Jeans on Viking?

abbykate

The comments regarding dress are ridiculous in my opinion. While my attire may not be to your liking, I am never embarrassed or ashamed with my clothing choices. friendlyfifer, I find your comments pretentious and offensive but to each his own. I will dress my way and not apologize, if you choose to be disgusted - don't look.

Comments such as these are the reason we cancelled a cruise with an 'upscale' cruise line, if my clothing choices not good enough, you're not the type of people I want to be with.

The comments regarding dress are ridiculous in my opinion. While my attire may not be to your liking, I am never embarrassed or ashamed with my clothing choices. friendlyfifer, I find your comments pretentious and offensive but to each his own. I will dress my way and not apologize, if you choose to be disgusted - don't look.

Comments such as these are the reason we cancelled a cruise with an 'upscale' cruise line, if my clothing choices not good enough, you're not the type of people I want to be with.

I had never sailed with Viking before so I checked their suggested dress code to ensure I took the right sort of clothes. Many other guests on our cruise clearly did not care about this and that of course is their prerogative. It did not impact on our cruise in any way.

However, I must admit It was odd to us to see people wearing hats inside. Possibly this is a cultural thing. To each his own.

I completely agree with you. The 'request' by the poster that we shower and change clothes before dinner is beyond reason. I suggest she/he would be happiest with a private table (I wonder if he/she showers and changes clothes before eating out at a restaurant

at home).

Well, this certainly turned into a lively discussion!

Ftr, hats are removed at the table here in San Antonio also. Even a Stetson.

Little did you know what a can of worms you had opened!

Some of the most acrimonious threads on Cruise Critic are those dealing with dress codes.

The problems with comments such as these is that they represent the opinion of such a small, small percentage of the passengers. Naysayers tend to be vociferous and want everyone to think that they speak for everyone on board when in truth they are speaking only for themselves.

In other words, don't give up on that "upscale" cruise line just because of the comments of a few people. You may find that it is not at all what the naysayers have told you it is.

The problems with comments such as these is that they represent the opinion of such a small, small percentage of the passengers. Naysayers tend to be vociferous and want everyone to think that they speak for everyone on board when in truth they are speaking only for themselves.

In other words, don't give up on that "upscale" cruise line just because of the comments of a few people. You may find that it is not at all what the naysayers have told you it is.

Agreed. I sailed on Regent 2 years ago and their casual/elegant casual worked very well.

Speaking for myself I don't care what you wear, but you should not look like you just finished cutting the lawn or similar.

At our ages if you don't know what appropriate attire is for a given situation you will never know.

If you are one of those people that say I payed my money and I will look like a bum if I wish, I will be sure to avoid you.

Little did you know what a can of worms you had opened!

Some of the most acrimonious threads on Cruise Critic are those dealing with dress codes.

And all I wanted to do was make sure I was following the rules! HA!

For more pot-stirring, see the other Jeans thread hovering toward the top of the Viking Ocean forum. I really got some hackles up over there. Apparently age is the other sensitive subject. Yikes! :eek:

And all I wanted to do was make sure I was following the rules! HA!

For more pot-stirring, see the other Jeans thread hovering toward the top of the Viking Ocean forum. I really got some hackles up over there. Apparently age is the other sensitive subject. Yikes! :eek:

In any case, enjoy your cruise and don't let the fashion police ruin it for you.

Save

that they in turn police their policy.

I think that Viking has made it clear that it considers us to be mature adults who are, for the most part, capable of following rules and that it will "police" only the most egregious of violations of its dress policy--or any other ship-board policy.

Edited by Peregrina651

I completely agree with you. The 'request' by the poster that we shower and change clothes before dinner is beyond reason. I suggest she/he would be happiest with a private table (I wonder if he/she showers and changes clothes before eating out at a restaurant

at home).

I love a good argument so this thread has been fun.

On our Viking cruise we had no particular issues. However, from a personal point of view, I would prefer that my dining companion did have a shower, or at least a wash and brush up, before dinner after a hard days sightseeing often in high temperatures.

It is also true that if I am going out to a restaurant at home I would shower and change but that is because I have been walking the dog, shopping or in the garden. If I was walking out of a smart office then that might be different.

I like to change in the evening on board ship because I think of dinner as an 'occasion'. I love being waited on and the whole theatre of the experience. As you can tell I am not a big fan of the buffet, but that is where I would go if I was rushing back from a long days sightseeing and did not have time to change.

On our Viking cruise we had no particular issues. However, from a personal point of view, I would prefer that my dining companion did have a shower, or at least a wash and brush up, before dinner after a hard days sightseeing often in high temperatures.

It is also true that if I am going out to a restaurant at home I would shower and change but that is because I have been walking the dog, shopping or in the garden. If I was walking out of a smart office then that might be different.

I like to change in the evening on board ship because I think of dinner as an 'occasion'. I love being waited on and the whole theatre of the experience. As you can tell I am not a big fan of the buffet, but that is where I would go if I was rushing back from a long days sightseeing and did not have time to change.

+1 Pam.

Hope Lottie and I will pass muster when we meet up again at the end of May:D

You sound very much like me!

I was one of those younger passengers wearing my dark jeans to dinner on the January 8 sailing of the Sea, as was my husband.

Not every night, and not to Manfredi's, but a couple of the nights, we paired our dark jeans with a blouse or blouse/sweater (me) or with a tucked in polo shirt/dress shirt (him) and black shoes. We did not feel out of place or underdressed and the crew did not seem to mind.

For context - I work in a very casual field and my dark jeans take me to work as well, plus we were celebrating a forthcoming addition to our family, and I only had so many dresses that fit to bring with me!

If your husband wants to wear dark jeans that look neat with a tucked in dress shirt (and perhaps a nice leather belt too?) I think he will be fine.

I was one of those younger passengers wearing my dark jeans to dinner...

and the crew did not seem to mind.

People do all sorts of things that the crew may "mind", but they will usually not say anything. After all, you are the customer and it takes some serious issues for the crew to "address" a passenger.

Just pointing out that the lack of any comment by the crew did not make it okay or valid.

Personally, I think you probably looked just fine and I am not one that would have a problem with someone wearing decent jeans.

T-shirts, ball caps, or what might pass as gym or sleep outfits become questionable and maybe even annoying. Not enough to stop eating of course. And surely not to stop drinking - LOL!

Having cruised on large Ocean lines and on Viking river cruises, I prefer the casual dress code of Viking. Those who are appalled probably don't really belong on a Viking cruise. I have never seen anyone on the river cruises not fit in because they had jeans on. I think that in the more formal restaurants a nice shirt and dress pants are appropriate but Viking is a more casual type of cruise line and people who book on Viking appreciate that fact. We plan to wear casual dress clothes to dinner but nothing more than what we wear to the office as business casual, I think the days of gowns/dresses and suits is slowing going the way of the typewriter and people either adapt or look out of place in their over the top dressing.

Edited by chlives60