celebrity cruise

american gal

We are going on a wonderful 12 day Baltic cruise. Our first excursion is Berlin, Germany. Our excursion is 12 hours the first day, second day maybe 4 +-. they state that we will only have one meal! gosh, by 9 PM when we return to the ship we all will be starved. Is this type of thing normal? ~~ Any others ever taken this cruise?

I would be willing to bet that within the 12 hour span, there will be some time to get something to eat somewhere....probably not a full "sit down" meal, but I can't imagine them giving you a sandwich and calling it a day!

Of course, you will eat a hearty breakfast on the ship before you leave!!

We will be sure to eat well for breakfast. From what I was just reading on here about others trips, (took me a while to find it, lol) Lunch was served on the bus and wasn't half bad. 3 hrs to and from on a bus but bet it's well worth it. ** hope there is a bathroom on the bus**:eek:

Having a long tour is not unusual in Europe. Take along a couple of individually wrapped high protein snack bars to eat on the bus and bring a bottle of water (or buy some along the way), but most likely your tour will stop somewhere where you can go to a restaurant and get some food which may or may not be included in the price of your tour. Bring money for this. For example, if you are going to tour Berlin - the tour that sees most of the major sites there, most likely they will take you to the Kurfurstendamm which is their shopping mecca - with tons of restaurants and you will be given time where you can shop and eat, so you can pick a restaurant and go in and have some traditional German food and beer at your own expense. I have known people on European cruises who choose not to spend any money for food on land.

An important consideration on European cruises for port days, pay attention to what time the restaurants/buffet on the ship opens for breakfast compared to what time you have to be off the ship for your tour. Look on your daily guide the night before to find this out. If you have an early excursion, it often makes the most sense to order room service for breakfast. For breakfast make sure you have a good amount of protein such as yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, smoked salmon, sausage, bacon, ham, steak etc. so that you have enough slow burning energy to get through many hours of touring. The biggest mistake you can make is to eat a high carb breakfast as by around 10am you will be running on fumes.

As far as touring Berlin, usually there is some free time given for shopping. There are tons of restaurants in that city so you should have no trouble grabbing something to eat at some point and still have some time to do a little shopping.

• 2 weeks later...