Hawaii car rental

Ttec56

Any suggestions for car rentals in Hawaiian islands on POA cruise? Easy pick-up and drop and good price.

Try the Hawaii boards...they are chock full of information on things to do, places to go, what to see, when you are NOT on the ship....including lots and lots of car rental information.

Any suggestions for car rentals in Hawaiian islands on POA cruise? Easy pick-up and drop and good price.

The rental sites are generally at the airport on each island. About a 5 to 10 min ride from the pier, and you can catch the shuttles right at the ship. In Kona, there is a rental office in the King Kam hotel (Courtyard Marriott) within walking distance of the tender drop off. Otherwise it's the airport by shuttle. You can easily book each island through the Discount Hawaii Car Rental site ( except for the hotel site in Kona. Call them direct. ) No advance payment or penalties for cancellation with DHCR, making it easy to rebook if prices drop.

Try the Hawaii boards...they are chock full of information on things to do, places to go, what to see, when you are NOT on the ship....including lots and lots of car rental information.

Agreed. They also have recent passenger experiences with the agencies and where the best prices can be found.

I was pleasantly surprised at the suggestion to use Costco for car rentals, it worked out very well for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I am renting in Maui(dollar) and Budget in Kauai and I am told both have shuttles back and forth to the pie-POA cruise. I did call the airports to check on this information ,but there is still confusion about shuttles online.

Has anyone used Dollar and Budget? How did the shuttles work? I was told there is a big lot to park near both piers. Is this true? Would I be better using the airport shuttles back and forth to the pier? Trip coming soon. Thanks!

Make sure you reserve your rental prior to cruise at Maui - we did and everything went very smooth -- others did not and there were no rentals available for them !

Enjoy your Hawaiian cruise :)

I am going in May and have rented a car for Maui from Dollar rental. What were your favorite sites to see. I am into beaches. Thanks!

I am going in May and have rented a car for Maui from Dollar rental. What were your favorite sites to see. I am into beaches. Thanks!

I know you asked about Maui, but if you love beaches I highly recommend you go to Manini'owali Beach at Kua Bay when you stop at Kona. It was the clearest water I have ever swam in. Car rental was cheap and easy at the King Kam. I did all my car rentals through Discount Hawaii Car rental.

33352765483_c238d095f9_b.jpg

We used Thrifty & signed up for their Blue Chip Program-a great time saver when you got to rental-no lines- basically grab the keys & go. All major companies were around the same $$$ - found Hawaii rentals quite reasonable-enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're on the POA next week (April 29-May 6) and rented a car on almost every island. Definitely go to the Discount Hawaii car rental site that an earlier poster recommended. We booked through Costco, too. Most car rental agencies have shuttles that will pick you up at the port and take you to their locations (usually at the airport).

The only headache is renting in Maui. Search for "Maui car rental" and you'll get a lot of info about that being a pain in the rear to rent for both days because there is no overnight parking at the pier. Our Maui car rentals are:

Sunday - Alamo - shuttle takes us to and from the Kakului Airport

Monday - Enterprise - because we can pick it up at 7:00 a.m. Apparently, Enterprise is "across the street" from where we dock, so we walk there.

Cyndy

Great info! Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences.

So, what does everyone do for the overnight stays?

Do you rent a car twice?( like, return it and take the shuttle back to the ship, then repeat with a new reservation the next day? ) Or is there a place to park for the night for a two day rental? Thinking about Maui and Kawiiliwilli.

Thinking maybe it's easier to rent a car for one day and maybe do a ship excursion the next day?

Thoughts?

My mind reading act for the day.

For Kauai, we are renting a care for the first day only. On Day 2, we're doing a helicopter tour and they pick us up and drop us off at the pier. (Blue Hawaiian, if you're curious which helicopter tour).

Hope your plans are going well. It's hard to decide what to do where, and the find the right provider.

Cyndy

Firstin87

Great info! Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences.

So, what does everyone do for the overnight stays?

Do you rent a car twice?( like, return it and take the shuttle back to the ship, then repeat with a new reservation the next day? ) Or is there a place to park for the night for a two day rental? Thinking about Maui and Kawiiliwilli.

Thinking maybe it's easier to rent a car for one day and maybe do a ship excursion the next day?

Thoughts?

We rented day one in Maui-did the ships tour for sunrise over the volcano day 2. We were prepared to do the park by the ship but it wasn't necessary with our itinerary.

On Kauai rented first day - second day did Wings over Kauai - they picked us up.

[emoji41][emoji267]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums