Asia cruise - popular with families?

annbarker23

I've just realised that our upcoming cruise (China & Japan) spans the Easter holidays. I wondered whether this will mean lots of families on board. It's not a huge issue as we both like children but I am interested in knowing what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've just realised that our upcoming cruise (China & Japan) spans the Easter holidays. I wondered whether this will mean lots of families on board. It's not a huge issue as we both like children but I am interested in knowing what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did Millimnium's China and Japan in October/Nov 2015. It was one of our favorite cruises.

I don't remember seeing large numbers of children on the cruise. You might get more during Easter holidays, although more from Australia/NZ. The cruise we did was two weeks and we spend 8 days pre cruise in Japan. That is a long time for kids to be away from school.

Here is my review of our cruise and trip.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

Haven't done an Asia cruise over Easter but there were a number of families on board for our Asia Christmas/New year cruise a few years ago. Mostly families of Europeans/North Americans working in China/HK/Singapore/Japan or Australian/NZ families.

Not many, but I suppose more than a similar cruise a couple of weeks before/after. I suppose Easter would be similar. I certainly thought there were fewer children around than we've seen on celebrity during the European School Holidays - especially the peak from Mid. July to Mid. August.

Whichever way, I've always found that apart from the very youngest they seem to be well entertained elsewhere - hardly see them apart from around the pool on very hot days!

Plenty of teenagers around but my job (Secondary Teacher) means I can zone them out with ease... and aside from the occasional pool splash (although younger children do this too!) they've never done anything that grabbed my attention.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Tagging on here, are the Asia cruises on Celebrity "modified" to suit (in the cruise line's opinion) local tastes like what RCL does for its China departures? In terms of food etc, is there a difference in offering (more family sharing style Asian options etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tagging on here, are the Asia cruises on Celebrity "modified" to suit (in the cruise line's opinion) local tastes like what RCL does for its China departures? In terms of food etc, is there a difference in offering (more family sharing style Asian options etc)?

Below is my reply to a similar question on another thread:

'Before we booked our last Millie cruise, probably nearly 3 years ago now, we discussed our Asian cruise options with a Royal Future Cruise Rep. She was very informative and suggested we stick with X for the type of experience we wanted i.e. the more traditional X food and sailing as opposed to Royal's more immersive cruises. She stated that there was a definite difference and, depending on which we preferred, we should book accordingly .

We were also on the same sailing as Teamflames and were surprised at the amount of South Americans onboard, expecting the majority of pax to be Australian and perhaps a few more from Asia. In fact, it was a great mix of international cruisers :).'

We cruised this past Christmas and New Year and there were many families onboard (including ours), as expected ;).

Below is my reply to a similar question on another thread:

'Before we booked our last Millie cruise, probably nearly 3 years ago now, we discussed our Asian cruise options with a Royal Future Cruise Rep. She was very informative and suggested we stick with X for the type of experience we wanted i.e. the more traditional X food and sailing as opposed to Royal's more immersive cruises. She stated that there was a definite difference and, depending on which we preferred, we should book accordingly .

We were also on the same sailing as Teamflames and were surprised at the amount of South Americans onboard, expecting the majority of pax to be Australian and perhaps a few more from Asia. In fact, it was a great mix of international cruisers :).'

We cruised this past Christmas and New Year and there were many families onboard (including ours), as expected ;).

Thank you! That's good news for us but not so good news for the in laws as they would prefer something more immersive. Oh well, can't please everyone!

We didn't notice any significant difference in the cuisine or entertainment.