Itinerary from Galveston

Carlyzmom

Love Mahogany Bay, go to Little French Key. It is fabulous.

Belize is a tender port, so yuk. The first time we did a cave tube trip which was great. Second trip did ship tour to Starr Island. It was nice, expensive being a ship tour. If Belize wasn't a tender port I would like it more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have done Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica multiple times. How does this compare to Cozumel, Belize and Mahogany Bay? I'm up for something different, but I know the first route well. Opinions? Suggestions?

I prefer Belize and Roatan to Grand Cayman and Jamaica. Grand Cayman basically has 7 mile beach and the sting rays...nothing "new" to do once you have done those. And while Jamaica is beautiful and the people as whole are fantastic, I do not like the pushy anything for a $ mentality of some of the population that target the tourists.

Belize is a "water activity" port and offers a much wider variety of shore excursions from private beach breaks, to shark or reef snorkels to cave tubing but it also offers Mayan ruins and the zoo. It is not a port for those who do not wish to get out and see, explore and do as the port area is very small, there is no beach, and you are spending 20 minutes to tender there.

Roatan is our favorite port. This is a beautiful island that just begs to be seen. There is wonderful snorkeling and a nice beach at Tabayana. There are animal encounters from monkeys to iguanas to birds to sloths. There is zip lining. Gumbalimiba par and gardens. Again, someone could get off here, go to the Carnival sponsored shops, spend a day on their beach and miss out on so much.

Try this trip and get out and explore!

I prefer Belize and Roatan to Grand Cayman and Jamaica. Grand Cayman basically has 7 mile beach and the sting rays...nothing "new" to do once you have done those. And while Jamaica is beautiful and the people as whole are fantastic, I do not like the pushy anything for a $ mentality of some of the population that target the tourists.

Belize is a "water activity" port and offers a much wider variety of shore excursions from private beach breaks, to shark or reef snorkels to cave tubing but it also offers Mayan ruins and the zoo. It is not a port for those who do not wish to get out and see, explore and do as the port area is very small, there is no beach, and you are spending 20 minutes to tender there.

Roatan is our favorite port. This is a beautiful island that just begs to be seen. There is wonderful snorkeling and a nice beach at Tabayana. There are animal encounters from monkeys to iguanas to birds to sloths. There is zip lining. Gumbalimiba par and gardens. Again, someone could get off here, go to the Carnival sponsored shops, spend a day on their beach and miss out on so much.

Try this trip and get out and explore!

OK, you had me at birds! I want to see tropical birds. I'm a bird freak. LOL I would like to try new ports. Just the unknown is always scary.

We will be on the Breeze in 4 weeks. Have been to Cozumel many times and Belize a few times. Looking forward to Roatan for the first time.

Belize is my least favorite port. I detest the speed boats needed to get you to the port. Last time we decided to sign up for one of the country tours while in the port. It was supposed to be 2.5 hours for $30 tour of the country AND Rum Factory. We spent the first 30 minutes just driving 3 ladies to some private beach, then had to go pick them up again. The driver gave pretty much ZERO comments about anything we went past, or the city or country. We got all the way back to down town and I mentioned to the driver, "Oh is this where the Rum Factory is?". He said he didn't know we wanted to see the Rum Factory. Apparently he was just told to drive around for 2.5 hours, then bring us back.

There are a few shops, bars and restaurants in the port area, but not much to see beyond that. If you take a tour to the ruins, be sure to bring mosquito spray. They are awful out there.

Well.....you asked!

I love love love Belize and Roatan. Both are more rustic and less modern influences than places like Grand Cayman (our least favorite port).

It is all about what you want to do.

Belize has incredible Mayan ruins, jungle adventures like river tubing and ziplining, and incredible small islands and snorkeling.

Roatan has jungle and ziplining, incredible snorkeling, and beaches.

Both have great people and great food..... you just have to realize they are poor countries so you will see people selling things everywhere, it might be their only form of income.

Grand Cayman is a rich island, banking is their source, so lots of money and lots of modern facilities and the likes of KFC and McD's.

robin

Yep, I agree with some of the other posters. I would much rather take the Roatan & Belize route, than the Jamaica & Grand Cayman route! Love, love, love Roatan, and can't say that we've ever had a bad time in Belize either. Look up either Major Tom's Tours or Butts Up Cave Tubing in Belize...both will give you a great day! In Roatan we like sailing on a catamaran with Radical Adventures Catamaran....so.much.fun!!