Tour help in Juneau

Nicki828

We will be on the Island Princess in July. I'm a little stumped on my tour choices in Juneau. We would like to go whale watching, but would also like to see Mendenhall Glacier. I was originally looking at Harv & Marvs, but they just seem to do a quick stop at Mendenall Glacier if time permits. My other option I was looking at was the Princess excursion - Alaska's Whales & Mendenhall Glacier Trails. I just can't find any reviews on this tour. Or is there another good alternative that features both alternatives?

If you need more time, ask Harv to drop you at mendenhall, then call for a taxi to take you to the pier (about $35). Or do mendenhall independently......travel to/from by taxi, Blue shuttle or White shuttle at $30 pp r/t., or if you have a long day in port, rent a car.

Thoughts...

• You are smart to look for a combo tour to maximize your Juneau time.
  • Ideally look for the ones that does the whale watch first. After Mendenhall, make the decision to abandon the tour (return via Shuttle) vs returning early.
  • Mendenhall time depends on the weather.... on the a sunny day... you want to do the Nugget trail and explore the area. On a cold rainy day... you will likely want to be leaving as quickly as possible.

Here's an overview vid of another cruise line where experiences will be similar.

[YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

If you need more time, ask Harv to drop you at mendenhall, then call for a taxi to take you to the pier (about $35). Or do mendenhall independently......travel to/from by taxi, Blue shuttle or White shuttle at $30 pp r/t., or if you have a long day in port, rent a car.

Getting dropped off at Mendenhall used to be an option (we did it in 2014) but no longer. Here is information I copied from the FAQ section on the Harv & Marv website:

If we would like to go to the Mendenhall Glacier, how do we get there?

A. Unfortunately, due to changes in permitting and regulations by the US Forest Service, we can no longer pick up or drop off at the Mendenhall Glacier. You can schedule a taxi ahead of time or call when you arrive, the two main companies that service the glacier are Evergreen Taxi - 907-586-2121 /
and Juneau Taxi & Tours - 907-789-1111 /

Getting dropped off at Mendenhall used to be an option (we did it in 2014) but no longer. Here is information I copied from the FAQ section on the Harv & Marv website:

If we would like to go to the Mendenhall Glacier, how do we get there?

A. Unfortunately, due to changes in permitting and regulations by the US Forest Service, we can no longer pick up or drop off at the Mendenhall Glacier. You can schedule a taxi ahead of time or call when you arrive, the two main companies that service the glacier are Evergreen Taxi - 907-586-2121 /
and Juneau Taxi & Tours - 907-789-1111 /

If H&M won't drop off at Mendenhall, rather than backtracking all the way to the cruise terminal, have a taxi pick up at Harv and Marv's dock. This would be a cheaper and quicker fare since Auke Bay is much closer to Mendenhall.

You do need to call or arrange ahead a cab out of Auke Bay. There aren't cabs waiting. So, I'd suggest calling when you are heading back at the end of whale watching. You save over an hour in transit by going direct - Mendenhall/Whale watching.

Simple as well and most efficient to have a car rental, then just go direct, staying as long as you wish. Some marinas do have parking fees, so be aware of paying those before getting on whale watches.