Embark and then sight see?

Kittybork

Has anyone ever checked in, gone through customs, put the carryons away and then gone sightseeing?

Is it possible or worth the hassle?

We might catch a Mardi Gras parade after we check in on the Dream on 2/26, but I don't know if it's doable.

Thanks!

From someone who lives in an area that heavily celebrates mardi gras, you won't want to bother with it. The crowds and traffic are a nightmare to get through and you sure don't want to miss the ship because you couldn't get back in time. Especially the traffic in New Orleans where a lot of the streets are one way.

If you can get back from the cruise and catch one before you go home, I certainly recommend it. Nothing like mardi gras in New Orleans! Either way, have an awesome cruise!

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the advice.

I actually live in south Louisiana and have been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and home many times. I love it, but I was just considering something to do since we'll need to get to the port so early because of the traffic.

I've gotten off the ships before , but it had to be cleared with security. I don't feel it's routinely done as an option.

It doesn't have to be cleared with security, it's very common for people to get off the ship and sightsee at the port of embarkation.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1372/related/1

Guests wishing to sightsee after boarding the ship on embarkation day

After checking in and boarding the ship, if a guest wishes to disembark the ship to sightsee at the home port, they may do so as long as they return at least 30 minutes prior to ship departure. They will need to carry with them the following:

Travel documents including photo ID

Sail & Sign card

Check-In Boarding Pass

I'd like to get there before 9.

Hi Kittybork

I realized you are getting there very early, but what time were you figuring that you would be able to board? (We have never sailed from N.O.)

If you have to wait till 11:30 or so to board, is it even worth it? Would you be able to just have a small carry on and check everything else so you could check your bags and go explore at 09:00 without having to wait to board first.

It would be nice if there was somewhere to park your bags, maybe someone that knows N.O. could chime in.

have a great cruise

Has anyone ever checked in, gone through customs, put the carryons away and then gone sightseeing?

We might catch a Mardi Gras parade after we check in on the Dream on 2/26, but I don't know if it's doable.

Thanks!

Cabins are not accessible until 1:30 except for those that are Diamond, Platinum, or purchased FTTF so you would not be able to put your carry-ons away until then.

It doesn't have to be cleared with security, it's very common for people to get off the ship and sightsee at the port of embarkation.

After checking in and boarding the ship, if a guest wishes to disembark the ship to sightsee at the home port, they may do so as long as they return at least 30 minutes prior to ship departure. They will need to carry with them the following:

Sail & Sign card

Check-In Boarding Pass

Good information! Thanks so much!

Cabins are not accessible until 1:30 except for those that are Diamond, Platinum, or purchased FTTF so you would not be able to put your carry-ons away until then.

I'm Platinum, so if we can get on the ship, we could put our stuff away.

Hi Kittybork

I realized you are getting there very early, but what time were you figuring that you would be able to board? (We have never sailed from N.O.)

If you have to wait till 11:30 or so to board, is it even worth it? Would you be able to just have a small carry on and check everything else so you could check your bags and go explore at 09:00 without having to wait to board first.

It would be nice if there was somewhere to park your bags, maybe someone that knows N.O. could chime in.

have a great cruise

I've sailed out of NO many times. I could even leave the bags in the car because the garage is so close.

I don't know if it would be worth it or not. It was just an idea.

I've sailed out of NO many times. I could even leave the bags in the car because the garage is so close.

I don't know if it would be worth it or not. It was just an idea.

Hi Kittybork,

Well that makes a lot more sense to me. Check you big bags when you when you get to the pier and hide your small carry-ons in your trunk.

If you don't mind boarding later you could come back around 2.pm.,that would give you 5hr. to explore...sounds like a plan:). You would be missing most of the crowds and boarding right away, plus your bags might be waiting for you at your cabin. Don't forget your carry-ons in your trunk.

have a great cruise

Edited by Nic6318

Sail & Sign card

Check-In Boarding Pass

Thank you ;) . Good to know ,the only time I tried was at PC . They requested clearance and I waited a awhile before they swiped my S&S card.

Edited by BoDidly

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

Sure. Once you have your key card, you can get off freely, but you have to be back at the time they indicate, usually a half an hour before sailing.