Pearl in Freeport Drydock ?

newbie68

There have been numerous threads discussing the refurbishing, although mostly speculation on what will go and what will replace it. There are a couple of people, I think, taking cruises on it right after it comes out of dry dock and they have promised pictures ;)

I was on the last cruise before dry dock. It ran from Feb. 6 to 13. The captain and two senior officers were taking questions from passengers one morning in the Spinnaker lounge. They told us that the staterooms were going to be refurbished, a new hd big screen was going in the Crystal Atrium, and O'Sheenans was getting a major makeover to bring it in line with the venue on other NCL ships. On disembarkation morning I saw crew ripping up the carpet in the main dining room. All wooden exterior handrails are being replaced. A worker was taking down the handrail from the balcony stateroom next to ours an hour before we left the ship. I saw several lifts of plywood being loaded aboard by crane. Other than that, I don't know much more. This was our very first cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed it. NCL is a perfect fit for us. We aren't fancy people and neither are they.

I was on the last cruise before dry dock. It ran from Feb. 6 to 13. The captain and two senior officers were taking questions from passengers one morning in the Spinnaker lounge. They told us that the staterooms were going to be refurbished, a new hd big screen was going in the Crystal Atrium, and O'Sheenans was getting a major makeover to bring it in line with the venue on other NCL ships. On disembarkation morning I saw crew ripping up the carpet in the main dining room. All wooden exterior handrails are being replaced. A worker was taking down the handrail from the balcony stateroom next to ours an hour before we left the ship. I saw several lifts of plywood being loaded aboard by crane. Other than that, I don't know much more. This was our very first cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed it. NCL is a perfect fit for us. We aren't fancy people and neither are they.

Thanks for the info. We've been on the Pearl several time and will again in April. The Jewel class ships are perfect for us and we've always loved the Pearl. Glad you enjoyed her too.

We were on that cruise too. Crew were covering wood rails at Great Outdoors a couple of days before we got off. The room tv's were 1st generation digitals and tiny--so they stuck out as needing replacement.

It was our first cruise, so we didn't have anything else to compare it to. Having said that I had very few complaints and I thought it went very well. Friendly crew and a good group of passengers. I was very impressed with the cleanliness. One thing to note is that I don't believe the bartenders get automatic gratuities. I didn't understand that until after the cruise. We had the beverage package and I was just handing them my card and not tipping. Other than that, my biggest complaint is Ochos Rios. I would never set foot in that port again until the vendors learn to act civilized. That was the worst tourist trap I ever encountered.