Does Oceania Routinely Overbook Cruises?

cruisead

We're booked on an Oceania cruise for this March. Our TA called today to say that our cruise is overbooked, and would we change cruises. We can't change due to DH's medical treatment schedule, so we said no. But after reading these boards it sure does seem like Oceania overbooks more often than most. In our more than 40 cruises on various lines, we've never experienced overbooking. So, why does Oceania overbook their cruises?

Most straight from answer to your question is, to maximize revenue.

All cruise lines try to over book. X number as X number will never follow through to final payment and, for various reasons Y will cancel even after FP.

This may be changing as I've read here, they will be accepting fewer GTYs so less over booking. Unlike many cruise lines, O's GTYs are normally not at a reduced price.

The counter marketing move is to often offer reductions. Which means they've entered the game of price watchers. Just annoys customers AFAIC. So popular amongst mass market lines there are websites that monitor your purchase price for a percentage of your savings. Even CC offers to price watch.

Not a game for me. Like buying a used car from a curber.

So if you are on a popular itinerary, in a in-demand cabin you can get such offers from O. Search this board for move over offers to see other posts

We're booked on an Oceania cruise for this March. Our TA called today to say that our cruise is overbooked, and would we change cruises. We can't change due to DH's medical treatment schedule, so we said no. But after reading these boards it sure does seem like Oceania overbooks more often than most. In our more than 40 cruises on various lines, we've never experienced overbooking. So, why does Oceania overbook their cruises?

To the best of my memory, I've never read a post on this board ranting about getting a phone call/letter from Oceania saying, "Sorry, but we're overbooked and you can't take the cruise. Here's your money back" Instead, Oceania will offer incentives to move some people off an overbooked cruise to make sure everyone who truly wants to be on a specific cruise will be on board.

The process to get to that state may be irritating to some. Your travel agent may contact you repeatedly with increasingly generous offers to move off one cruise onto another. If you have no interest in switching at any price, just say so. Your travel agent is legally obligated to keep making Oceania's offers to you unless and until you directly say you have no interest in switching. Then, the offers stop. It's that simple.

Significantly, try to understand there's nothing personal in the process. I vividly remember one poster writing about a travel companion being enraged after receiving a single offer to move. This post suggested all the reasons why this particular cruiser wasn't an appropriate candidate for switching. Many people responded saying the same thing: Oceania doesn't make the offers to specific people; the company doesn't decide who is the best candidate to switch cruises. They simply contact everyone in the needed class of accommodation until enough people accept. And they do!

Which brings me right back to the start of my post. When the ship sails, if you want to be on the cruise and you've paid for the cruise you will be on the cruise. As long as that's the case, I don't have any problem in Oceania's overbooking policy.

Most straight from answer to your question is, to maximize revenue.

Not a game for me. Like buying a used car from a curber.

I've never heard the phrase curber before. Is that like a person that operates on their own always selling cars, but putting them at the curb on in their front yard with a for sale sign?

We've been on several overbooked cruises and received offers. We accepted once, declined another time and accepted a cabin downgrade once.

Oceania makes offers to booked customers in the same manner airlines deal with overbooked flights. Initial generous offers go out, if not enough customers accept O sweetens the pot. In our experience the offers became ridiculously lucrative.

We're booked on an Oceania cruise for this March. Our TA called today to say that our cruise is overbooked, and would we change cruises. We can't change due to DH's medical treatment schedule, so we said no.

If you are not interested in switching just tell your TA & they will not send further offers

I've never heard the phrase curber before. Is that like a person that operates on their own always selling cars, but putting them at the curb on in their front yard with a for sale sign?

"Curber" appears to have several meanings. But this use I believe means someone who buys a wreck, fixes it up and then tries to sell it.

yes, that was my intended meaning. Locally it often refers to such people who are actually dealers who present themselves as individual owners as part of their price negotiation tactics.

the point was playing price negotiation games. I liked O's early bookings get best offer. Easy to understand, makes it more simple to decide on the purchase not wondering if a better deal is coming up. I like to feel positive of those I do business with.

Please don't read things into my original post that weren't written or intended. I never said I was annoyed or bothered by the offer, nor did I ever say that people here were ranting about receiving offers to change. I did say that some here have reported that they've been called to change their cruises because of overbooking. I never said I was getting numerous phone calls to change our cruise---one phone call, and we politely refused the offer. My question was, does Oceania routinely or intentionally overbook their cruises----simple as that. No ranting, no being bothered and no need to call our TA.

Please don't read things into my original post that weren't written or intended. I never said I was annoyed or bothered by the offer, nor did I ever say that people here were ranting about receiving offers to change. I did say that some here have reported that they've been called to change their cruises because of overbooking. I never said I was getting numerous phone calls to change our cruise---one phone call, and we politely refused the offer. My question was, does Oceania routinely or intentionally overbook their cruises----simple as that. No ranting, no being bothered and no need to call our TA.

I hope my post did not distract from your intention.

"does Oceania routinely or intentionally overbook their cruises"

Direct answer is Yes.

Most (all?) cruise lines do. It maximizes revenue.

How the cruise lines manage over bookings is the difference. I think O does it very well. Other cruise lines might as well or might not.

I hope my post did not distract from your intention.

"does Oceania routinely or intentionally overbook their cruises"

Direct answer is Yes.

Most (all?) cruise lines do. It maximizes revenue.

How the cruise lines manage over bookings is the difference. I think O does it very well. Other cruise lines might as well or might not.

I say keep the offers coming as I have just completed a free cruise for accepting a downgrade from a Concierge balcony to an Ocean view, 21 days with Oceania is what I call a deal !!!