Pre-Cruise Land Trip Help

prim8keeper

Hi Everyone! My DH and I are currently in the process of planning our first trip/cruise to Alaska for late July 2018. Prior to the cruise we have decided to do a mini land trip. We have already decided that we are going to go back Alaska again and just do a land trip later on since there is just so much to see and do. I also really want to go to Denali and I want to do it right versus being rushed. We are both in our early 30's and travel frequently so I also suspect this will not be our last Alaska cruise either. Currently we are having trouble deciding between two land trips I planned (narrowed down from 5!) so I thought I would come to the experts to get some thoughts and advice. We are sailing on the Celebrity Millennium from Seward to Vancouver which visits the Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Ice Strait Point, Ketchikan and ends cruising the Inside Passage. On the first option I'm also including what we plan to do on the cruise just in case it is useful in terms of thoughts on what we should do prior to the cruise. At the end of the cruise we also plan to spend the weekend in Vancouver prior to flying back to Atlanta.

Option A

Day 1: Fly into Anchorage/Overnight in Anchorage at the Anchorage Marriott

Day 2: Lake Clark National Park Bear View Tour or Bears of Katmai National Forest via Planet Earth Adventure/Overnight in Anchorage at the Anchorage Marriott

Day 3: Anchorage to Girdwood via the Coastal Classic/Alpine Hike via Ascending Path Alaska/Dinner at Seven Glaciers Restaurant/Overnight in Alyeska at Hotel Alyeska

Day 4: Girdwood to Seward via the Coastal Classic/Gray Whale Watch via Kenai Fjords Tours/Explore Steward/Board Celebrity Millennium

Day 5: Hubbard Glacier (cruising)

Day 6: Juneau/Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter and Guided Walk (will upgrade to the extended trek on the glacier if they offer it since we have to book through X)/Exploring Juneau/Evening Whale Quest

Day 7: Skagway/Emerald Lake Tour via Dyea Dave, return from Fraser via the White Pass Scenic Railway/Explore Skagway

Day 8: Icy Strait Point/Whales, Wildlife and Brown Bear Search/Explore Icy Strait Point

Day 9: Ketchikan/Misty Fjords & Glacier Combination Tour via Island Wings Air Service/Explore Ketchikan

Day 10: Inside Passage (cruising)

Day 11: Vancouver, British Columbia

Day 12: Vancouver, British Columbia

Day 13: Fly from Vancouver back to Atlanta

The pro's to option A is that it would allow us to focus our land trip on Anchorage up to Fairbanks, etc. We think doing this we would hit a lot of the highlights between Anchorage and Seward. Then on subsequent cruises we could plan to spend more time in Seward. I've seen many threads about how much people love Seward. However, based on our interest we are struggling to see that at the moment and because of our limited time unless we go directly from Anchorage to Seward I don't see how it buys us any substantial amount of additional time to do a lot more.

Option B

Day 1: Fly into Fairbanks/Overnight in Fairbanks at the Best Western Pioneer Park Inn

Day 2: Fairbanks to Anchorage via the Denali Star/Overnight in Anchorage at the Anchorage Marriott

Day 3: Anchorage to Girdwood via the Coastal Classic/Alpine Hike via Ascending Path Alaska/Dinner at Seven Glaciers Restaurant/Overnight in Alyeska at Hotel Alyeska

Day 4: Girdwood to Seward via the Alaska Railroad/Gray Whale Watch via Kenai Fjords Tours/Explore Steward/Board Celebrity Millennium

My DH is very interested in the train so option B has the advantage that we would basically ride almost everything you can from Fairbanks to Seward on this trip. It would also make the overall land potion a little more relaxing since we already know we are going to be doing a lot on the cruise. Then on our future land trip we could just rent a car since I've read on these boards that having a car makes doing Denali, Talkeetna, etc. easier. However, I am nervous about spending 12 hours on a train. I also know that on our land trip we could always rent a car and drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks stopping along the way and then take the train back down to Anchorage direct or vice versa. Yes, it would cost more, but it would allow us both to do what we want to do and it would break up the trains for me.

I guess one final thing we have in the mix is the pre-cruise land trip we currently have booked through X. It is the same number of days and has an overnight in Anchorage, Denali and Talkeetna. Our concern with the X land trip is the three bus transfers (I tend to just fall asleep!) and just the general potential downsides that come with booking a tour like that. However, we also think it is a nice mix in terms of our actual interest, but looking down the road we feel like it wouldn't allow us to cross anything off our list for our future land trip since you don't really have enough time to do anything properly, especially Denali since you only do the 4 hour Denali Natural History Tour. I really want to do the one that last 12 hours and runs the length of the road! I could see how this could make sense if we thought we may not return to Alaska, but we like adventure so I don't see that happening. We also have a Galapagos trip booked and I'm hoping this shows my DH how much fun these kinds of trips can be. Generally for cruising we have stuck to the Caribbean and go mostly to relax on the ship vs the ports. At any rate I would love to hear suggestions on the two options, or any other thoughts you may have! :)

With your interest in bear viewing. option 1 seems like the best choice. But consider an overnight trip to Lake Clark instead since it provides so much more viewing time. There are a couple of lodges there .... Silver Salmon Creek comes to mind. You'd have to give up the glacier trek in Girdwood, but you have one scheduled for Juneau. The bear search at Icy Strait is just that .... a search. Maybe do your whale watching at Icy Strait instead.

This trip report focused on bears, including an overnight at Lake Clark.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233259

With your interest in bear viewing. option 1 seems like the best choice. But consider an overnight trip to Lake Clark instead since it provides so much more viewing time. There are a couple of lodges there .... Silver Salmon Creek comes to mind. You'd have to give up the glacier trek in Girdwood, but you have one scheduled for Juneau. The bear search at Icy Strait is just that .... a search. Maybe do your whale watching at Icy Strait instead.

This trip report focused on bears, including an overnight at Lake Clark.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233259

Wow! Thanks for this information. I didn't realize you could stay out there. This may be something to add to our land trip so we could stay a few nights. I spent several years working in zoos hence why seeing wildlife is one of my interest.

When are you planning this trip? For Katami and salmon you need mid July for peak. I don't go for less than 2 nights. There are no grey whale watches during the cruise season out of Seward. Those are in April.

Your option B, is way underestimating time and distances. Are you only interested is looking out a window on the move? You will not see much with that travel style.

You realize that you are paying $160 more per couple stopping in Girdwood?

Why the post about having to book through Celebrity with the helicopter glacier treck? You are doing other touring independent?

You've got over a year. Keep working on the plan, there is a lot more for you to find out before a final.

When are you planning this trip? For Katami and salmon you need mid July for peak. I don't go for less than 2 nights. There are no grey whale watches during the cruise season out of Seward. Those are in April.

Your option B, is way underestimating time and distances. Are you only interested is looking out a window on the move? You will not see much with that travel style.

You realize that you are paying $160 more per couple stopping in Girdwood?

Why the post about having to book through Celebrity with the helicopter glacier treck? You are doing other touring independent?

You've got over a year. Keep working on the plan, there is a lot more for you to find out before a final.

We are are going the fourth week of July, so less than a week after mid July. We will probably add any overnights at Katami to a future trip since this time around I don't really think we have the time without that being the only thing we could do. Hence why I was exploring just a day trip out of Anchorage.

You are correct, I mistyped, its a different tour, Resurrection Bay.

I'm not sure why you think I am under estimating the time for Plan B since I looked at the train schedules, etc. For that trip we would just ride the train straight from Fairbanks to Anchorage and not get off. We realize we would only see scenery, but my DH is more interested in just riding the train/the overall experience.

We realize we are paying more to stop in Girdwood, but the train cost is honestly the least of my concerns given the cost of the resort! However, its something my DH is interested in and it seems as though it could be a lovely relaxing way to start the vacation.

Yes, we are doing other touring independently, but when I looked at outside tours for that particular excursion all of them said on their sites that we had to book through X. X is also running a program where if you book future excursions on board you can save 10%. For Alaska that can be a significant amount.

I understand we have over a year, but I am trying to flesh out somewhat of a plan so I can get an estimate for the overall cost of the trip. Since we both still work often we have to adjust our trips so that they ultimately make sense for the time off we are taking (ie if it is too little) vs the overall cost and if it makes sense to wait to do something as a result.

I book my flights, always, independent. I would suggest you might want to compare prices.

Hopefully you know about the Resurrection Bay route and it's limits with your selection. There is not good glacier viewing, only Bear off in the distance. If at all an option, I'd suggest you consider driving to Girdwood. It's only an hour from Anchorage, and easy to go back and forth. I find a lot more is available with a car. You may want to include some of the area highlights, Whittier, Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Alaska Wildlife Conservatory, Crow Creek Mine, enjoying the Arm, Potter's Marsh, Hope, etc etc etc. If you haven't heard of these, perhaps, take a look.

2nd that on the driving to Girdwood. Gives a much better chance of being able to pull off and watch Dall Sheep on the rocks above the road at Windy Point. Seen them every time I've driven past there. Also possible to spot Mountain Goat. Seven Glaciers restaurant has never disappointed us but it has been a while since we visited. The view (when clear) is stunning.

I book my flights, always, independent. I would suggest you might want to compare prices.

Hopefully you know about the Resurrection Bay route and it's limits with your selection. There is not good glacier viewing, only Bear off in the distance. If at all an option, I'd suggest you consider driving to Girdwood. It's only an hour from Anchorage, and easy to go back and forth. I find a lot more is available with a car. You may want to include some of the area highlights, Whittier, Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Alaska Wildlife Conservatory, Crow Creek Mine, enjoying the Arm, Potter's Marsh, Hope, etc etc etc. If you haven't heard of these, perhaps, take a look.

I agree that the Resurrection Bay route does seem more limited, but I was mostly looking for something to do that would still do some sight seeing the day we embark. With the train not arriving until a little after 11 am obviously we are somewhat limited.

Is it worth visiting the Alaska Wildlife Conservatory? I worked in the animal field for 10 years (zoos and research), so while I like seeing animals in their natural habitat some the excitement of seeing animals in captivity has worn off since I've worked directly so many. The first black bear I worked with at the start of my career was named Juneau because he was an abandoned cub that was found near Juneau that was brought to our zoo. :)

2nd that on the driving to Girdwood. Gives a much better chance of being able to pull off and watch Dall Sheep on the rocks above the road at Windy Point. Seen them every time I've driven past there. Also possible to spot Mountain Goat. Seven Glaciers restaurant has never disappointed us but it has been a while since we visited. The view (when clear) is stunning.

I'll have to look into the car. Originally I was trying to avoid a rental since if we were flying off to Katami I didn't see the value in having a car for essentially one day. However, if we don't do that maybe a car is the way to go for the first two days before just taking the train directly from Anchorage to Seward the day we embark.