Need advice! Diamonds International misleading!

Vacat!on

Guarantee

Cruise ship passengers shop with confidence at each of Onboard Media's recommended stores. All merchants on the Onboard Media Recommended and Guaranteed Port Shopping Program have been carefully selected and have paid a promotional fee to Onboard Media for inclusion in this program. Each merchant offers a 30-day guarantee to passengers, excluding buyer's negligence or buyer's remorse. The guarantee ensures buyers that all participating merchants will repair or replace any unsatisfactory item.

So OP wait til the appaisal comes back, then as someone said, if you really overpaid let RCI know.

As MGoBlue2 notes - buyer's remorse is not grounds for a return/refund. Believing that you overpaid is exactly what buyer's remorse is.

I personally don't think that what the appraisal comes back as will have any bearing on the situation whatsoever - unless the merchant guaranteed it would appraise for no less than a certain amount or the merchant blatantly misrepresented the diamond/gem as far as color/clarity/etc..

Howard

I am sorry, but I really can't stand people who do this. I am in the retail business and these people make their living off of how much profit they make off of customers.

If you are happy with the price you paid when you paid for it, move on... There are ALWAYS people who will say you paid too much. There is a simple solution .. buy what you can afford and buy something you like. If both stipulations apply, move on with life.

IF I see something I like, I buy it if the price is right, and I could not care less what other people think... unless they are planning on buying from me for what they "think" it is worth.

Have a great day

I have the flip side to the OP's story -

My DH bought me a 2 carat anniversary diamond ring ( 3 stones) at Diamonds International on St.Thomas last February and when we got it home and took it in to be appraised, the appraisal came back at almost DOUBLE what we paid for it!

I would hate to think that Diamonds International is a "hit or miss" store - after all, the cruise line promotes them like crazy.

As a rule, isn't appraisal value normally comes in at 2x the purchase/retail price? I would not use appraisal value to judge whether you got a good buy or not.

It was my understanding that if you use a ship recommended store and the appraisal is less than you paid then the cruise line will help you get it returned and refundd. Diamonds International is based inNY- call them _ I am sure you can return it for a refund if you aren't happy. We ahev always had appraisals come in at least twicw whgat we paid when shopping in the Caribbean. But I agree with a previou spost-if you like it and it was what you were willing to pay=be happy!!

We just returned from a western Caribbean cruise. We also looked at Diamonds International, the diamonds did seem priced higher than here in the US. We also looked at watches that seemed to priced about the same as the US but with no duty. In several DI stores we were told that the items come with a money back guarantee. The diamond you purchased should have come with an appraisal telling you about the size, quality, color, cut. The new appraisal of the diamond should match. We were told that if you over paid or were not satisfied with your purchase for any reason they would refund the money no questions asked.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

As a rule, isn't appraisal value normally comes in at 2x the purchase/retail price? I would not use appraisal value to judge whether you got a good buy or not.

That's absolutely correct - if you paid, say, $1,500 for a piece, it should appraise for about $3,000. What could you expect to get if you want to sell it to a jeweler? Probably about $900!

gerif

You are correct the appraisal should represent what a retail store would sell a stone at NOT at what the store would be willing to pay you for it. MAJOR difference. Thats why im interested in what the appraisal came in at!!

Rich in N VA

Archived