The Tale of Mervin and Dave

Emdee

What do the very young deck steward Mervin and the junior assistant waiter Dave have in common?

Both exemplify what Hotel Director Jacques tries to instill in his staff : an exceptional attention to detail and a willingness and desire to go above and beyond in an effort to provide us passengers with an amazing experience. They go beyond the merely pleasant exuding warmth and friendliness. Knowing I have a particular fondness for fresh lime juice with salt, Marvin thoughtfully provided my favourite drink. Yesterday morning I watched Dave scoot across the floor in La Veranda in order to assist a passenger who was attempting to both carry her own plate and open the door. I swear my arms are going to shrivel with disuse if I allow them to carry my plate so much.

I mention these two young men because they have crossed my path and I have been watching them these two weeks but I know that there are many, many other wonderful staff on the PG who go out of their way to make this experience the trip of a lifetime. That is why even though it rained all of last week people still left the ship with a smile. Well that and the 1000 bottles of wine that they consumed!

This has been our 10 th trip on the PG and 12 th on Paul Gauguin cruises and people both in the real world and on the ship constantly ask me why we do this trip time after time. Yes, the lagoons are a beautiful blue when the sun shines, yes the peaks are stunning and the snorkelling is superb, yes the food is quite wonderful but the warmth and friendliness that the staff give us and every other passenger far surpasses all the other elements even together. The Paul Gauguin staff are what makes this line special...this is their winning formula.

Just my Opinion, of course.

Yes ... it's the staff that overshadows all the other wannabes. As we've been heading to FP for over 20 years we've seen many other cruise lines try and set an anchor in these waters. Many had newer, larger and some may say more luxurious ships ... but they left within a few years. Why has the Paul Gauguin outlasted all the others? It's the incredible service provided in a personal casual way. The crew isn't stuffy after all this is casual French Polynesia, they just provide you with an experience that is memorable and hard to find anywhere else. Love the PG ...

We will board in June, 2017, the PG for our 8th or 9th cruise on this wonderful ship and Emdee's sentiments are totally correct.We continue to choose and cruise with the PG because of the CREW!

Thank you, Emdee for your sentiments, well stated!

Edited by Cruisedreamer1
more detail