Cruise line comparison - NCL vs RCCL

Scootch

Hello,

DH and I have sailed several times on RCCL and are looking to try something different. For those of you who have sailed both cruise lines, I welcome your opinions/thoughts. We like the LARGER ships, so are considering NCL Breakaway.

Our cruising style:

Balcony room

casual dress attire

We choose the ship, not the ports

We spend many hours poolside

Thank you in advance.

Happy sailing!

We also have sailed on RCI and NCL several times each. We also like our balcony and casual dress. We prefer RCI, but just a overall feeling, I think the food might be a little better and possibly the entertainment. That said we are sailing on NCL this March. We do like the freestyle dining. We pick mainly by destination and departure port. We've sailed NCL, RCI and Celebrity and have never had a bad cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello,

DH and I have sailed several times on RCCL and are looking to try something different. For those of you who have sailed both cruise lines, I welcome your opinions/thoughts. We like the LARGER ships, so are considering NCL Breakaway.

Our cruising style:

Balcony room

casual dress attire

We choose the ship, not the ports

We spend many hours poolside

Thank you in advance.

Happy sailing!

RCCL all the way.

I've sailed three times with NCL and once with RCI and I have to say that I preferred RCI MUCH more than NCL. I liked the ship itself better, the food and service better, just got a better feeling from RCI. Our first NCL cruise was great, but with all the changes and current promos, to me it seems to diminished the quality IMO. With NCL's third and fourth person sail free promos, the ships are getting more and more crowded. With the UBP as a promo, it seems as if the bars are overwhelmed and it can take quite awhile to get a drink. With the UDP included in the promo, it can be very hard to get reservations at specialty restaurants without booking them far in advance. For these reasons I'm going to be shying away from NCL for awhile. We're trying Princess for the first time next year, and I'm hoping to sail more with RCI.

I was on Breakaway last March and Anthem in October.

We usually do balconies, on Breakaway I upgrade to the Haven and loved it, but i didn't feel like I really got a sense of the ship since we spent so much time in the Haven area. But what I can say from what we did see it was really nice. We enjoyed Rock of Ages and music in the atrium area. I enjoyed the waterfront area and we had a good time at the parties. We ate in a couple

Of the MDRs and the buffet, it was all good.

Anthem was great, we had a balcony room and enjoyed both the dining rooms and the specialty restaurants. The ship is beautiful.

On Breakaway there is less pool area then on Anthem. The adult area on Breakaway (Vibe) doesn't have a pool, but some waterfall type things to cool off. I think both pools are very crowded - but it's pretty much like that on all ships.

I think Breakaway is a good choice and would be a great time.

I honestly think it is completely tied to your own opinions and experiences. We loved our trip on the Oasis, but we loved the Getaway so much more that we went on her twice and are headed on the Escape this June. We like larger ships, good food and lots of activities for our kids to do -- and yet we get to have time to ourselves. People rave about RCCL food, but I thought that food on the Getaway was far superior. Depends on the ship and the person. Read through the reviews for the ship you want to sail on to see if there are people that share your opinions and go from there -- either way, it's a great vacation! Enjoy!

I like both but there's a reason we almost always go NCL. We like that you don't need to dress up if you don't want, can eat when or where you want if not doing pay dining, the drink package is pretty good for trying new drinks, and on the newest ships we love the waterfront on deck 8. We enjoyed both Breakaway & Getaway. There are things I enjoy about RCL also and will be on Oasis of the Seas next February. That's our 1st of their big ships. Either way you should have fun if you're not expecting everything to be equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just my opinions, but..... Insides,OV or balconies, slight edge RCCL. Suites or above, NCL hands down. Ships, slight edge RCCL, although I think NCL's Jewel class ships are still some of the best at sea. Food, very close with a slight edge to NCL. Crew, very close, but I have had some great butler and concierge service on NCL. Entertainment, edge to NCL, although I did see one of the worst acts in the history of the high seas on the NCL Majesty years ago. A juggler who couldn't juggle..... It's a cruise, go and have fun.

Thank you all for your replies....good information!

We have family who have only sailed once on RCCL and they are trying NCL in May. On RCCL they had 1 balcony and 1 inside room, had to pay for drink pkgs. On NCL, they got 2 balcony's, drink pkgs, and 3 specialty restaurants all less $ than their RCCL trip on Oasis.

Mind you, it's not all about $$. I don't have a problem paying for a good product....I just want to see if I can get a good product elsewhere without sacrificing on meeting my personal preferences.

We have sailed Breakaway twice and were on Anthem's 12 day sailing on Jan 2, so have spent almost equal time on each ship.

We found a big difference between suite perks, so opted for two connected balcony cabins (cat BC) on Anthem. We've been in an H6 and BC on Breakaway. Anthem's balcony cabins are much bigger than Breakaway's, and the balcony sizes are very different (bigger on Anthem). Bathrooms were about the same. As for ship amenities, Anthem has the indoor pool and lounge area which Breakaway has in the Haven.

As for things to do, I found Anthem's activities were fun but less active than Breakaway. Bumper cars and flow rider don't burn calories like the ropes course or repeatedly climbing the stairs for water slides!

As for food, we found MDR food to be higher quality on Anthem, though we've never starved on NCL. Haven and specialties restaurant food on NCL was similar to Anthem.

We preferred the shows on Breakaway, though Rock of Ages and We Will Rock You were similar quality. I wasn't a fan of The Gift or Spectra's Cabaret. The magicians were similar, Anthem's comedian was awful.

Fwiw we are back on Breakaway in an H6 in March. I'm not sure that we would sail Anthem again, as we prefer suites and they really don't have anything in our price range for 4 people that gives the adults some privacy.

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are seasoned cruiers and sailed RCCL often in the past. Many sailigns with Celebrity. We wanted to try Anthem and we did do this past fall. Likely will not sail RCCL again anytime soon, it was not the way we like to cruise.

We have been on Breakaway twice and will be sailing Getaway very soon. The single thing that has me on edge is the pool area. Its too small. There are alternate decks and areas that distribute the passengers which work out, but for pool lovers and sun worshippers like us, its a challenge. Have enjoyed the Haven, have enjoyed Vibe, and am hoping to figure somehing out for this upcomming sailing.

The entertainment on the NCL ships we have been on has been super. The specialty dining on the ships we have been on has been super as well, much, much better and prettier than Anthem.

If you have read that the balconies are very small, that is the truth. Pack light becasue you do not have to 'dress up' which is very freeing.