Power Strips

Specially_K

It would depend on the cord and the appliances. While I don't like the flat "lamp cord" type extension cords, they are way more handy than the heavy duty round "outdoor" or "workshop" cords. Check the cord's label and see what amperage it can carry, the lamp cord type are usually rated 15 amps. Then look at your hair dryer and curling iron. What wattage do they list? (most won't list amperage, but some do). 15 amps at 110v equals 1800 watts. If your hair dryer is listed as that many watts or less, then you will be fine, but go too much higher and you risk overheating the cord. If you are planning on plugging both in at the same time, add the wattage of both units and compare to the cord's capacity. This really applies to all extension cords, at home or while travelling.

Also, as I mentioned before, if a couple of cabins are running high wattage appliances at the same time, it may trip the breaker that feeds those cabins.

Now, just to confuse things a bit more, if your hair dryer and curling iron say on the label "100-240vac", then you can plug these into the 220v outlet with an adapter. Using 220v input voltage cuts the amperage in half for the same wattage, so you could plug 3300 watts of hair appliances into the extension cord and still draw only 15 amps. It will also help to prevent tripping of the circuit breaker.

Thank you Cheng and Trip...I appreciate your expertise :-)

I thought Norwegian cabins have an electric hair dryer in the bathrooms. No hair curler though.

As for electric extension cords, i did ask for and got one from my cabin steward on my last cruise on the Gem.

Hair dryers are in front of the mirror in the living quarters.

The outlet labeled "shaver only" is current (as opposed to "lower voltage) limited.

Brilliant! Thanks for the info. I think I'll do the same and take a European adapter - but leave the hairdryer at home, or at least get a small, less powerful one!

I take one US adapter and one EU adapter (I always forget which one works best so take both) -and I plug in a UK four strip extension cable. I use this for charging everything.

Hair dryers - I own a USA dryer but when cruising Norwegian, don't need it -the hairdryers which are located below the mirror in the cabin vanity table area - are "salon style" and excellent. They are not the "hoover hose style" .. But if your ship doesn't have this - (I'm not sure what's on your ship but even Jade which was an old ship had the good hairdryers) - then you will find loads of travel dryers like Babyliss which is 110/220V and yet 2000 watts of power - Its the foldable one - amazon around £12. Just search Babyliss travel dryer 2000

I also take Cloud travel straighteners, again they work with 110v. I plug those into the 4 strip. I also plug in our ipod and speakers - all work on there no problem.

All of our other appliances charged no problem on the 4 strip.

While there are no posted restriction, they should be non-surge protected power strips. Keep all of the phones and cameras charges!

A power strip and a surge protector are not the same thing. The OP asked about power strips. They are allowed without reservation. Surge protectors are not allowed, no matter how big they are or whether or not they are connected to a long cord or have multiple outlets.

They are not the "hoover hose style" .. But if your ship doesn't have this - (I'm not sure what's on your ship but even Jade which was an old ship had the good hairdryers) - then you will find loads of travel dryers like Babyliss which is 110/220V and yet 2000 watts of power - Its the foldable one - amazon around £12. Just search Babyliss travel dryer 2000

FYI...I'm pretty sure the Norwegian Sun still has the old "hoover hose style".