Getaway Western Caribbean Cabin Choice?

cedarfisher

Easy way to remember which is port side... Port has 4 letters, left has 4 letters, so port side is the left side of ship.

After 15 cruises, we don't even debate port or starboard cabin choices because you usually always have a nice view on either side in port. Even when we are next to another ship, we find it interesting to check it out and people watch.

On the ships with the fish pattern in the carpeted passageways - the fish are swimming to the bow except for the wrong way Corrigan (the RED one's).

NCL does not number their cabins like some other ship lines with Even on the Port and Odd on the Starboard -

BUT - NCL does start at the BOW (front) of the ship with smaller numbers ascending to larger numbers AFT.

If you are on deck and the ship is underway - the wind in your face is a clue that's the BOW - your left is Port and your right is STARBOARD.

Just got back from sailing on the Getaway in a balcony on the port side. In Roatan, we were portside, and even though it was raining, it was nice to see the local dancers and to people watch. In Costa Maya, we were again portside. In Cozumel, the starboard side was portside. It didn't matter, because there was an MSC ship docked next to us so it was impossible to see outward anyway. And, you couldn't see down to the dock from the higher decks because of the lifeboats.

You never know which side the ship will dock on or even which dock will be used in some ports. We don't plan one side or the other any more. We just grab a room and enjoy the cruise. For a Getaway mini, look at deck 8. Those are the minis with the much bigger balcony. The Getaway class ships have pretty small balconies whether balcony room or mini...except those on deck 8.

Here's a huge bunch of Getaway pictures I took a couple of years ago. A few changes since then, but she's pretty much the same.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway1/DSCN5596_zps8f68ea0b.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

Hey everyone. I'm thinking of changing my cabin. I have a mid ship balcony deck 9. I like being one floor up from deck 8 the boardwalk, but don't want to be looking down on those little boats hanging off the side. Should I move?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm on deck 10 the next week, mid-ship balcony. I would look at what is directly beneath your cabin on deck 8 as my main question. We like 10 because it only has cabins below it and just 2 decks down to 8 using stairs as the elevators can get packed!

Thanks...I have tried to see a picture of the side of the ship to see what will be right under us. No luck....I am in cabin 9262. Anyone with a picture? or a idea if I am right above one of the lifeboats? Thanks everyone, you guys are the best. Renee'

Better bang for your buck is an AFT Balcony on the 9th floor. The balcony is as long as the room and you can fit 2 lounge chairs as well as 2 regular chairs and a table. Some of the balcony is in the shade and some has sun. Look at videos on Youtube to see.

True Story! We had 9916 last year and it was out of this world. We had a table plus four chairs and four loungers on our deck. I never wanted to leave.

Thanks...I have tried to see a picture of the side of the ship to see what will be right under us. No luck....I am in cabin 9262. Anyone with a picture? or a idea if I am right above one of the lifeboats? Thanks everyone, you guys are the best. Renee'
It looks like "On the Waterfront" in right below you....it extends all around the back of the ship here's a link to the deck plan for deck 8 https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/deck-plans