Priority boarding status for tenders

Spideysmum

I'm one of those who has been saved from being left behind by being on a Princess tour up in Alaska. I had planned on going salmon fishing, but all of the salmon fishing boats were cancelled due to weather, so I went halibut fishing instead. If you know anything about halibut fishing, you end up fairly far out in deeper (200+ feet) water. Great fun was had; much fish were caught, but the weather socked in all of a sudden as we were about to head back in.

Because of the rain, low clouds, and wind, it took forever to get back to the dock, get us all out of our slicker suits, and get paperwork filled out for those of us who wanted fish shipped home. The ship's last call was for 4:30 with departure at 5:00. I know that the 6 of us from my boat (and there were 2 other boats with us) cleared the gangway no earlier than 5:10. They quite literally rolled it up behind us.

Had that not been a Princess tour, I have no doubt that we'd have all been left behind.

Reliable independent operators get you back to the pier in plenty of time :). The "ship doesn't sail without you" line is a PR ploy by the cruise line to scare people into taking their tours - usually with many more people than independent tours, often shorter, often more expensive.

Agree totally.....in all the cruises we have taken the only excursions we are aware of coming back really late have been Princess excursions....never ever had a problem with the independent and private excursions we have booked all over the world.....we have waited more then a few times on Princess excursions for people to return back to the bus....always seems like there are those who could care less about the groups time or schedule....:cool:

• 2 months later...

Consider yourself lucky you never had to wait to disembark at a destination.

I will never forget our St Petersburg experience.

8 of us hired a private tour guide, and she INSISTED that the morning of our tour, we get at the front of the line and get off, all 8 of us together. We met up the night before and made sure everyone was on the same page.

We quickly learned why this nugget was gold.

They had ONE guy stamping paperwork to get you off, one guy for 3,000+ people? When we returned from touring the chatter was loud and ugly.

Took over 3 hours for everyone who wanted to to get off. Princess busses had to wait to fill up...some people were refusing to even get off on day 2.

Day two, there were 2 guys pushing papers to process people.

My original thought, Princess wasn't greasing the right palms, or enough palms.

This was a few years ago, but the memory lives on

Mommas,

Certainly not like that in 2015, there were 2 rooms with agents( certainly at least 6 in the room we were directed to) Eclipse was at the 'new' port, which took the larger ships. Here it can be seen from a catamaran. The only visible building is the new football stadium which was being built for 2018 World Cup.

77d0a8d935c6f28464240021a295ee5e.jpg

I wonder if you were at a different terminal? In 2002 we were on the Black Prince. This was a smaller ship which moored at English Bridge, which was closer to the city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by upwarduk