Non Cruise Question for World Travellers

commodore2010

This year we are not doing a cruise but rather spending some time in Spain which includes 3 days of "Running of the Bulls" in Pamplona. Yes it is a bucket list.

Anyway, we will be in San Sebastian for a few days and we are wondering about day trips. We have read about Biarritz and Bilbao and was wondering if any of you World Travellers have spent any time in this area an might have suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by commodore2010

Yes, Bilbao is very nice. Love San Sebastian...wonderful hidden gem of a place. We stayed at the Maria Christina, which I recommend. Excellent location. Guggenheim in Bilbao worth the trip over. Food great in both places. Have a great time!

Not been to San Sabastian.

However I like Bilboa. It is a cute town, but the highlight is the Guggenheim Museum at that alone make the visit there a must. Plan to spend at least 4 hours at the Guggenheim Museum and several more in the surrounding neighborhood.

J

daaBpf2RsHHLRNOwHd1rmM5d0klsc56ZCH-wsBhNAA29uA1gWAlJM1pp5xZqdlzedVP1uXTH3lm3B2YpZ0MawLMLL4_HMu4GP2xPAxkx2olG1Z4BBWw3U56dvh8e2JkS-QKWX9oIdJvcfZ76gX3IrERlFurrg7xF14D8_41anxqlkqjmxopOnPZHHk45LzjM01dRFHP1h1HvdIMuBupkA8LmZh0K2EjGLHWznOVvITgunxETWvrCTXMVdTYw-T6W7-B6se2KwZbBGkCD5Q5c9VEjavMV3eFxZzSFoML5fnkUJCCBLZu0hmnZkQsCelJ18QWANawg3wBjQ5oIWhAsvzU_q_FRSTH6XxWWSyhjdexRDmnwk9c5UVR9j2WG7LgtwseYBJGriYZYopA6UBMklKJyoP7SMhEN8elbfgYP336cKkvfc875S-MfE9urPdo7_2Egz6tvtP3m4TTyUFmYKt_GF8Z88OfL8vh5vn87cKBYhKQ1WAtGIVAxpivIfVOVwctFkta1JlB9RJDucGBF3rdTYeXstfDq_qt6zgryuK6ew67pvoVW9gE2PNoGz29KUnJ5GtGa8DF0ltzyqYCD24p_HGAREHUyZr-YCdDpYzdpTsD0zMxL=w1211-h908-no

Bilbao is great and I'd recommend heading for the tourist office for some tips about what to see and where, but yes, don't miss the Guggenheim.

I'd also recommend majoring on lunch in Spain, to avoid the very (extraordinarily!) late evening dining. By enjoying your main meal at lunchtime, you can then focus on a few pinchos (tapas on sticks) in the evening, with a relaxing glass of rioja. Hopefully, you'll then avoid the bedtime indigestion too ;-)

Guernica is a great day out, with the Basque parliament to visit and the history related to the Picasso painting, and the whole coastline along that part of the country is spectacular.

Enjoy!!

Sorry, forgot to recommend Bodegon Alejandro as a great place to dine in San Sebastian, Colmado Iberico for lunch in Bilbao!

Edited by Gilly

San Sebastián is considered the gourmet capital of Europe, so has some world renowned restaurants. The old part of the town is crammed with bars. It is also one of Spain's most expensive cities.

A day trip to Hondarrabia is worth a visit. It is on the border between France and Spain. There s a nice old town with colourful fishermans cottages. Also has a 10th century Parador, one of the state run hotels.

In Bilbao as well as the Guggenheim is an interesting Fine Arts Museum. A lovely old town wit home excellent Art Deco architecture.

One of my favourite parts of Spain.