Princess Visa - Looks like they have fixed transaction credits!!

killineybay

Logged onto my Princess Visa today. Finally see transaction credits for previous cruises. Wondering however if redeeming 40,000 points for 500 dollars onboard credit might be better than applying credit to previous cruises. Wonder what the best redemption value is.

I read OPs new info about credits being posted and thought it too good to be true, after having "lived" through ~5 weeks of trying to get a statement credit. I knew I needed to contact them again to get all subsequent Princess purchases posted but really wasn't looking forward to the hassle!

Well, with much fear and trepidation, I took a peek...took some time to figure out where they were hiding the information, but...there they all were!! Every credit!!

AND, they also list how many more days until they expire. That means you can add up all your qualifying Princess purchases and if >$4001, you are able to redeem accrued points for a statement credit at 2%. Of course, a lower redemption rate applies based on total of Princess purchases.

I plan on keeping an eye on when my Princess total is about to drop to the next cut-off-point of redemption percentage, then redeem points at that time. Well, at least that's what my plan is for now...

OP, thanks for letting us know that Princess Visa is finally getting their act together regarding the changes they made several months ago!

That means you can add up all your qualifying Princess purchases and if >$4001, you are able to redeem accrued points for a statement credit at 2%. Of course, a lower redemption rate applies based on total of Princess purchases.

I plan on keeping an eye on when my Princess total is about to drop to the next cut-off-point of redemption percentage, then redeem points at that time.

Ok, I' confused :confused: My 'understanding' is that the redemption rate is based on a single charge, not on a sum of qualifying Princess charges. Of course, this is based on posts of people who had to jump through hoops to get a statement credit.

Does anyone know for sure if we can add up qualifying Princess charges to get a better redemption rate?

Lynn

Ok, I' confused :confused: My 'understanding' is that the redemption rate is based on a single charge, not on a sum of qualifying Princess charges. Of course, this is based on posts of people who had to jump through hoops to get a statement credit.

Does anyone know for sure if we can add up qualifying Princess charges to get a better redemption rate?

Lynn

It doesn't say 'single charge' or sum of multiple Princes purchases. This if from the website:

What's the best redemption value among eligible transactions?

Redeeming for a statement credit toward a Princess Cruise Lines transaction offers the best redemption value. The greater the purchase amount, the greater the potential rewards value.

Princess purchase amount ($50 or greater) within last 180 days = Redemption points value

$50 to $499.99 = 1%

$500 -$2,000.99 = 1.25%

$2,001-$4,000.99 = 1.5%

$4,001+ = 2.0%

So though it says "purchase" and "transaction" (both singular), I would think that all qualifying Princess purchases could be added together and redeemed (all would then disappear from the list of qualifying purchases) at the appropriate percentage.

At least that's how I'm going to ask them to redeem my points. It would seem if a person wanted statement credits to "offset" any/all previous qualifying purchases, they could use them that way. Of course, as they haven't done a good job in explaining the program change to the customer OR their own staff and they haven't done a good job in redemption thus far (lots of phone calls, messaging, waiting, etc.) then they either provide excellent customer service by redeeming this way or I can easily take my business elsewhere. I've decided to give them another chance...we'll see...

I have looked at my Princess Credit Card Rewards Points page and hope someone can answer me before I have to call the credit card company.

We have a ribbon next to one of our cruises that says "TOP PICK" What does that mean? The cruise cost is less than another cruise on our "Available To Use" for credit list.

Also, trying to nail down the math they use to redeem points without selecting the "Redeem Points" button.

If I have a cruise that costs $5000, an I correct in using the following equation to determine the number of redeemable points:

$5000/0.02= 250,000 points

and if I can add all of my "Available to Use Credits" in one batch, it would add up to $7000, then I would use $7000/0.02=350,000 points.

If I use that "TOP PICK" which was $2230, but I spent over $4000 over the past 120 days, I assume that I use $2230/0.02= 111,500 points. Or do I have to use a loker %?

Can anyone help me with this? I am just trying to get the most out of my points with the credit card changes!

I have looked at my Princess Credit Card Rewards Points page and hope someone can answer me before I have to call the credit card company.

We have a ribbon next to one of our cruises that says "TOP PICK" What does that mean? The cruise cost is less than another cruise on our "Available To Use" for credit list.

Also, trying to nail down the math they use to redeem points without selecting the "Redeem Points" button.

If I have a cruise that costs $5000, an I correct in using the following equation to determine the number of redeemable points:

$5000/0.02= 250,000 points

and if I can add all of my "Available to Use Credits" in one batch, it would add up to $7000, then I would use $7000/0.02=350,000 points.

If I use that "TOP PICK" which was $2230, but I spent over $4000 over the past 120 days, I assume that I use $2230/0.02= 111,500 points. Or do I have to use a loker %?

Can anyone help me with this? I am just trying to get the most out of my points with the credit card changes!

The number of redeemable points is based on all the purchases you have made, Princess or otherwise. So if you spend $20 at a big box store, you got 20 points. If you spent $20 with Princess, you got 40 points.

You can see how many total points you currently have by looking at the online site or your monthly statement.

Redemption of the total points you have accrued is where the percentage comes in. Let's use your example of the $5000 cruise and we'll assume you have no other purchases at all on your Visa, ever. So you would show 10,000 total points on your Visa that are available to redeem. As I only redeem for statement credits, I can't speak to redeeming for any other purpose. But your 10,000 points could be redeemed for a statement credit at a 2% rate since your Princess purchase was <$4001. So that would garner a $200 credit to be applied to your statement. If you had had points from purchases made anywhere else, you'd be able to redeem them (in this scenario) at 2%.

If your qualifying Princess purchase had been <$4001, then the percentage you can redeem points goes down accordingly.

You have to have some sort of qualifying purchase in order to redeem points. And if a Princess purchase, though the points themselves remain on your account for future redemption, actual qualifying purchases "expire" after 180 day. Back to your example: if you wait until day 181 to redeem all of your accrued points, your $5000 Princess qualifying purchase would have expired and you'd either have to redeem at (likely) 1% or may not be able to redeem at all if there are no qualifying purchases of any type.

There are other idiosyncrasies of the program (like $50 increments) but it's confusing enough as it is :eek:

At least all of the above is what I've been able to do.