Good place for Getaway meet and greet?

aktravelguru

We have a roll call group for our Getaway cruise in March. I have a couple of questions about meet and greets.

First - what are the benefits of trying arrange a meet and greet through NCL?

Most of the folks on the roll call say they would prefer an informal meet and greet. I've never been on NCL so if we did an informal meet & greet where would be a good place to try to do that on the first sea day?

Thanks.

We have a roll call group for our Getaway cruise in March. I have a couple of questions about meet and greets.

First - what are the benefits of trying arrange a meet and greet through NCL?

Most of the folks on the roll call say they would prefer an informal meet and greet. I've never been on NCL so if we did an informal meet & greet where would be a good place to try to do that on the first sea day?

Thanks.

If set up through NCL you are dictated a time and place. Officers will be present and NCL will provide refreshments.

I've hosted 2 M&G on that ship. NCL gives you a room and a time. They also provide things like Danish, juice and coffee. They're usually in the morning of the first sea day, around 10 or 11 o'clock. On the ship, they've in Cagney's. What's different about NCL is that they care about Cruise Critic. So, not only do they provide the things above, it's also well attended by the staff. The CD will usually attend and speak, as will the HD, with multiple other officers attending. They provide you with a card that shows all the numbers for officer, in case you have any problems during the cruise, you can call them directly. It's a nice touch.

BTW the NCL staff only stays for the first few minutes. So in ten minutes or so they're gone.They introduce all the staff attending and the HD, gives a very brief welcome. They do have you sign a sign up sheet when you arrive with your cabin number, and give you a name tag. That usually translates into all the attendees getting chocolate covered strawberries from the HD, later in the cruise.

After that, it's up to you. Are you doing a slot pull, cabin crawl, gift exchange? All the usual stuff. If not, you'll just mingle. If anyone in your group is planning an excursion, or something you can use that time finalize everything too.

For an informal ones, those are usually just meeting at a bar. Everyone who attends wears beads, so they can find each other.

I've hosted 2 M&G on that ship. NCL gives you a room and a time. They also provide things like Danish, juice and coffee. They're usually in the morning of the first sea day, around 10 or 11 o'clock. On the ship, they've in Cagney's. What's different about NCL is that they care about Cruise Critic. So, not only do they provide the things above, it's also well attended by the staff. The CD will usually attend and speak, as will the HD, with multiple other officers attending. They provide you with a card that shows all the numbers for officer, in case you have any problems during the cruise, you can call them directly. It's a nice touch.

BTW the NCL staff only stays for the first few minutes. So in ten minutes or so they're gone.They introduce all the staff attending and the HD, gives a very brief welcome. They do have you sign a sign up sheet when you arrive with your cabin number, and give you a name tag. That usually translates into all the attendees getting chocolate covered strawberries from the HD, later in the cruise.

After that, it's up to you. Are you doing a slot pull, cabin crawl, gift exchange? All the usual stuff. If not, you'll just mingle. If anyone in your group is planning an excursion, or something you can use that time finalize everything too.

For an informal ones, those are usually just meeting at a bar. Everyone who attends wears beads, so they can find each other.

Wow, this is really helpful to know.

Thank you

I like the beads idea....also very curious to know more about the different themes/activities like slot pull, cabin crawl. Hmm adults might like a bar crawl?

So far the group on roll call doesn't seem to want to commit to a formal Meet& Greet because as I understand it to set that you you have to communicate with NCL and let them know approx. how many people. I don't know even if I volunteered to try to set this up that I would be able to give a head count as the feedback from the roll call group was less than enthusiastic. Most seemed to prefer a "hey let's set a time to meet and if we make it great and if not oh well" approach. Working off that I thought maybe something first sea day about 3:30 or 4 (post main sunning activity time and pre dinner etc time might work but where? Waterfront bar? poolside? atrium?

I like the beads idea....also very curious to know more about the different themes/activities like slot pull, cabin crawl. Hmm adults might like a bar crawl?

So far the group on roll call doesn't seem to want to commit to a formal Meet& Greet because as I understand it to set that you you have to communicate with NCL and let them know approx. how many people. I don't know even if I volunteered to try to set this up that I would be able to give a head count as the feedback from the roll call group was less than enthusiastic. Most seemed to prefer a "hey let's set a time to meet and if we make it great and if not oh well" approach. Working off that I thought maybe something first sea day about 3:30 or 4 (post main sunning activity time and pre dinner etc time might work but where? Waterfront bar? poolside? atrium?

Have been on a few cruises where there is a Sail Away Meet right after the muster drill held at an outside bar. You have a chance to mingle and see the sail away. You can go for a few minutes to meet others or stay longer for drinks. Had them with people wearing beads or wearing or having something with a certain color (ribbons, badges etc) so that you know they are in the roll call group as you are in a public area. The ones I've attended have been at a outside bar on the higher decks, not at the pool bar.

I arranged a formal CC M & G in Cagney's on the January 2 Getaway which was well attended by the officers and Erroll the hotel manager. They all gave our their business cards, in which I contacted a few during the cruise. Our balcony cabin received canapés, or chocolate covered strawberries, or international cheese platters every Night! This was a awesome perk for us as silver levels and being in a balcony cabin? Melinda, the CD told us about the entertainment options available, the glow party, the comedians, and the nightly shows which I found was very informative! I like the coma denied with fellow passengers, and trading cabin #'s to set up future socials, be it to play a game of cards, a swim in the pool for the kids, or meeting for a coffee, or watching a movie together in the Atrium.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Basically you try anything people want to do. The key is making sure there's interest. There's nothing worse than setting up a M&G and ended up with more NCL officers than participants. Unfortunately I saw it happen on the Epic. The poor girl that hosted it, started it late, and didn't really follow up well. Didn't get people invested. I felt sorry for her sitting in the room. But that happens.

If you're going to run one, you have gauge the roll call. How active they are, how many relationships have been started. All those things add up to how committed they will be to attend. Having things like gift exchanges or other activities they have to sign up for, and actually prepare for, works well too. If you do all the right things, like keeping the list current with CC names and the first names of everyone attending, and a total. Make sure it's visible at all times. Reminding them periodically, that the cruise is closer, and asking if there are any updates to the list. The norm for attendance is 50-60 percent. So, if you get 50 people that say they'll be there, you'll probably end up with 25-30. NCL knows that. So when you give them the number they know about what to actually expect. To improve that percentage on one cruise, I asked if anyone wanted to be reminded on board. They gave me their cabin number, and I left a flier the first night. I got about 70% for that one.

Unofrtunately, it doesn't sound like you have a very active, engaged, roll call. If that's true, informal may be the best way to go. Just so you know, those are usually attended by even a lower percentage than the formal ones.

No we don't seem to have a very active roll call group. I look at the weeks on either side of ours and those boards are much more active. Plus just a few of the posters on our roll call have indicated any interest in either a NCL M&G or an informal one. I've been burned in the past with trying to help organize something and having so many no shows even after such enthusiasm to come. Even though the NCL M&G sounds good I don't want to be the person to organize it because I'll be that gal sitting there feeling bad I told NCL "X" people would be there and 5 show up. That's why I was asking about a good spot to say to the roll call folks if you want to meet be at this place at this time. If no one shows we have a drink and leave.

On the Getaway, I'd suggest the Sugar Cane Mojito bar. It's one of the biggest inside bar spaces( deck 8 mid ship). If you try a bar by the pool deck, based on the day it will be jam packed. If you want to try an outside bar, then I'd go with the Sunset bar outside(deck 8). Although, It's right next the Humidor, and smoking is allowed at most of the bar stools.

I tried to meet up at the prime meridian bar the night before the meet and greet. It didn't work out as only one other couple found the bar.

I would do it through the ship. They seem to try to get 25 people. I'm going in 2 weeks. We just had 25 for the last few weeks but over the past week we have added another 10.

I think that if you arrange it and post about it they will come.

The other thing to do is put reminders on everyone's cabin on day 1. I did that on our Jade cruise (I used cheap (new) flip flops and cards decorated with beach stickers). It was a good workout/use of child labor), but we got done before muster and our M&G was very well attended. I used the flip flops as a way to mingle - find your pair!

I'm hosting our M&G with 75 attendees so far. Why/how did you get everyone's cabin #'s to put the flip flops on their cabin? Love the idea as it reminds me of my past TA group sailings where I hosted our entire group so had access to their cabin # prior to the cruise. I also used to decorate their cabin doors with some sort of decor/invites so can appreciate the comment of getting the workout. Seems like a bit of an added expense for you as well.

I just left a flier at their mailbox. No expense is too small. LOL. For Haven folks, since I couldn't get in, I just left a voice mail. I just asked everyone who wanted a reminder to send me their cabin number. I set up a gmail address for them to sent it to, so no one else would see it. DW was a data security professional. So, sharing cabin numbers is a no no.

No we don't seem to have a very active roll call group. I look at the weeks on either side of ours and those boards are much more active.

My roll call seemed pretty inactive, then I posted about organizing a M&G with NCL. I got about 25 people responding after about 3 weeks but contacted NCL anyway.

When I started posting "here's when the Meet and Greet is" and organizing a gift swap, posts picked up! I've got 67 responses on my list now at 8 days before embarkation.

So this might be a chicken-and-egg kind of thing.

• 1 year later...
Basically you try anything people want to do. The key is making sure there's interest. There's nothing worse than setting up a M&G and ended up with more NCL officers than participants. Unfortunately I saw it happen on the Epic. The poor girl that hosted it, started it late, and didn't really follow up well. Didn't get people invested. I felt sorry for her sitting in the room. But that happens.

If you're going to run one, you have gauge the roll call. How active they are, how many relationships have been started. All those things add up to how committed they will be to attend. Having things like gift exchanges or other activities they have to sign up for, and actually prepare for, works well too. If you do all the right things, like keeping the list current with CC names and the first names of everyone attending, and a total. Make sure it's visible at all times. Reminding them periodically, that the cruise is closer, and asking if there are any updates to the list. The norm for attendance is 50-60 percent. So, if you get 50 people that say they'll be there, you'll probably end up with 25-30. NCL knows that. So when you give them the number they know about what to actually expect. To improve that percentage on one cruise, I asked if anyone wanted to be reminded on board. They gave me their cabin number, and I left a flier the first night. I got about 70% for that one.

Unofrtunately, it doesn't sound like you have a very active, engaged, roll call. If that's true, informal may be the best way to go. Just so you know, those are usually attended by even a lower percentage than the formal ones.

Do you happen to know if NCL will send invitations to the M&G attendees if I provide the name and stateroom number? I’m a first time organizer and waiting for a reply from the ship coordinator. Also, do you know if the attendee must be a CC member. There are a few people on FB who would like to attend. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Do you happen to know if NCL will send invitations to the M&G attendees if I provide the name and stateroom number? I’m a first time organizer and waiting for a reply from the ship coordinator. Also, do you know if the attendee must be a CC member. There are a few people on FB who would like to attend. Thanks for any info you can provide.

A Cruise Critic Meet and Greet is considered to be a privately scheduled event for Cruise Critic members. It will not be listed in the Freestyle Daily.

I have hosted a number of M&G's. I would ask the ship's coordinator about invitations. I have never asked them to do that. They will provide name tags.

All of my M&G's have been held in one of the restaurants or lounges from 11 A.M. until Noon on the morning of the 1st Sea Day.

The M&G's are always interesting meeting those on your Roll Call and getting to meet the Senior Hotel Management staff. They provide a card with all the Officers names and phone numbers if problems arise. Their line is "We want to deal with your problems while you are on board ship and NOT read about them later on CC". Yes, they do read CC reviews.

Enjoy

I make up a single page fun type reminder myself. Get the cabin numbers from those want one. I usually deliver them myself. But, I have had them deliver to places I can't go, like the Haven or the Studios. They've told me at multiple M&Gs that if I wanted they would have delivered all of them. You just need to ask at guest services.

A Cruise Critic Meet and Greet is considered to be a privately scheduled event for Cruise Critic members. It will not be listed in the Freestyle Daily.

I have hosted a number of M&G's. I would ask the ship's coordinator about invitations. I have never asked them to do that. They will provide name tags.

All of my M&G's have been held in one of the restaurants or lounges from 11 A.M. until Noon on the morning of the 1st Sea Day.

The M&G's are always interesting meeting those on your Roll Call and getting to meet the Senior Hotel Management staff. They provide a card with all the Officers names and phone numbers if problems arise. Their line is "We want to deal with your problems while you are on board ship and NOT read about them later on CC". Yes, they do read CC reviews.

Enjoy

I’ve been to 4 M&G on Getaway and all have been at Cagneys so I assume that is where this one will be. On my question about inviting people from the fb group I’m not sure what to do about the ones who would like to participate but don’t want to join CC. 50 are CC members and 6 aren’t so I’m not advertising the M&G on the fb group any longer since I’m not sure about the rules. I’m signed up to attend a M&G on a November cruise and many have signed up on a spreadsheet that the organizer has posted on fb and are not CC members. All 5 of my upcoming cruises have private fb groups and all advertise the CC M&G. Guess I need to submit my question to a CC moderated. Thanks for your help!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I make up a single page fun type reminder myself. Get the cabin numbers from those want one. I usually deliver them myself. But, I have had them deliver to places I can't go, like the Haven or the Studios. They've told me at multiple M&Gs that if I wanted they would have delivered all of them. You just need to ask at guest services.

Thanks for the info!! I will ask the ship coordinator when I get their email. I have 56 people signed up for the M&G and only 11 cabins have requested an invitation so far. Five weeks till sail.

I’ve been to 4 M&G on Getaway and all have been at Cagneys so I assume that is where this one will be. On my question about inviting people from the fb group I’m not sure what to do about the ones who would like to participate but don’t want to join CC. 50 are CC members and 6 aren’t so I’m not advertising the M&G on the fb group any longer since I’m not sure about the rules. I’m signed up to attend a M&G on a November cruise and many have signed up on a spreadsheet that the organizer has posted on fb and are not CC members. All 5 of my upcoming cruises have private fb groups and all advertise the CC M&G. Guess I need to submit my question to a CC moderated. Thanks for your help!!

For my meet and greets, I've had non CCers attend. I figure after the M&G they may want to join anyway. They just don't have a CC id to fill in the on the NCL sign up sheet when they arrive. For the Bliss M&G I'm hosting, I've got couple folks signed up already. We cruise at the end of October.

For my meet and greets, I've had non CCers attend. I figure after the M&G they may want to join anyway. They just don't have a CC id to fill in the on the NCL sign up sheet when they arrive. For the Bliss M&G I'm hosting, I've got couple folks signed up already. We cruise at the end of October.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I really don’t want to uninvite anyone interested in meeting fellow sailors. I will be sailing Getaway for 2 weeks in August because one is just not long enough, Bliss in November LA to Miami, Bliss in December and Encore TA next November. I’ve become a NCL junkie the past 4 yrs. LOL