anthem jan 2 reveiw

grod19

Curious -

If we have a reservation, but walk up and happen to get on the Northstar earlier on our cruise - do we then forfeit our reservation?

No- you got lucky and another ride! But don't forget your reservation or they can charge you $25 for no show. I liked checking my calendar daily on your room tv. You can also manage your charges on your tv.

Wow, so many changes. When we were on the Quantum in 2015 the Northstar not only went side to side, but didn't require a reservation. You could stand in line as much as you wanted. I think we went three or four times, once while we were sailing and I think once in every port. I don't recall ever hearing about it being closed for cleaning or anyone getting sick. It seemed to alwasys be going.

Thank you for your great review. We just booked the 12 night cruise on Anthem for next January, 2018. We have sailed her before and have an October sailing in the works as well, so my question is more on the ports. What insights can you give on the itinerary? We've seen our share of forts so looking mostly for some great beach ideas. Thanks!

On this cruise, the formal nights were #3 and #11, but it was a mistake.

Next cruise they were the expected #2 & #11. :)

No coffee pots or magnifying mirrors in balcony cabins.

About the passenger demographics/behavior.

Yes, I have encountered rude passengers on every cruise. I encounter rude people in every day life, in the brief times between cruises. ;) :D

But on this particular cruise (Anthem, January 2-14) there was a very large group who in general had very poor manners.

I just internally shake my hand and congratulate myself that I am not like them. :)

FWIW, the list of challenges or quests in The Quest are the purview of the individual running it, not the ship itself. Some CDs (or on the next cruise, AM) enjoy changing things up. Some rely on the old standards. You are lucky if you find one who likes a good challenge.

It was interesting - we had both a change of Cruise Director and a change of Captain from the January 2 cruise to the January 14 cruise.

Some of you may have already noticed or heard this, but there are "watchers" now at the pools. They aren't lifeguards, per se, but they stand there and keep an eye on the activity at the pool. And of course now there are swim vests in many children's sizes.

The indoor pool has a lift for both the pool and the hot tub.

One night (no, I don't remember which one), they were making fresh doughnuts in the Windjammer. As the cook scooped one out of the pot, he would dip it in your choice of white chocolate, regular chocolate or cinnamon & sugar. OMG. Decadently delicious.

Thank you for your great review. We just booked the 12 night cruise on Anthem for next January, 2018. We have sailed her before and have an October sailing in the works as well, so my question is more on the ports. What insights can you give on the itinerary? We've seen our share of forts so looking mostly for some great beach ideas. Thanks!

I suggest that you spend some time on the Ports of Call forum:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Thank you Marion Mom, I took your advice and it looks like the answer to my planning questions. Will enjoy looking over each thread. The planning can be so much fun. 😎

Couple that research with some time on tripadvisor. I guarantee good results! :)

One night (no, I don't remember which one), they were making fresh doughnuts in the Windjammer. As the cook scooped one out of the pot, he would dip it in your choice of white chocolate, regular chocolate or cinnamon & sugar. OMG. Decadently delicious.

Sounds like we will have to hit the buffet after dinner, in search of hot doughnuts!:D

Also, thanks for the info on the wow band, from another thread. :cool:

St Maaten: took one of the shuttles just off the ship to Maho Beach to see the planes come in. Best time to arrive there is 11AM-1PM so check your itinerary. The beach was very crowded, and the traffic was terrible.

Antigua: Booked the beach day through RC. Beach was very nice, food was good, plenty of lounge chairs available. There is a limit on shade so arrive early and pick a spot either in the back under trees for shade or beach front in the sun.

St. Kitts: My favorite. We booked the catamaran excursion to Nevis through RC. It was a beautiful day- sailed under full sail, no motor required, smoothe ride, drinks flowed very freely. The BBQ lunch provided on the beach was very good- I loved the coconut slaw! Too soon we were sailing back- in time for shopping.

Martinique: our itinerary was changed from St Lucia to Martineque and we loved exploring the town and the fort. However, RC gave us no literature or maps for the town and that was very poor! there is a great tourist center right off the ship with a very friendly staff. They directed us to a fort which we really enjoyed- it is locked to locals, can only be accessed through tours because it is an active naval base. Ask the tourist center for maps and information. It is a beautiful town!

Sorry for the long delay in replying. I have been traveling for work so no time to update here.

I want to clarify my reasoning for pointing out the rude cruisers. All of them seemed miserable in all aspects of life. Go into your cruise with a positive attitude and let the little things roll off your shoulders and you will have an amazing time. Overall the general population onboard was very friendly.

My grandfather once told me that all companies have problems, how they handle the problems is what separates the great companies from the others. We did have very minor issues here and there but RCCL fixed them in no time. Our group wasn't all together at dinner and it was corrected in 10 minutes. An excursion was cancelled but they got us onto another one quickly. Things of that nature.

I loved the Anthem because it allowed people to have many different types of vacations. Some people saw shows and went to all the entertainment, others sat in the sun and relaxed, etc. It seemed like each person we talked to experienced a completely different trip. There was also multiple things to do each and every day.

I loved the Anthem because it allowed people to have many different types of vacations. Some people saw shows and went to all the entertainment, others sat in the sun and relaxed, etc. It seemed like each person we talked to experienced a completely different trip. There was also multiple things to do each and every day.

Excellent summary!

Clarification please...does the ship a version of assigned table, assigned time dining available? We are not fans of anytime/free style dining and like to be seated with the same wait staff and dining guests at the same time every night. This is a make or break deal for us to book on Anthem. We did NCL last year and never were seated with anyone else the entire voyage.

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

Clarification please...does the ship a version of assigned table, assigned time dining available? We are not fans of anytime/free style dining and like to be seated with the same wait staff and dining guests at the same time every night. This is a make or break deal for us to book on Anthem. We did NCL last year and never were seated with anyone else the entire voyage.

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

Yes you can do Classic dining. I believe the times were 6 or 815. I know the late was at 815 but I don't know what the earlier time was. We were a group of 6 so we had our own table for our group.

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

The Anthem has the same standard dining choices as the other RC ships.

My Time Dining

Standard Fixed Traditional Dining - early seating is 5:30 and second seating is 8:15.

I knew people who were with large groups and they were told to come at 5:15.

Sorry for the long delay in replying. I have been traveling for work so no time to update here.

I want to clarify my reasoning for pointing out the rude cruisers. All of them seemed miserable in all aspects of life. Go into your cruise with a positive attitude and let the little things roll off your shoulders and you will have an amazing time. Overall the general population onboard was very friendly.

My grandfather once told me that all companies have problems, how they handle the problems is what separates the great companies from the others. We did have very minor issues here and there but RCCL fixed them in no time. Our group wasn't all together at dinner and it was corrected in 10 minutes. An excursion was cancelled but they got us onto another one quickly. Things of that nature.

You were lucky, as a DP members our before Christmas cruise was not the Wow cruise we had hoped for. It was my 2bd cruise on Anthem and DH 1sr, since the Explorer left. We have been cruising out of FLL, NO, SJ in the mean time. The problems and issues we had on Anthem, should not have been problems to start with. And getting them resolved was even more trying, have to spend hours of your vacation in Guest Services lines is just unacceptable. To wait half hour to get a WOW band, really, and to have a Loyalty Ambassador. put charges $70 on your bill the last night of cruise after checking it before going to bed showing a -0- balance for a free galley tour, then going to guest relations on day of departure to get it fixed, and only 1 person working, it just not acceptable. No sense of urgency of staff when brought to their attention, of unsafe conditions, such as spilled drinks on tile outside elevators and throw up outside dining room, left us a little upset. We are not downers, and really enjoyed getting away and found many good things about this cruise, but would not cruise Anthem again. As for bartenders, we found a few good ones, one in upstairs of Music Hall, and the other in Boleros. We felt bad for the bartender in the Concierge Lounge on deck 12, because he could not make a rum punch. We still tipped him well, he really tried, but I think a lot of the staff was not trained fully. Some really tried. So a special hint check your final bill before leaving and getting a copy of it for proof should charges show up after you get home and get your cc bill. Maybe they had a meeting with GS staff after we complained to corporate about our problems we had with them. Any cruise day is better than a day at work. Enjoy.