Breakaway 13 Day Southern Caribbean Review with lots of pictures (plus Haven) again

ncklhaus

The view backward after the door was reopened. The emergency lights were still on.

20170107_104904_zpsv2kbfu9a.jpg

It's a blurry picture, but it answers the question about whether or not you are allowed to decorate your door.

20170107_104909_zps9nayjalt.jpg

All the way at the end of the hallway is the exit from the Haven on Deck 15. Make a right out that door and you are on the pool deck.

20170107_104915_zpsjxtdhn1j.jpg

Emergency lights by the Haven exit door

20170107_105018_zps3glnt0at.jpg

20170107_105024_zpscbelfrab.jpg

After the drill, we got off the ship to do some shopping. I did not have any luck finding underwear.

Mike wasn't feeling well again so he stayed behind. You can see him on the balcony again.

The size of the ship always amazes me.

20170107_105341_zpsymjctagw.jpg

When we left the ship we really hadn't eaten and it was hot. So what should we do? Let's get frozen yogurt. It's a self serve and then weigh it place. The pineapple and mango frozen yogurt with fresh fruit was unbelievably delicious. I'd go back to Tortola just to go here again.

20170107_120253_zpsvfqzg24a.jpg

20170107_120259_zpsckv8e6zu.jpg

20170107_115613_zpsefee1dhf.jpg

20170107_115623_zpstrihldio.jpg

They had a town square with benches in the shade. So we sat down and ate our yogurt and listened to the live music.

Right next to the frozen yogurt place, actually attached to it was a bubble tea place. I needed to try it.

20170107_121343_zps2k4nbfc3.jpg

Oh my yum. They make the most refreshing teas and add these fruit "bubbles" in the bottom. You get a big straw and when you drink the tea, you get a mouthful of the bubbles. Ingenious and delicious. I'll definitely return there too.

20170107_121349_zps6hpy8ri8.jpg

We walked around a little more, bought some trinkets and then headed back to the ship.

20170107_123741_zpsw7ah7pap.jpg

20170107_123804_zpspq0jhxja.jpg

20170107_123817_zpsvtnzw7ze.jpg

By now it's 1:30 and we are all hungry. Let's go for lunch in the Haven.

So I'm there doing my thing, taking pictures of our food and there is a couple sitting at the next table.

I take a picture of my drink. I have no remembrance of what it was. Maybe a margarita, maybe not. Edited to add: It was the drink of the day "Daydreamers Daiquiri"

20170107_132803_zpsyrm9ogc0.jpg

I take a blurry picture of Mike's French Dip

20170107_134914_zpssmcxt0hu.jpg

And I take a picture of my Diver Scallops. They were SO good!

20170107_134928_zpsfq3ae0dc.jpg

Back to the couple sitting near us. They were German. They were speaking German. She said some things that were not so nice about me taking pictures in German. How do I know this? First giveaway was her scrunched up face. Second was her tone of voice as she was speaking and looking my way. But the clincher was that Mike is German and is fluent in German.

I should have taken a picture of their faces when he said to me in German "People shouldn't assume that they are the only ones that speak a language and maybe they should stop speaking poorly of people". Priceless.

Edited by ncklhaus

By now it's 1:30 and we are all hungry. Let's go for lunch in the Haven.

So I'm there doing my thing, taking pictures of our food and there is a couple sitting at the next table.

I take a picture of my drink. I have no remembrance of what it was. Maybe a margarita, maybe not. Edited to add: It was the drink of the day "Daydreamers Daiquiri"

20170107_132803_zpsyrm9ogc0.jpg

I take a blurry picture of Mike's French Dip

20170107_134914_zpssmcxt0hu.jpg

And I take a picture of my Diver Scallops. They were SO good!

20170107_134928_zpsfq3ae0dc.jpg

Back to the couple sitting near us. They were German. They were speaking German. She said some things that were not so nice about me taking pictures in German. How do I know this? First giveaway was her scrunched up face. Second was her tone of voice as she was speaking and looking my way. But the clincher was that Mike is German and is fluent in German.

I should have taken a picture of their faces when he said to me in German "People shouldn't assume that they are the only ones that speak a language and maybe they should stop speaking poorly of people". Priceless.

LOL, Mike should have just said in German "have a lovely day" as you or they were leaving with a huge smile. Would have been hysterical.

Ncklhaus, my DH and I were on the same cruise and it was our first with NCL. One of the reasons we decided to take the plunge (after reading a few negative reports) was your detailed 2016 review of Breakaway.

We loved the ship and had a great time, and we're following this thread and enjoying the pictures- especially since mine turned out so badly!

Thank you for continuing this review, considering what's been going on behind the scenes. I wish you all the best!

We had a fantastic time on this trip and I'm really enjoying your review. I'm sorry we didn't get together for a drink - maybe our paths will cross again someday on board. :)

I didn't realize Melissa got so sick - glad everything turned out alright!

The underwear thing is pretty hilarious - I'm waiting to see if you ever did find any. (I bet Mike will pack his own underwear next time around)

Your dad is in my thoughts. I can see you're a tough family after reading your story and you've already made it through so much together.

We had a fantastic time on this trip and I'm really enjoying your review. I'm sorry we didn't get together for a drink - maybe our paths will cross again someday on board. :)

I didn't realize Melissa got so sick - glad everything turned out alright!

The underwear thing is pretty hilarious - I'm waiting to see if you ever did find any. (I bet Mike will pack his own underwear next time around)

Your dad is in my thoughts. I can see you're a tough family after reading your story and you've already made it through so much together.

Thanks Caroline. It was a pleasure meeting you. Next time will be December 15th. :D

Ncklhaus, my DH and I were on the same cruise and it was our first with NCL. One of the reasons we decided to take the plunge (after reading a few negative reports) was your detailed 2016 review of Breakaway.

We loved the ship and had a great time, and we're following this thread and enjoying the pictures- especially since mine turned out so badly!

Thank you for continuing this review, considering what's been going on behind the scenes. I wish you all the best!

I'm so glad I could help and I'm really happy you enjoyed the cruise.

Some people so rude. It's none of their business if you want to take pictures of your meal. So wish you would have took picture of their faces.

Prayers for your dad and your family

That would have been funny.

Thanks so much.

After lunch, Melissa went for a swim in the Haven pool. We were still docked in Tortola and it was hot out. I was surprised that they didn't have the roof open. It turns out it was stuck and they had to do some work on it to get it working again.

20170107_140728_zpspftkepbw.jpg

20170107_140911_zpsylmvos0g.jpg

This was a little bit scary. The maintenance guys were actually standing on the glass.

20170107_141043_zps2utkxw55.jpg

20170107_141052_zpspj74nqsd.jpg

It was around this time I decided to do a few Facebook live videos. You can check them out if you like. I will try and get a link to them. I toured the Haven courtyard and sun deck, the interior of the Haven, the pool deck and more.

They did fix the Haven roof within another hour or so.

Tonight's dinner special in the Haven restaurant. We didn't try it because we went to Teppanyaki.

20170107_154124_zpskwbkntzt.jpg

Our chef put on a great show for us. It was a bit different from last year, but still loud. He even got Melissa in on the action spinning eggs. My friend took those pictures. I will try and get them and add them at the end of the review. Or you can see them on my FB page.

Fried Rice, Vegetables, and a little chick

20170107_190855_zpscvrlt9fr.jpg

Steak, cooked to perfection

20170107_191518_zpscd7rhjh3.jpg

Shrimp, also perfectly cooked

20170107_191943_zpsydjlt8lj.jpg

We were so stuffed that we decided to skip dessert. By now it was getting later and it was Pirate Plunder night in Splash Academy. They have a Pirate Parade throughout the ship and the kids need to be dropped of by 8:15 if they are going to participate.

So we ran out of Teppanyaki and up to deck 12 to check her in. I asked where would be the best place to be to watch the Pirate Parade and they said that unfortunately the parade was canceled. Why? What happened? They either didn't know or weren't going to tell me. I think it was because there were too many kids on board and the parade would have been too hard to handle. It was still Pirate Plunder night and they still had face painting.

Melissa showing off her pirate makeup. She's a very scary pirate. Not!

20170107_220241_zps24xh2ys9.jpg

20170107_220305_zpsiirclbvj.jpg

By now it is 10:30 and we are all exhausted. It's time for bed. We had an early morning excursion in St Maarten. We were going to Maho Beach!

JoAnn so sorry to hear about your father, he will be in our prayers. And thanks so much for pressing on with the review. Great stuff.

Loved the food pictures story. So nice to hear an 'ugly German' story instead of the usual 'ugly American' tourist... :)

Loving your review and pictures. I feel like I am right there enjoying your week! :D I appreciate all the work you have put into doing this. Thank you.

On a side note... You are an inspiration. I have read your story. As for your dad I will keep him and your family in my daily thoughts and prayers. I for one appreciate your honesty. The fact that you could share it. I am sure many people have been touched by your story. You have touched my life. Even though I do not know you I feel as though I do.

Thank you again for taking the time (which this takes a lot of time to do) to share your vacation. Putting this review with pictures together. Stay healthy. Write many more reviews! :D:D

I meant in spell prayers. You are an inspiration and a wonderful person please keep our community informed

56 Cruises and Counting! Bon Voyage to my fellow CC's and smooth sailing.

Planning a vacay is almost as much fun as the vacay itself!!!

Thanks everyone for your posts. I had replied to a few of you, but my post was deleted by the moderators because I mentioned the other website.

I will continue again tomorrow. I'm a little ticked off about it. This post will probably be deleted too.

I'm getting more pictures uploaded.

And to update you on my dad. He's still in the hospital and he's on lots of meds. They are making him very confused and agitated. But his pain is lessening. He was sleeping with his leg straight for the first time in months.