Upgrade question on the Magic

crunchymomma

We are booked on the Magic In March in an inside Spa room. I've been watching for price changes and there are no more inside spa rooms but like 25 spa balcony rooms. That number hasn't really changed in the past three weeks. I'm gold VIFP and have never been offered an upgrade. What are the chances they will offer one? I don't mind paying a little extra but not $700 for a balcony. Any insight from my fellow cruise junkies?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never seen a $700 increase from inside to balcony, not even on CCL's website, unless you are talking about a suite. On an average for a 7 day cruise, $500 for an inside cabin and about $800-$900 for a balcony. I'm Platinum and have never been offered an upgrade, ever.

We are booked on the Magic In March in an inside Spa room. I've been watching for price changes and there are no more inside spa rooms but like 25 spa balcony rooms. That number hasn't really changed in the past three weeks. I'm gold VIFP and have never been offered an upgrade. What are the chances they will offer one? I don't mind paying a little extra but not $700 for a balcony. Any insight from my fellow cruise junkies?

When you figure out the magic formula, let me know. I made platinum with Carnival in just over 4 years. Additionally I have paid for multiple staterooms for family. I point this out only because it emphasizes I am a loyal Carnival cruiser. I have never been called regarding an upsell or upgrade.

The elusive upgrade fairy has a complicated formula of supply and demand.

I have never seen a $700 increase from inside to balcony, not even on CCL's website, unless you are talking about a suite. On an average for a 7 day cruise, $500 for an inside cabin and about $800-$900 for a balcony. I'm Platinum and have never been offered an upgrade, ever.

Have to confirm OP's figures, we too have an inside spa room on Magic for November and also considered moving to a balcony. The difference would be $720 total for two people. Not sure if it is because it is a spa room and they are more limited but the price difference is substantial for us. We've had balconies plenty of times before as well as inside rooms and it depends on the itinerary for us. I wouldn't mind upgrading if it were a little discounted ;) Ironically there are also a lot of spa balconies available on our cruise too, must be that high price tag :rolleyes:

I've paid for upgrades, some of which were at a minimal price ($30-$60 to go from IS to BL), but never received a call for one, or free one. Currently going from a regular BL to a Spa BL on our Magic 26th cruise is $1,200 for two people. We're just going to get the weekly spa pass, unless the price drops drastically.

Last year I called to see a price for upgrading from an anterior to a balcony, and was quoted a an upgrade price of $1000. About a week or so later I got a phone call from Carnival offering me an upgrade for $250, which I jumped on! I'd like to think that my phone call played a part in snagging that upgrade deal, but one never knows