or St. Germain des Pres.

There is a parade on May 1st and tons of lilies of the valley to enjoy. (The symbolic flower).

Apparently the Eiffel Tower is open but I would expect long queues.

There are maybe 4 museums I saw that were open (not the Louvre) but I think the Picasso Museum may be. Going to double check as we get closer to the time.

A great day to soak in the ambience, enjoy some people watching and see some of Paris on foot ;)

Thanks so much for the information. We will be getting off the ship in LeHarve one day early. Why go to Southampton and have to get back to France 12 hours later.

We decided to be lazy and not do much when we get off the ship, maybe a local tour out in the country. We thought we would stay overnight in LeHarve, sleep in and take an afternoon train to Paris on the 1st. We are hoping the trains will be running. Never know what other countries do on their holidays.

Looking into hotels now. My friend stayed at the Mercury by the Eiffel Tower twice and was very happy with it.

My mom is from New Brunswick.

Thaks for your help.

Sandy

Thanks so much for the information. We will be getting off the ship in LeHarve one day early. Why go to Southampton and have to get back to France 12 hours later.

We decided to be lazy and not do much when we get off the ship, maybe a local tour out in the country. We thought we would stay overnight in LeHarve, sleep in and take an afternoon train to Paris on the 1st. We are hoping the trains will be running. Never know what other countries do on their holidays.

Looking into hotels now. My friend stayed at the Mercury by the Eiffel Tower twice and was very happy with it.

My mom is from New Brunswick.

Thaks for your help.

Sandy

You are most welcome.

I think the trains do run from what I have seen. You will have to wait a bit to book, but do so as I understand they are really busy on vacation days.

Plus it's cheaper if you book early ;)

Hi to your Mum wherever she may be in NB or elsewhere.

Edited by kazu

Thanks for the suggestion to make a reservation for the train. We did that on one trip from London a couple years ago.

Thanks for the hello to mum but, sadly she is not with us. She was stationed in England for two years. Sent over to set up hospitals in preparation for DDay. Her first stop was LaHarve and she lived at a chateau outside of Paris for a while.

Sandy