Post Cruise: Murramarang Beachfront Nature Resort?

CSloan

We'll be on the RT Sydney to GBR Oct 15 - Oct 25. We're spending a day and a half in Sydney before the cruise. After the cruise, we'd like to get away from "the city" and do something a little different... see some nature and wildlife.

We'll get off the ship on Oct 25 in Sydney, then fly home from Sydney on Oct 28.

Looking at renting a car and driving to Murramarang Beachfront Nature Resort when we get off the ship to spend 2 nights there. Looks like a good place to "get away", see some nature and kangaroos. Also, looks like a good central point to do a bit of exploring. Looks like it's about a 4 hour+ drive from Sydney.

Does this sound like it makes sense? Or, any other suggestions for a similar couple of nights after docking in Sydney?

Thanks!!

We'll be on the RT Sydney to GBR Oct 15 - Oct 25. We're spending a day and a half in Sydney before the cruise. After the cruise, we'd like to get away from "the city" and do something a little different... see some nature and wildlife.

We'll get off the ship on Oct 25 in Sydney, then fly home from Sydney on Oct 28.

Looking at renting a car and driving to Murramarang Beachfront Nature Resort when we get off the ship to spend 2 nights there. Looks like a good place to "get away", see some nature and kangaroos. Also, looks like a good central point to do a bit of exploring. Looks like it's about a 4 hour+ drive from Sydney.

Does this sound like it makes sense? Or, any other suggestions for a similar couple of nights after docking in Sydney?

Thanks!!

Hi CSloan,

I live in Sydney and had to google it to see where it was. For those that don't know it, it is owned by the NRMA ( our NSW automobile association) and located south of Sydney down near Bateman's Bay (Durrus Lakes).

From the website: https://www.murramarangresort.com.au/

it looks lovely. A nice quiet getaway spot. Certainly worth considering, but remember the 4hour drive is not all "free-way". That road can twist and turn down that way, but you will see some nice natural scenery.

With it being over a 4 hour drive, I know others on this board may have some suggestions for you that are closer to Sydney and possibly worth considering.

Anyone with some alternative suggestions here??

eg. Central Coast, Kiama, Shell Harbour, Kangaroo Valley... etc. etc...

Regardless of where you go, enjoy your trip down under.

Thanks, Mark! Sounds like it might be a nice, if not long, drive. If there is anything closer, we would consider that as well. Just not sure where to start to look in the area for what we want to see. I know it's a "tourist" thing, but we really do want to see Kangaroos, outside of a zoo, and other wildlife

Just north of Batemans Bay where I live. Nice spot is Murramarang Resort, owned by NRMA, nice cabins, pool, restaurant onsite, plenty of roos hopping about. 10 minute drive into town. With a couple of stops 4.5 hour drive from Sydney CBD, 280 km.

Edited by NSWP

I live very near Murramarang and it is a beautiful spot - it will take you a good 4 hours to drive but there are some pretty little towns on the way and occasionally you get a stunning coastal view. Murramarang has kangaroos that are all around the resort - you will definitely see some and it is set in lovely bushland. Batemans Bay is around 10-15 minutes drive from the resort and you could try some of our tasty fish and oysters when in town.

As an alternative, You could also consider going up to the Blue Mountains - or seeing a bit more of Sydney as your day and a half pre-cruise will only just scratch the surface of the city and its harbour. As you will have a car you could day trip to the Royal National Park just south of Sydney or the Hawkesbury, just north and will be in some beautiful bushland and scenery. With such a short time I would seriously consider staying closer to Sydney - even though I would thoroughly recommend anyone to visit this area.

Edited by baycruising

Hi CSloan,

I live in Sydney and had to google it to see where it was. For those that don't know it, it is owned by the NRMA ( our NSW automobile association) and located south of Sydney down near Bateman's Bay (Durrus Lakes).

From the website: https://www.murramarangresort.com.au/

it looks lovely. A nice quiet getaway spot. Certainly worth considering, but remember the 4hour drive is not all "free-way". That road can twist and turn down that way, but you will see some nice natural scenery.

With it being over a 4 hour drive, I know others on this board may have some suggestions for you that are closer to Sydney and possibly worth considering.

Anyone with some alternative suggestions here??

eg. Central Coast, Kiama, Shell Harbour, Kangaroo Valley... etc. etc...

Regardless of where you go, enjoy your trip down under.

Count me as another who'd never heard of it. But so many places in Australia I doubt anyone could keep up with them all.

Also seems a long way to drive to me, but I guess you could take in Canberra as well.

Thanks!!

Obviously, there are some things you just can’t miss on Sydney! Of course, there’s the Sydney Opera House as the top attraction. I suggest you squeeze into your schedule the Harbour Bridge. You can also catch a ferry to experience the city from water. If you want to relax by visiting one of the beautiful beaches, you just have to take a short bus ride from the center. But travel wise, this city is beaming with must see places so whatever itinerary you decide to have, you will surely love your time in Sydney! 

You could also consider the Jervis Bay areas, such as Huskisson. A much easier trip, about 2 1/2 hours south of Sydney. There are a number of options, you can travel on the freeway or take our beautiful coastal drive down through the Royal National Park, along the Seacliff Bridge and down through Kiama and Seven Mile beach. Absolutely beautiful trip to take. Once at Husky you can do whale/dolphin watch cruises. There are also many great wineries in the region as well. [emoji1][emoji485]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Murramurang looks good to me, but it would be about 4 hours from Sydney. I think I stayed there about 20 years ago, but there will have been lots of changes since then.

There is a town called Mogo on the Princess Highway reasonably close. It has shops to buy interesting things.

But, the real highlight of Mogo is the zoo which is about 1 kilometre from the township.

Please keep the ideas coming!

Murramurang is a long drive, but it's all I've found (with my limited knowledge and research so far) that is along the lines of what we're looking for. Something closer would be nicer. Although, I'm not opposed to a nice drive to explore the countryside enroute.

We live a couple of hours from San Francisco, and close to wine country in California. And, actually, we don't drink wine :-)

We will have spent 10 days on a cruise doing mostly water activities before getting back to Sydney, and will have seen some of Sydney before the cruise.

So, we're looking for something away from city-life where we would be in the midst of nature and wildlife (kangaroos), and some hiking/walking trails.

Any ideas on that?

I really appreciate the input!!:)

We have a holiday house within walking distance of Murramarang Resort, it's a VERY special area of Australia. If you are looking for Kangaroos, pristine wilderness and direct access to some of the best beaches in the world, with a good chance you will have these entire beach to yourself, you found the place...but don't go telling everyone about it...we are trying to keep it a secret! :)

Traditionally overseas visitors would choose the Hunter Valley or Blue Mountains because of the tourist infrastructure and easy access, but if you are looking for the REAL Australia head south from Sydney and go off the beaten track.

We have a holiday house within walking distance of Murramarang Resort, it's a VERY special area of Australia. If you are looking for Kangaroos, pristine wilderness and direct access to some of the best beaches in the world, with a good chance you will have these entire beach to yourself, you found the place...but don't go telling everyone about it...we are trying to keep it a secret! :)

Traditionally overseas visitors would choose the Hunter Valley or Blue Mountains because of the tourist infrastructure and easy access, but if you are looking for the REAL Australia head south from Sydney and go off the beaten track.

And we are not overdeveloped in the Eurobodalla, no high rise, no theme parks. I have lived in Batemans Bay for 12 years, since retirement, God's Country.

Edited by NSWP

I think you could look anywhere from Kiama down and find exactly what you are looking for. Plenty of nature and walking tracks or hikes and wildlife at nearly any one of the coastal towns. We play golf at a couple of different courses in the area (Callala Beach and St Georges Basin) where you have to literally scoot the 'Roos away to take your next shot! Wherever you decide you can't go wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much for all of your replies! We went ahead and reserved a couple of nights at Murramarang Resort. It seems to be exactly what we're looking for. We won't be in a rush driving there or driving back, so the journey will actually be part of the destination :-)

Looking forward to seeing part of your beautiful country!

About 15 years ago my workplace held a conference at Murramarang with lots of international visitors. The visitors still talk about it and the Kangaroos.

We stayed there once a few years later and the roos were everywhere (and the ground was littered with their poo!). The cabins were basic but had everything we needed.

I'm not sure how much it has changed in the intervening years but a friend stayed there a year ago and loved it.

I also recommend Wollongong, Mt Keira lookout, the Nan Tien Buddhist Temple, Kiama's Blowhole and North Beach on the way down or back from Sydney. :)

Do divert and drive over the Seacliff bridge on the way down the coast - preferably get out and have a walk there. Your ideas of making the journey part of the holiday are well suited to this trip. A stop at the boat harbour at Gerringong would be worthwhile for a coffee break - there is some interesting historical information and there is one of our iconic ocean pools - refilled by every wave. Enjoy Murramarang. For somewhere special for lunch or dinner you could try On the Pier in Batemans Bay - plenty of reviews available - but if you do venture out at night - watch out for those kangaroos - they cause severe damage if you hit them. If you would like to get a different perspective going back you can take the inland route - up the Clyde Mountain and turn right to Goulburn and then freeway back to Sydney. Time and distance is similar and Goulburn is an interesting country town. Welcome to our beautiful part of the world.

but if you do venture out at night - watch out for those kangaroos - they cause severe damage if you hit them. If you would like to get a different perspective going back you can take the inland route - up the Clyde Mountain and turn right to Goulburn and then freeway back to Sydney. Time and distance is similar and Goulburn is an interesting country town. Welcome to our beautiful part of the world.

Some great ideas here.

Roos are most likely to be out and about at dawn and dusk. (That is when we take international visitors to find them).

I agree with coming back on the inland route. You could visit Fitzroy Falls (http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/visitor-centres/fitzroy-falls-visitor-centre), Bundanoon, Bowral going that way.

If you had time, I would suggest a visit to Canberra (where I live) as it is only 90 kilometres further but you probably won't have enough time. :)

• 2 months later...

So... I'm revisiting this thread. We've decided we don't want to drive as far as Murramarang after all from Sydney. We'll still have 2 nights before the cruise in Sydney, and have now changed our air so that we fly home to California on 30 October. The cruise ends October 25.

Still wanting to stay 2-3 nights outside of Sydney - away from the hustle and bustle of the city - but would like it to be within a couple of hours. There are so many options! As I mentioned before, we'd like to see some nature and wildlife during our stay outside of Sydney. We're ok with going inland, since we will have been 10 days on the ship. Not looking for fancy, but do want something nice and not too pricey.

I'm kind of rambling here.. thinking out loud. Feel free to chime in

So... I'm revisiting this thread. We've decided we don't want to drive as far as Murramarang after all from Sydney. We'll still have 2 nights before the cruise in Sydney, and have now changed our air so that we fly home to California on 30 October. The cruise ends October 25.

Still wanting to stay 2-3 nights outside of Sydney - away from the hustle and bustle of the city - but would like it to be within a couple of hours. There are so many options! As I mentioned before, we'd like to see some nature and wildlife during our stay outside of Sydney. We're ok with going inland, since we will have been 10 days on the ship. Not looking for fancy, but do want something nice and not too pricey.

I'm kind of rambling here.. thinking out loud. Feel free to chime in ��

Kiama would suit you, stop on the way there at Symbio - Helensburgh, a wild life park. Kiama is nice, couple of hours drive from Sydney CBD.

I second NSWP's suggestion. Kiama is beautiful and not too long a drive. I would suggest going via the Grand Pacific Drive one way which follows the coast between Sydney and Wollongong. You could also go a little further south from Kiama to Kangaroo Valley and go back up through the southern highlands to make a loop. Not sure which direction it would be better to do it in, someone else here might have an opinion on whether the views are better going north or south on the Grand Pacific Drive or whether it makes no difference.

Penny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Penny's loop drive. It's easy to navigate and takes in a good slice of white sand coastal beaches, cliff face ocean, sweeping engineering, hinterland and history. I'd like to recommend renting a cabin at the small Shellharbour Caravan Park for your first night out of Sydney. It's a stunning location and the village shops are full of seafood outlets and intriguing stores. The pub does a great meal. If you arrive early enough just exploring the beach front is so totally relaxing you feel like you're a million miles from the city you left just a couple of hours ago.