Coffee Question

woopuppy

I have searched the forum and can only find reference to bringing your own coffee grounds on board before the instituted the no beverages brought on board. Does anyone know if they allow the ground to be brought on board in your checked luggage and what about the coffee creamer singles? We are just not a fan of their coffee on board. Thanks.

I don't know if it's allowed (never heard it wasn't), but I and others on my cruises (as recent as Oct and Nov) have brought coffee. Others have brought creamers which I don't use. Be sure to know what type of coffee maker your ship has (unless you carry an Aero press or similar).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

I have searched the forum and can only find reference to bringing your own coffee grounds on board before the instituted the no beverages brought on board. Does anyone know if they allow the ground to be brought on board in your checked luggage and what about the coffee creamer singles? We are just not a fan of their coffee on board. Thanks.

You can bring your own grounds, no problem. But you have been on the Getaway and know that they do not have a drip coffee maker. All single serve pods. You will need to bring your own drip device if you want your own coffee.

50c7f6297d3afcc1beb75fb5d10a5174.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

You can bring your own grounds, no problem. But you have been on the Getaway and know that they do not have a drip coffee maker. All single serve pods. You will need to bring your own drip device if you want your own coffee.

50c7f6297d3afcc1beb75fb5d10a5174.jpg

What kind of pods does it use? Do they supply said pods or must I bring my own? How about creamers? I will be on The Jewel in 2 weeks, I guess same coffee makers?

What kind of pods does it use? Do they supply said pods or must I bring my own? How about creamers? I will be on The Jewel in 2 weeks, I guess same coffee makers?

I google the coffee maker and it said that the senseo pods will work in the hamilton beach single serve coffeemakers. You can find them on walmart.com. I got 2 packages for under $10 shipped to my local store. They do supply pods we are just not a fan of whatever brand of coffee they use. You do not have to bring your own.

Edited by woopuppy

We always take powdered french vanilla coffee mate, can't speak to liquid tho, surely you could get by with the single serves.....

A tip on the buffett coffee: Look at the coffee machines/dispensers, on several ships we have found some have bins on top with beans in them and those machines "fresh grind" the coffee, they are much better than the "non bean" machines

I take it these machines are not compatible with standard K-cups used in Keurig machines. I'm not familiar with Senseo. Is it any good? Worst case scenario, we might pack some Starbucks Vias instant coffee, which are fairly good for instant coffee.

no, no k-cups, these are round filter packs with coffee in them, just filter material both sides, 2-3 inches round

It's a flat pod (paper filter) and adequate for a 5 to 6 oz. cup, medium in strength at best - for a stronger brew in a bigger cup and use 2 pods.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FAHPQX8?psc=1

The round filter looks like these, look closely at the picture - the K-cup and/or reusable cup will never fit in that slim slot. The brand used/provided free by NCL was (is) "CLS Roaster"

No. The Jewel uses a drip coffee maker. Your steward will provide you with a filter bag with grounds that you can use in the coffee maker.

Jewel Coffee 8/16

c1f82bf0aad9a6001e79d70e6d4e3192.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

Your question is missing some key information: Which ship, and suites or regular cabins? It makes a difference - not all the ships have the same coffee makers in the regular cabins (as you can see from the responses above) and even the suites on different ships vary between Lavazza and Nespresso coffee makers.

Your question is missing some key information: Which ship, and suites or regular cabins? It makes a difference - not all the ships have the same coffee makers in the regular cabins (as you can see from the responses above) and even the suites on different ships vary between Lavazza and Nespresso coffee makers.

The OP's signature indicated that they were sailing on the Getaway in 41 days, therefore the specifics on the coffee makers used on the Getaway.

Edited by BirdTravels

I, too, hate their coffee so always bring my own since I must drink decaf.

On the Gem, it was a small pot that I requested from Housekeeping since

it is not placed in the inside/outside cabins.

But on the Breakaway it was a single serve pot so I had to purchase

a box of filters for a 1-cup pot...and the pot was not good as it

leaked the grounds into the cup.

We always take powdered french vanilla coffee mate, can't speak to liquid tho, surely you could get by with the single serves.....

A tip on the buffett coffee: Look at the coffee machines/dispensers, on several ships we have found some have bins on top with beans in them and those machines "fresh grind" the coffee, they are much better than the "non bean" machines

Thank you.:)

I, too, hate their coffee so always bring my own since I must drink decaf.

On the Gem, it was a small pot that I requested from Housekeeping since

it is not placed in the inside/outside cabins.

But on the Breakaway it was a single serve pot so I had to purchase

a box of filters for a 1-cup pot...and the pot was not good as it

leaked the grounds into the cup.

You were able to request a coffee maker for your stateroom? Was there any extra charge?

I was just on Pearl and was looking for the "good" coffee maker I have seen people mention in the Great Outdoors cafe, but alas, it seemed to be just like the regular coffee machines in the buffet.

I did get coffee one night at Cagney's and it was DIVINE. The best cup of regular coffee on the ship, the waiter who brought it to me said it was from their machine that does freshly grind the beans. The UDP was worth those 2 cups I had! :D