Viking Explorer Society - 2nd trip

zitsky

It's not a big deal but apparently there is a cocktail reception, perhaps on the first day? Do they have a list of who has traveled before so they can check people off as they come in to the lounge?

I saw the thread about Explorer discounts. I'm happy with what I got, a $300 shipboard credit and a decent price from my TA, better than the Viking price.

There is a cocktail party. It's not on the first day, as that's usually pretty hectic. I don't remember any security or bouncers. :)

You used to get a pin, but they seem to have stopped that. I was hoping to get enough to cover my shoulder bag. I put one on my white fisherman's cap. It sometimes gets me mistaken for a navy veteran or a grizzled old sailor. I am a bit on the grizzled side.

On our last Viking cruise, we received an invitation a few days into the cruise inviting us to the party. It's funny years ago it was held in the library (very small group and the captain greeted us)and we wore our little pin, but now it's actually held in the lounge as there are so many Explorer members, and it was maybe a half hour before many people starting coming up to the lounge for per dinner drinks. No one took names and we were served drinks but probably if you were not an Explorer member the crew wouldn't know anyway as it's held in a public area now. We did get a nice shot glass too!

They don't offer special discounts anymore as they have so many ships now. They offer everyone a 2 for 1 deal, if you buy $200 in vouchers you get $400 so if both of us got vouchers we purchased $800 for the price of $400. It is usually on the last night of the cruise the director will talk about it. We have use our vouchers purchased on the river cruise for an upcoming ocean cruise.

Edited by chlives60

You did get an invitation before the cocktail gathering and it's not on the first, or probably even second day. We did get a shot glass and as far as getting gifts such as blankets, adaptor, etc. We didn't get that offer until after our 3rd trip with Viking. The blanket is nice as is the adaptor. I know one of the best perks is that after the 3rd trip with Viking, you get Concierge Air which allows you to tell Viking that you do not like the air arrangements and want them to change to something more agreeable to you. No one takes names, you just go into the lounge area and take a drink or an offered canape. Someone does come over, usually and asks your name and where you have cruised with them before, but other than that, anyone could probably crash this party.

We did Viking, last year, from Berlin to Warsaw and we were told what our flights would be and we were not happy with a 5 hr. layover at Heathrow and called Viking and told them that we were entitled to concierge air and wanted a better flight and they did change it to something much more reasonable. Well if that perk has changed since then, I may reconsider booking further trips with Viking.

If you take the Viking Air Plus service ($50 pp) you select your flights right after booking thru another Viking desk (assuming your booking a cruise when flight info is available).

That way you might avoid long layovers.

When I booked by 4th Viking cruise earlier this month, I was told it "gone".

Your room steward will put an invitation to the cocktail party in your room on the day of the party. I had enough papers on the desk that I didn't see the invitation until after dinner, so I missed it. My invitation came with a shot glass. It was my second cruise with Viking, so I did get an email beforehand and got to choose a travel-related gift.

You will get an invitation to the Captain's Cocktail reception 2-3 days into your trip depending on the itinerary. It will be on the bed with your Daily Information sheet. You are invited every time your cruise after your first trip. There's an open bar, nice appetizers and a toast with Aquavit with the Captain. It's fun to meet other cruisers who've taken many Viking trips and you get to chat with the Captain (providing he's able to converse in English!) the Hotel Manager and the Cruise Director. It's a lot of fun.

When you get back to you room, you'll have two Viking shot glasses waiting for you. We have a large collection of them now, and give them away! :-)

My only suggestion to Viking (and I've shared it on their survey form) is they should have the name of the ship engraved on the glass.