Any Cruise Line Devoted To People Lung Problems

BrnBrok

I havnt heard of one either. I do know of people (including my son) who have cruised with significant health issues but they typically have a caregiver who knows how to deal with their issues that travels with them. We have cruised with TPN (IV nutrition) as well as tube feeds, oxygen, bipap/avaps (non-invasive ventilator), IV antibiotics and oxygen. I know of others who have traveled with a tracheostomy as well. Our only cruises so far have been on Disney and they did a marvelous job working with our needs, our cruise this summer will be on Princess.

I am confused as to what you mean by "support."

If you mean essentially a floating hospital ship, taking care of patients with complicated medical situations - I don't know of one.

If you mean a ship with staff who can care for and manage medical problems - ditto. (There is a story in another thread of a man who booked a suite cabin, expecting the butler to help him with his toileting and bathing needs. Supposedly the ship put him off at the first stop. They do have doctors and nurses aboard but they are primarily for illness and accidents, I don't think they will do routine care.)

If you mean a ship which will accommodate a person with medical issues who is can either manage his own care or is accompanied by a caregiver - all the mass market cruise lines will do that. They list common medical problems they can accommodate, such as service animals, oxygen/CPAP, peritoneal dialysis, or course wheelchairs and hearing issues, and a few more that I can't remember offhand. They all have Accessible Desks who can answer specific questions relevant to your friend's situation and needs. I use a wheelchair so I have dealt with them on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian, and found both informative and helpful.

If I still missed what you were asking, please clarify. If I don't know the answer, probably someone else will. (I'm an RN so I have a professional curiosity about available health care in any situation.) But frankly, I can't see how such a line, or even a single ship, devoted to a single type of illness, could be financially viable. The potential cruisers who could afford the cost of a cruise with the cost of medical/nursing care added in would be a tiny pool indeed.

Google "sea puffers", or put the two words together, and add a dot com. This is a group that cruises. Funny, my husband has been on many cruises w/heavy levels of O2, and we haven't heard of this travel group before! Thanks for the Question, gave me an opportunity to search!

There are no cruise lines that provide services and or support for any medical conditions. All cruise lines have a "Fit to Travel Clause" in its cruise passenger contract that in summary states :

Passengers must ensure that they are medically and physically fit for travel. Cruise personnel are not required nor allowed to perform personal tasks (e.g. assisting with eating, dressing, toileting or lifting) which includes anything related to the daily use of oxygen, If the passenger is usable to assist themselves they must be accompanied by someone that can perform these functions.

In addition to what the cruise contract states the cruise line will not provide, make arrangements and or provide support services for any medical equipment including oxygen that the passenger requires for the duration of the cruise . All such items and supplies must be pre-arranged by the passenger through the cruise lines pre-approved provider of such items and the cost is the responsibility of the passenger. Private health insurance may or may not assist in the cost of oxygen for a cruise. Medicare, Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage plans will not cover the cost of these items when cruising.

The cruise line will only provide wheelchair assistance on embarkation day and disembarkation day. If a wheelchair is required for your comfort during the cruise as well as in port than you either have to bring one or rent one through the cruise lines pre-approved vendor.

If you join Sea Puffers , which is a group of people with pulmonary issues that like to travel together, and book one it's pre-planned cruises, they will assist you in making all arrangements. Additionally the group travels with a Respiratory Therapist as well as back up equipment in case something goes wrong. However they generally only do one or 2 group cruises a year . If not wanting to book one of it's preplanned cruise you can book a separate cruise through Sea Puffers and one of its Respiratory Therapists will help you in ordering all the supplies and equipment necessary but you or the person traveling with you will be your only support.

Edited by xxoocruiser