Majesty of The Seas - Faulty Life Jackets, Stuck in Port

Lurch104

OP- please keep us posted and keep up your GREAT attitude. I imagine your fellow passengers are not as calm as you are!

Bov voyage, eventually.

M

Will do my best! I really feel for the hospitality crew. The bartenders are being worked to the bone and I am not seeing many tips on the table. Not their fault but they are losing a night of revenue. They so far are keeping a great attitude.

I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation and I'll give RCI the chance to make things right. Just saw we made the Orlando news.... someone in Miami is not going to be pleased about this.

Will do my best! I really feel for the hospitality crew. The bartenders are being worked to the bone and I am not seeing many tips on the table. Not their fault but they are losing a night of revenue. They so far are keeping a great attitude.

I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation and I'll give RCI the chance to make things right. Just saw we made the Orlando news.... someone in Miami is not going to be pleased about this.

Someone in Miami is probably to blame.

That really sucks - I feel really bad for everyone aboard. And I applaud everyone who is keeping a great attitude!

I imagine it's in RCL's best interest to get the ship back up and running as soon as possible. (And it's in MY best interest - as we board Majesty on FRIDAY!!)

I just did that 4-night cruise last week...it was a phenomenal cruise. Captain Matthias and Cruise Director Moe were first-rate... I'm sure Royal will make things right, they always do, because they want people to have a good experience. Some things are what they are... I agree, they should have caught this sooner, but nobody is perfect.

Interesting that this ship undergoes this inspection twice a week, every week, but fails today. I wonder what is going on??

The Coast Guard does not inspect this ship twice a week, every week. The Coast Guard does safety inspections randomly. In this case they decided to do one today and found an issue with the life vests being past their useful service life date and some were in poor material condition. Until the life vests are replaced the ship cannot sail.

This is a top-down problem caused by corporate greed and cost-cutting which is now proven to affect SOLAS with Royal Caribbean. I'd bet a weeks pay that this is not an isolated situation with only this one ship in the fleet. Would you really sail with a cruise line that chooses profits over your life?

The Coast Guard does not inspect this ship twice a week, every week. The Coast Guard does safety inspections randomly. In this case they decided to do one today and found an issue with the life vests being past their useful service life date and some were in poor material condition. Until the life vests are replaced the ship cannot sail.

Where did you get this info for the reason of failing the CG inspection? This hasn't been reported locally yet.

I just did that 4-night cruise last week...it was a phenomenal cruise. Captain Matthias and Cruise Director Moe were first-rate... I'm sure Royal will make things right, they always do, because they want people to have a good experience. Some things are what they are... I agree, they should have caught this sooner, but nobody is perfect.

What? I am.........:D

Where did you get this info for the reason of failing the CG inspection? This hasn't been reported locally yet.

It was on the Orlando news last night. It was posted on different social media yesterday too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Latest update

They have been loading life jackets since 4am. Shuttle is up and running to coco beach today; hope to depart late this afternoon. Guests to be on board by noon at this time.

RCI is giving a refundable OBC of 25% of your cruise fare. Also, a certificate for 25% of current cruise fare discount on a future cruise. Hopefully this can be applied to current bookings as I already booked my next cruise onboard. :-)

All is all, this is about as generous as I could expect and a fair resolution. I am still an RCI fan.

I have spent 13 nights on board Majesty over the past month. From the service, to the food, and entertainment - EVERYTHING was outstanding! I was actually shocked how perfect everything was for a much older ship.

The Majesty has one of the best Hotel Director's in the fleet, John Denton. He hand selects his staff, and it's by far the best I've ever seen.

They will get her back up and running today.

Latest update

They have been loading life jackets since 4am. Shuttle is up and running to coco beach today; hope to depart late this afternoon. Guests to be on board by noon at this time.

RCI is giving a refundable OBC of 25% of your cruise fare. Also, a certificate for 25% of current cruise fare discount on a future cruise. Hopefully this can be applied to current bookings as I already booked my next cruise onboard. :-)

All is all, this is about as generous as I could expect and a fair resolution. I am still an RCI fan.

So - was it that there weren't enough life vests or that the ones on board were faulty? (Or do we even know?)

Not that it matters - it needs to be fixed. Just wondering.

So - was it that there weren't enough life vests or that the ones on board were faulty? (Or do we even know?)

The ones Majesty had were "out of date" I'm assuming the Coast Guard updates the requirements to the jackets, and Majesty didn't have them.

It was on the Orlando news last night. It was posted on different social media yesterday too.

I am talking about the specific service life. I understand issues with life jackets but other than that, no creditable source for the specifics of the failure (aka service life). You may have a source but I have not yet seen one.

The "NEWS", if you call it that still, only reported issues with life jackets and not the specifics of the failure. Maybe other services had more specifics.

The life jackets on the decks were dry rotted and falling apart. This is something so basic that should be a part of a scheduled ongoing replacement cycle. It's preventive maintenance 101. If they are overlooking or cutting costs on something so inexpensive and basic as life jackets, what else are they cutting costs on? Scary to think about actually.

I am talking about the specific service life. I understand issues with life jackets but other than that, no creditable source for the specifics of the failure (aka service life). You may have a source but I have not yet seen one.

The "NEWS", if you call it that still, only reported issues with life jackets and not the specifics of the failure. Maybe other services had more specifics.

As life vests are a life safety device they have an expiration of service life date. The Majesty's vests were past that date and as reported by passengers onboard some were in poor material condition. Either of those factors would cause the USCG to fail the ship and restrict it to port until the deficiency is corrected.

Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas was kept in port through Tuesday morning, after U.S. Coast Guard inspectors forced the ship to remain in port until an issue with the life vests was resolved. From the USCG......spokesman from the U.S. Coast Guard cited the delay stems from the ship's older life jackets, "generally speaking, problems with older life jackets can include fraying straps that could break when a person was in the water or disintegrating foam that will not float in the water."

As life vests are a life safety device they have an expiration of service life date. The Majesty's vests were past that date and as reported by passengers onboard some were in poor material condition. Either of those factors would cause the USCG to fail the ship and restrict it to port until the deficiency is corrected.

I don't disagree with you. I just haven't seen any reporting other than social media that was specific with the failure. The above post said rotting jackets on deck, not service life. Nice to have specific facts. Every news paper article or TV news source that we have watched only said issues with Life Jackets. Don't think Social Media is a perfect source for credible information. Not sure any "NEWS" channel is anymore, mostly their opinion and commentary, not fact reporting.

I have spent 13 nights on board Majesty over the past month. From the service, to the food, and entertainment - EVERYTHING was outstanding! I was actually shocked how perfect everything was for a much older ship.

The Majesty has one of the best Hotel Director's in the fleet, John Denton. He hand selects his staff, and it's by far the best I've ever seen.

They will get her back up and running today.

It's a pity the HD staff isn't in charge of the safety equipment.

Latest update

Enjoy Cocoa Beach. It's a lovely place.