NCL Epic - Naples visit vesuvius & pompeii

steel1203

Hello

I am early stages of organising how to spend our time when we dock at Naples and wanted to check with some experts on my plans so far. We are cruising in July, so going to be hot! Ideally want to get off the ship asap take train to pompeii (is it a long walk from port to station) visit the ruins and then get the bus up to vesuvius (you can get tickets/trip from train station I think). So firstly, has anyone else done this itinerary? My thoughts are to allow 6 hrs to do both and is it best to visit ruins first and then go up the volcano (want to walk to the summit albeit it is a 30 min walk?).

Visiting both is something my family would like to do, all are fit so no mobility worries

Any guidance gratefully appreciated

if there are a few of you have you thought about using a taxi?

as you disembark there will be taxis lined up with English speaking drivers offering to take you to the main sites and collect you after 2 hours free time

It's a fixed price which is on a laminated sheet in the taxi

We got one to take us to Herculaneum-I believe it was about 70 euros which between 4 of us was reasonable

He was very keen to then take us on to Vesuvius for an extra fee but would have been too much walking for my husband

Depending on the time of your arrival you have two public transit options for getting to Pompei. The Circumvesuviana train departs from Porta Nolana station, which is a mile and a quarter walk from the cruise port. These trains depart at least two each hour.

Alternately, if you arrive in time there is a bus to Pompei that departs from Piazza Immacolatella, just a third of a mile inside the port from the cruise port. I prefer the bus because you almost always get a seat (not at all true on the train), the AC works (also not the case on the train), and there's only one stop between the start of the ride and Pompei. On the down side, the bus stop is two-tenths of a mile from the entrance to the ruins while the train station is right around the corner. The price of the two rides is exactly the same.

For an extra euro you can take a tram or bus from the cruise port to the Circumvesuviana station to avoid the mile and a quarter walk.

At Pompei you have two options for getting to Vesuvio. There is the public bus or you can use one of the private tour companies that work out of the Circumvesuviana train station. With the public bus you purchase your own ticket for the park and trail walk at Vesuvio, with the tour companies that cost is part of their fee.

If you decide to use the public bus I would recommend laying out your visit to the ruins in one direction, entering at Porta Marina (near the bus stop and Circumvesuviana Pompei Scavi station) and exiting at Anfiteatro, where the bus to Vesuvio starts. This is the most efficient use of your time and energy.

To return to Naples, if you use the private tour companies you'll be returned to the Circumvesuviana Pompei Scavi station, so you just get on the train there.

If you use the public bus I would return to the starting point at Anfiteatro and use the Circumvesuviana Pompei station, on the Poggiomarino/Naples line. This train is far, far less crowded than the tourist line (Sorrento/Naples, stopping at Pompei Scavi) and it's closer to the Anfiteatro entrance/exit and the Vesuvio bus stop.

This map of Pompei may help you understand my prior post.

You'll find the Porta Marina entrance to the ruins in quadrant C2.

The Circumvesuviana Pompei Scavi station is just to the left in C1.

The stop for the bus from Naples is just below the Porta Marina entrance in D2.

The Anfiteatro entrance/exit and the starting/ending point for the public bus to Vesuvio is in C4.

The Circumvesuviana Pompei station (Napes/Poggiomarino line) is in C6.

Map here: http://unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf