Learning to dance

Port out

We decided to learn to dance on a recent cruise on Ventura. A Geordie couple were the instructors. With enthusiasm we joined our fellow cruisers on the first day. Unfortunately it was clear from the start that the 'instructors' were only giving lip service to those new to dancing and were much more interested in the vast majority who were, shall we say, more skilled at the art at twirling around the dance floor. Needless to say we gave up after a few days as we were clearly becoming a nuisance and stopping the flow so to speak.

It was such a disappointment, but I would be interested to hear of others experience.

Left out

I wondered if that would be the case, my wife and I have been tempted to give it a try on last couple of cruises, but we would have been total beginners. So never plucked up the courage. We were considering trying it out on next cruise, but if what you say is the case, then we won't bother.

I know only too well how the script goes, I joined a beginners French class at the local college once, only to find I was one who had never learned any French at all. Same situation, got totally left behind.

I think you were unlucky with your teachers. I am a very experienced ballroom dancer - and on our Aurora cruise last year, I went to the classes and helped with some of the beginner dancers. The teachers on the ship were excellent and went through very basic steps. They taught right up to advanced people. I couldn't get over how big the classes were and how well they managed in the small space on the dancefloor. I would give it another go. Mummsie

We have found it variable too. On the Oriana last year there was an excellent couple who ran classes morning and afternoon during a transatlantic. The morning sessions started with basics, allowed time to consolidate as more steps were introduced and we were very impressed by the instrcutors' delivery, pace and attention to everyone's needs. In the afternoon they did a quick recap then introduced more complex steps - we felt at that point we weren't coping so well but having enjoyed the morning sessions were happy enough to either drop out in the afternoon when we had reached our limit or even not bother at all. In the evenings there were dedicated dance sessions hosted by the tutors though they weren't teaching. This gave the serious dancers plenty of opportunity to enjoy dancing. We felt the mix for beginners to experts was good - something for everyone.

This was on a Transatlantic so there was plenty of time to make some progress and to timetable lots of sessions. I think it's very variable though. On another cruise the tutors were so pedantic and spent more time demonstrating their skills and concentrating on minutiae such that we spent most time standing watching them. The fault there was lack of student involvement and progress. That was down to poor teaching skills - at least for beginners. Complete contrast from the tutors on the other trip.

The dance classes on Azura recently were very good for beginners and being held in Manhattan was a better setting for teaching than in the Atrium.

So you never know. I'd give it a try. I'm sure the appropriateness is so dependent on good tutors - and how the programme is structured. And if it's not really lessons in that beginners are basically excluded by the pace then make your opinions known on the questionnaire. There should be something to cater to all needs.

It was such a disappointment, but I would be interested to hear of others experience.

Left out

I agree with mummsie that you were unlucky. I've attended ballroom dancing sessions on Azura and Britannia. I have some dance experience, but none at all where ballroom is concerned, a couple of times I've gone with my daughter and last time with my husband, who has no dance experience at all. Our experience was as kruzseeka described on Oriana last year - the instructors started with the basics, built it up gradually, demonstrated the step, got us to try it and went round helping and correcting individual couples, all done with patience, tact and humour. They encouraged people to go to the evening dance sessions, although it was mainly the more experienced dancers who took them up.

I agree that you were very unlucky. We are experienced dancers and no way would we join in with these lessons. These lessons are for beginners and without doubt they would be put off by having experienced dancers basically showing off how clever they are. Its difficult enough to pluck up the courage. I really hope that anyone reading this thread does have a go because its great fun.

I would echo what most have said. I know one of the couples who do the dance teaching on P&O and went along to some of their lessons they did on Azura in the Caribbean and stood at the back to help out as they had such large numbers. I can only reassure you that with this couple the lessons are very much for beginners, they were very light hearted and inclusive. The afternoon session did move on from the mornings and yes a very few folk did drop out but numbers were good through the holiday and as folk relaxed there was a very good atmosphere in the classes. I have also been on a cruise where the instructors loved to "demonstrate" how good they were which just put people off and they voted with their feet. My only advice is if it's poor then mark it poorly on the questionnaire. I know my friends get regular feedback from P&O and their scores are reflected in future bookings.

I would echo what most have said. I know one of the couples who do the dance teaching on P&O and went along to some of their lessons they did on Azura in the Caribbean and stood at the back to help out as they had such large numbers. I can only reassure you that with this couple the lessons are very much for beginners, they were very light hearted and inclusive. The afternoon session did move on from the mornings and yes a very few folk did drop out but numbers were good through the holiday and as folk relaxed there was a very good atmosphere in the classes. I have also been on a cruise where the instructors loved to "demonstrate" how good they were which just put people off and they voted with their feet. My only advice is if it's poor then mark it poorly on the questionnaire. I know my friends get regular feedback from P&O and their scores are reflected in future bookings.

I think we came across the same poor teachers or should I say demonstrators since that was (almost exclusively) their teaching style! Such a shame as potentially when done well these sessions have a lot of appeal and support. But clearly there are some excellent tutors too pitching it at the right level. Hopefully the OP will come across those - if P&O take note of the feedback then they may have replaced the tutors who receive the poor ratings.

For passengers who genuinely want to learn to dance and are absolute beginners it is well worth considering contacting your local dance-school and having a few private lessons on the basics before joining your cruise.

This would be a great help to those couples with little confidence. Often there are so many passengers crowding the floor at the beginners' classes that it is very difficult for the instructors to give personal attention to everyone and those at the back often have difficulty in seeing what the instructors are demonstrating.

There is no doubt about it that dancing in the evenings is one of the most enjoyable aspects of cruising and it is well worth the effort of learning properly. Yes, some of the dance instructors do a great job but you will have a head start if you have a few private lessons first. And, of course, there is a wealth of basic tuition free of charge on Youtube. Anything that gives you the confidence to start can only be a good thing.

We are reasonable dancers and dance most nights on a cruise.

But to have attempted to learn on a cruise ship with the one hour lessons per day is out of the question.

We go and watch the lessons out of interest sometimes.

I smile when the instructors say come along to the dancing at night, as a cruise ships dance floor, in my opinion, is no place for the beginner. Not complaining about beginners just that beginners and more experienced dancers on a cruise dance floor is going to be tight.

I always think a simple sequence say Rumba 1 would be best to teach new dancers then everybody is at least going in the same direction.

Edited by 1160451

We are reasonable dancers and dance most nights on a cruise.

But to have attempted to learn on a cruise ship with the one hour lessons per day is out of the question.

We go and watch the lessons out of interest sometimes.

I smile when the instructors say come along to the dancing at night, as a cruise ships dance floor, in my opinion, is no place for the beginner. Not complaining about beginners just that beginners and more experienced dancers on a cruise dance floor is going to be tight.

I always think a simple sequence say Rumba 1 would be best to teach new dancers then everybody is at least going in the same direction.

You are definitely understanding your dancing ability, If you don't mind me saying, but what you say is correct. We often wonder why the instructors don't concentrate on Sequence. Newbies would definitely get some confidence from starting out that way. As "Slow Foxtrot" says a few lessons would also help. Its all about confidence.

You are definitely understanding your dancing ability, If you don't mind me saying, but what you say is correct. We often wonder why the instructors don't concentrate on Sequence. Newbies would definitely get some confidence from starting out that way. As "Slow Foxtrot" says a few lessons would also help. Its all about confidence.

So basically both yourself and Slow Foxtrot are confirming what original poster is saying. Don't bother with beginners lessons on the ship if you are a beginner :confused:

So basically both yourself and Slow Foxtrot are confirming what original poster is saying. Don't bother with beginners lessons on the ship if you are a beginner :confused:

Not at all, that's how we started out!! On a two week cruise we did Rumba, Jive, Waltz, Quickstep, Foxtrot and ChaChaCha and the dance instructors were a lovely couple. As soon as we got home we enrolled in a dance class and have never looked back. We still take a lesson every week.

Learning to dance is not easy, particularly for men. On the ship they try to give you what I would describe as a taster of about 8 different dances, some of which are really difficult. However, its an excellent opportunity to have a go where basically nobody knows you but. IMO, if you really want to learn then you would need to go for lessons.

I also said in a previous post that people should have a go because its great fun.

Not at all, that's how we started out!! On a two week cruise we did Rumba, Jive, Waltz, Quickstep, Foxtrot and ChaChaCha and the dance instructors were a lovely couple. As soon as we got home we enrolled in a dance class and have never looked back. We still take a lesson every week.

Learning to dance is not easy, particularly for men. On the ship they try to give you what I would describe as a taster of about 8 different dances, some of which are really difficult. However, its an excellent opportunity to have a go where basically nobody knows you but. IMO, if you really want to learn then you would need to go for lessons.

I also said in a previous post that people should have a go because its great fun.

Ummm I did get the impression that the instructors were keen to develop a lot of different dances within the group, so no wonder as newbies we failed so early on. What we have decided to do now is take some private lessons at home before our next cruise in June. So the 64 thousand dollar question is, what dances should we learn or concentrate on with our local instructor, prior to going on the cruise. This way we would at least have a sporting chance of holding our own on the ship while hopefully learning new dances.

Left out

Ummm I did get the impression that the instructors were keen to develop a lot of different dances within the group, so no wonder as newbies we failed so early on. What we have decided to do now is take some private lessons at home before our next cruise in June. So the 64 thousand dollar question is, what dances should we learn or concentrate on with our local instructor, prior to going on the cruise. This way we would at least have a sporting chance of holding our own on the ship while hopefully learning new dances.

Left out

The dance instructors could spend every lesson on the ship trying to teach a dance but all they would get would be complaints.

Anyway, delighted to hear you are going to learn. We learned with lessons in a class. There are basically 8 dances - Waltz, Quickstep, Foxtrot, Tango and Jive, ChaChaCha, Rumba, Samba (plus Viennese Waltz and Paso Doble). A dance instructor will possibly start you off with waltz or foxtrot and ChaChaCha but learning any of the dances would be great. You can always do a bit Rock n Roll as well. Its not easy but nobody was born being able to dance and if you stick with it you'll soon get to grips with it.

Good luck.

...A dance instructor will possibly start you off with waltz or foxtrot and ChaChaCha but learning any of the dances would be great. You can always do a bit Rock n Roll as well. Its not easy but nobody was born being able to dance and if you stick with it you'll soon get to grips with it.

Good luck.

The various dance teachers I know usually start beginners off with a Social Foxtrot which is very easy and quick to learn. Not only that, it can be slowed down or quickened up a little according to the music.

However, the Social Foxtrot is not to be confused with the Slow Foxtrot which is one of the hardest dances to learn and can take years to develop to a high standard. As dgs1956 mentions, the Waltz and the Cha Cha Cha can be picked up in their basic form with a little dedication. The thing is not to try and master too much at first as it could end in frustration.

Incidentally, it does no harm to learn a few of the easier sequence dances such as the Rumba 1 and the Square Tango. Many UK social dance venues play a mixture of Ballroom, Latin and Sequence so it's always handy to be able to join in these too.

We have been dancing socially and on cruises for very many years and it really is the best way to keep fit and, often, to develop great friendships.

Edited by Slow Foxtrot

My head is in a spin .... we start our first lesson next Tuesday! Wow. Any other advise would be welcome from you tinker toes

Left out

Well done!!

1 Just don't expect to learn to dance in a few lessons.

2 Find somewhere to practise if possible.

Its a fantastic "hobby" and for us its given us an opportunity to make lots of good friends , keep fit and share an interest.

Good luck.

For passengers who genuinely want to learn to dance and are absolute beginners it is well worth considering contacting your local dance-school and having a few private lessons on the basics before joining your cruise.

A very good idea. I think you will find it's P&O who ask the teachers to cover a range of dances. I would agree with others, a basic cha cha and social foxtrot and possibly waltz are ideal starters.

I also think beginners just starting dancing on a cruise should try not to be put off from dancing in the evenings just because they might feel everyone else looks so much better. Good dancers will find a way to dance around the less experienced. You might see a few who might think otherwise but believe me just because folk know a lot a steps, many are done badly and in the end dancing is about enjoyment and fun, not about ability.

Many of on board dance teachers also teach back in the UK and the teachers we know have certainly picked up new dance school customers from the classes on board.

Am I heading down the wrong avenue here?

I would like to learn to dance and the notes in Horizon say lessons for beginners

However .........

I have never danced

I am by myself (recently divorced)

I am 63

I am very fit

Do instructors dance with you to show you the steps if you are single?

Am I heading down the wrong avenue here?

I would like to learn to dance and the notes in Horizon say lessons for beginners

However .........

I have never danced

I am by myself (recently divorced)

I am 63

I am very fit

Do instructors dance with you to show you the steps if you are single?

Most of the people learning to dance are couples but their are plenty of single people, mainly ladies, that want to learn. There are also usually ladies who can dance but don't have a partner. Steps are initially taught separately so that gets you off to a start. I have no doubt whatsoever that you would find at least one partner. My advice is GO FOR IT and enjoy yourself.

As a beginner (we started dance classes last Oct) I would agree with comments about you being unlucky with the instructors. The couple (not sure if I am allowed to name them) on Oriana at Christmas were brilliant. Easy classes in the morning, and adding the harder bits in the afternoon.

The problem with P&O is that they tell the instructors to concentrate on the Ballroom and Latin dances, they are not supposed to teach any Sequence dances. This is a shame as many people like them, and as DGS says it builds confidence in a beginner.

We started with the Social Foxtrot, then the Waltz, and have progressed from there.

Port Out. One hour a week class is not enough, we now go 3 times a week to sessions that mainly concentrate on Sequence, and after the hour of tuition we stay on and join in the social dance, dancing the ones we know. We practice as often as we can at home as well. Never watched so little TV in my life.... :eek:

One thing we have found, both on Cruises and Social dances at home is that most of the experienced dancers are only too willing to help you. It's a lovely, friendly, and social pastime, we are hooked now.

Malcolm. Turn up to the dance classes, yes they walk both Men and Ladies steps through separately. It's a good way to see if you like it, and if you do then take classes when you get back home. There is usually a short supply of Men on their own, so more than likely you will end up with a partner to dance with.

On the Britannia the other day the dance lessons for the day were Rumba and Mayfair Quickstep. A difficult dance and an achievable, fun dance. From FB photos the dance floor is not over-crowded. Ian & Penny Crampton are the Dance Instructors. They are almost "resident" on Britannia. Excellent instructors and superb hosts. If you have a FB account then look them up.