Passport Question

cruise_ready_2014

We leave on the Carnival Conquest on June 12th. We usually travel with our passports just to make things as simple as possible. My son currently has a minors passport. This passport will expire in April and he will turn 16 May 30th. I know that when he turns 16 he will be eligible for an adult passport. Is it best to just let him travel with birth certificate and license for this trip or can I renew the minors passport and continue to use it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I do know many people will say that birth certificate and state issued ID is okay. Will he have his driver's license by then?

I think if you renew his passport now it will renew him as a minor and only be good for 5 years. If you wait til after he's 16 to renew it, it'll be good for 10 years for the same cost. If you decide to wait til April to renew it, you should still be okay timewise. I renewed my passport over the Christmas holidays and it came 10 days after I mailed it! Others are reporting anywhere for 7-12 business days for the passport to be returned.

SORRY! just reread your post and I saw he turns 16 end of May. So I think your only option is renew the minor one now for 5 years OR go with the driver's license, assuming he'll have it by the time you cruise.

If you renew the minor's passport it can be used until it expires.

Could always do a last minute passport at a Passport Office. Costs a bit more and has to be done within two weeks of travel.

I would say that is personal choice based upon comfort level. For me, the deciding factor would be ports of call and choice of shore excursions. If I was going to San Juan, St Thomas, then really zero issue. Places like HMC, Grand Turk would be hard to miss the ship, which is really the only reason for the passport. But if I was going to Belize, planning on tendering and say going cave tubing, I might need the passport for peace of mind...:o