Kids ordering off adult menu?

sweetmelissa

We love the fact that on cruises that our kids can order from the adult menu. Our youngest hasn't ever ordered off the kid menu, and we've been cruising with her since she was three! We've had a few shocked faces from waiters. Our eldest fell in love with seafood at 8 and lives for lobster night. At home they have to stick to the kids menu though. They eat real food, but not enough of it to justify the price tag in 'regular' restaurants lol

I do not remember ever seeing a menu on Carnival ships that was title "Adult Menu". There is a Menu that does not even have the word Menu on it, and then there is a Kid,s Menu. Why would someone even ask this question?

Because some restaurants make kids order off a kids menu. It's not a dumb question at all. Why would you even ask THIS question?

Slightly off topic but one of the great joys we had was dinner when we started cruising as a family when our kids were maybe 14 and 12. They absolutely loved the 'fine dining' aspect to the MDR and wanted to dress up just a little every night. They both had the soda card back then and my daughter took a liking to having pineapple juice at dinner. She thought it so special that the moment she sat down our server would bring it to her every night. They both enjoyed the wonderful variety on the adult menu each evening.

One night, we told our head waiter (with a nice cash tip) that my wife and I would be dining the next night in the steakhouse and that the kids would be coming to the MDR alone. And while they were certainly old enough to carry themselves appropriately in that venue by themselves, they had probably never been to 'fine dining' without an adult present before in their lives. We learned afterwards that they had been treated like kings and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I think it's easy to forget that kids that age can really appreciate being 'grown up' for awhile.

Nice post.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because some restaurants make kids order off a kids menu. It's not a dumb question at all. Why would you even ask THIS question?

I don't know any restaurant who would make a kid order off the kids menu.

However, there are not many restaurants that allow adults to order off the kids menu.

That said, my granddaughter's favorite food is shrimp. That's from ordering it off the adult menu on our last cruise.

My granddaughter started ordering off the regular menu at six because she cannot stand french fries, hot dogs and chicken fingers. She orders prime rib every time it is on the menu and had steak or a pork chop all the other nights. You may have to ask for the regular menu instead of the kids menu so the kids can read the menu and make their choices while you are making your choices. Many times the waiter would go get a kid's menu thinking they forgot to give us one only to be told it is okay she is ordering from the regular menu.

If you are on a ship with a steakhouse, spend the money and take him there - especially if he can handle lots of food. We took our 12 and 18 year old sons at Christmas because we felt our youngest was finally getting to the point he would appreciate it. And did he! He actually used the kids menu - he still can't eat a ton of food and had a huge shrimp cocktail, a 4 oz filet, sides and a banana split. The 18 year old tried the ahi tuna, a huge steak, loved the wasabi mashed potatoes and the chocolate dessert sample. Thought it was a fantastic meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My granddaughter started ordering off the regular menu at six because she cannot stand french fries, hot dogs and chicken fingers. She orders prime rib every time it is on the menu and had steak or a pork chop all the other nights. You may have to ask for the regular menu instead of the kids menu so the kids can read the menu and make their choices while you are making your choices. Many times the waiter would go get a kid's menu thinking they forgot to give us one only to be told it is okay she is ordering from the regular menu.

Wow a kid who doesnt like hot dogs, fries and chicken fingers. Who would have thought.:)

Good for her that she can get what she likes.

Hi all,

We are sailing in 3 weeks with our 9 year old. He has a pretty sophisticated palate for a kid. He likes all kinds of fish and seafood. Can't stand PB&J, etc. Will he be allowed to order off the adult menu? If he is faced with chicken nuggets and pizza the entire week he will not be very happy.

Thank you!

Of course. My oldest was 4 when we took her on her first cruise. We ordered something for her off the adult menu and something off the kids menu at every meal. By the end of the week we stopped ordering of the kiddie menu.

We will be bringing 10 kids 9-19 in Dec. the oldest boy was 16 on the last cruise and he ate 3 adult full dinners at 1 setting. The younger ones always ordered shrimp appetizers and an adult meal. They had a BLAST!!

Forums

I remember when I used to be able to do that. Those were the days.