Internet?

Karen Lynn

For those who were recently on the Eurodam, do they have the 'unlimited' packages?

I sailed this ship in 2012 and they had just upgraded, and I found the internet to be amazing and had no problems uploading photos.

While I'm on a cruise I work so this is important to me. Normally I don't do VOIP but on the Oasis in October the internet was so amazing I was able to make a lot of calls with virtually nothing dropping. VOIP on the E-dam would be a plus but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks!

No. We were on a month ago. It's by the minute, and unless they recently fixed something, the Internet was really, really slow. Do not hold your breath. You will die.

Generally speaking, the WiFi has always been about ISDN speed at a minimum. (That's 128kbps.) I've had speeds as high as T1 (1.54mbps) on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2014. Last month on the Eurodam, the speeds were so slow and the latency was so bad that I couldn't get a speed test to complete. I purchased 250 minutes for $100 and wound up not using 75 of them. Fortunately my cell phone carrier, T-Mobile, had fast speeds in all our ports and I could either use my phone or tether my laptop.

I'd recommend a lightweight mail client no matter which ship you're on. You don't want to rely on webmail if you can help it. Download your mail. Get offline. Do your work. Get online and upload.

Also turn off background updates and anything else that might suck up your bandwidth. Luckily, I've been working online since the days of the early modems, so I have all the tricks down.

POA1, Will you expand on your comment of a lightweight mail client please.

... and each person in the cabin could have their own account provided they were separate cabin accounts.
That isn't necessary either. Last month on the Oosterdam I discovered that after I had bought a time package I was no longer offered the free browsing of the NY Times or the HAL site - so I created a second wifi account in my DW's name for that purpose. Edited by jtl513

Thunderbird is one. It connects to the email server directly and stores your email locally. You can then disconnect and read the email at your leisure without using up minutes.

Personally, I'm probably going the tablet route. My email will get sucked down onto the tablet, and I'll read it after I disconnect using the Android email app.

Like Buu said, Thunderbird is a good option, but just about any native mail client would work. Instead of. lightweight, I should have said something that allows you to work offline. You don't want to be forced to burn minutes while you read and respond to emails using web mail.

I use a program called Mailwasher Pro which just downloads the headers and the first few lines of each message. It's sort of a pre processor that allows me to clean up the mail on the server before downloading it. It's kind of overkill for most people, but I get between 800 and 1,200 messages a day and have a slew of email accounts.

Once I've cleaned up my email with Mailwasher, I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my main mail client and MS Outlook for a few customer's accounts. My situation is a bit complicated. I think Thunderbird would do the trick for most people.

Windows Live Mail works fine for me. Is that still free from MS?

Yes. You need Windows 7, 8, or 10. It's under Windows Essentials on Microsoft's site. It used to be under Windows Live Essentials.

Any one have any luck turning in the internet credit from XploreFour for other things, ie, more real OBC, etc.? I have no use for the internet. I'd trade $200 internet for $50 OBC.
Post #22 said they got just a general $200 OBC credit, but didn't say it was from Ex4.