st. Thomas beaches

Brownie57

Coki has great snorkeling and it is very easy to find a taxi there and back. Chairs are $5 each, no cost to enter the beach. Taxi was $9 pp each way, about the same as every other beach I looked at as far as transportation cost. Have not been to Sapphire so I can't compare, but we loved our time at Coki

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have not been to Coki yet. When we went to Sapphire in November 2015 it cost $12pp each way. They were working at refurbishing the area. There was a dive shop there. If you snorkel there stay to the right side, as the left side was full of large jellyfish. While they didn't bother us, it was very intimidating swimming with them [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Coki has easy snorkeling to the right around the rocks. If it is a weekend or a lot of ships are in port, it will be crowded. It is a bit harder to get in and out of the water at Sapphire as there is a dropoff. The view at Sapphire is spectacular!

If you have a full day in port (6 hours or more) I would highly recommend you take the ferry over to St. John and snorkel there. Its an easy trip to DIY, not too costly, and much nicer than either Coki or Sapphire. Trunk Bay is notorious for their snorkel path but there are several other less congested beaches where the snorkeling is just as good.

Which is a nicer beach for snorkeling-Coki or Sapphire? Does it cost to get on either beach? Also, what is the price of chair rental on either beach?

Snorkeling is easier at Coki, better at Sapphire. At Coki the snorkeling is on either end of the beach, and there is not a lot of area, and truthfully it is not really that good. It might keep you occupied for 15 - 20 minutes. At Sapphire the area is much larger and there is almost no current, but the waves can be rough. You can spend hours in the wearer at Sapphire, especially if you are experienced and can snorkel in very shallow water.

Chairs and an umbrella at Coki are about $20. Sorry I don't know about Sapphire, when we were there we stayed 10 days and the chairs were included.

Edited by zqvol