Why should you book direct with RC?

immy619

I've always gone to the same TA...me, so I retain control of the booking . The best thing I got from it was on Adventure of the Seas in 2009 when I got a family cabin for 4 of us a week before sailing after having reduced from a 5 person party. The extr room in the cabin was worth more than any given perk. Still, I'm going to try C&A desk for all my inquiries from now on, especially since I'm Diamond (Elite on X)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've always used a TA when booking our Cruises. Before I book I do all my research so when I call the TA I tell them exactly what I want. The only thing the TA needs to do is apply their perks, any Cruise line perks and any tier level perks to my booking and call the Cruise line and book it. After that I periodically check my booking. If I see a price drop, I call the TA immediately and get the price drop. If I see a cabin I'd rather have I call the TA immediately and get the new cabin. If we decide on a different dining option I call immediately and get the dining changed. If I see any kind of issue with my reservation I call the TA immediately and get it taken care of. I have no problem doing this. The only difference is the TA calls the Cruise line instead of me. I've never had any problems getting any of this done immediately (while on the phone, not the next day, not by Email) when contacting the TA I use. If the TA I booked with isn't available then I contact the after sales department for that TA and they take of my requests. immediately. Do I and would I set back and assume the TA I use will be monitoring my reservation the way I do, hell no! Maybe I'm missing out on something else by not booking directly with the Cruise line.

Edited by davekathy

Ive done direct with RCI. I've done with one of the online TAs a few times. And I've done both on one cruise (book with RCI, then transfer to TA for additional OBC).

This morning, big price drop, got alerted by the price tracker website. Mock booking confirmed it. I can't do anything on my own, the TA has this booking. Call the TA at 6 AM, got someone right away, they confirmed nearly $1000 in savings for the price drop. And then, said they can't do anything for me. RCI is "closed" till 8 AM, call back then so they can call RCI and rebook it. You know where this is going. Called back at 8 AM, and by then RCI jacked the prices back up. The rep for the TA (diff one from the 6 AM call) says no need to rebook, you got a better price already with your originally booking! I said look at the notes on my booking, the rep at 6 AM confirmed a $1000 savings, don't tell me this. To no avail.

So I got like $300 OBC when I transferred the booking to the TA. And lost out on $1000 savings a month later. Sigh.... All because this giant TA can't call RCI before 8 AM.

similar with a Delta booking. I had a ton of FF miles. I tried to book but they would not book the free flights for three to Ireland until we were 11 months from depature. So, when the clock struck midnight, Used my miles to book them to Ireland for a 6 week visit. While on the phone I asked to book the return flight. Nope, the return booking had to wait until 11 months prior to their return date!! I was in St Louis 6 weeks later and called them 11pm CST. They said I had to wait another hour to book! I told them no way! They are based in Atlanta and it was midnight there. I did get them to book the return while I was on the phone. It was a quirky 6 weeks as summer is high travel time to Ireland and I fretted that I may be stuck booking three seperate flights to get my family home.

On American, I also had a ton of miles but I learned my lesson. I turned in my miles for an iPad!

Now , I try to limit flying and use Jet Blue or SW.

Flying is such a cattle car deal, I don't worry about accumulating anything with airlines.

I find paying a bit more for "more room" on Jet Blue gets you to the front of the aircraft and you can board when you want, no need to be called to board on your miles status. Sit up front, and first off.