Suggestion for stay in Miami

mrsd2fan

After looking at the prices for hotels, I decided to check out Airbnb, found a really cool apt. for 4 of us (3 bedrooms because one the people snores LOUDLY) about 15 minutes from port,...$244 total for the night....not bad!!

After looking at the prices for hotels, I decided to check out Airbnb, found a really cool apt. for 4 of us (3 bedrooms because one the people snores LOUDLY) about 15 minutes from port,...$244 total for the night....not bad!!

Do not use AirBnB in Miami. They are constantly on the local news for scamming people out of money.

We'd booked, almost a year in advance, a penthouse condo in Brickell, staying 10 nights prior to our sailing next month. In late January, less than 60 days before our travel dates, our reservation was cancelled due to this particular condo's board deciding that rentals would now be limited to no less than 30 days.

We scrambled to find another well-placed apartment or condo, and did a ton of research over the following couple of days. We finally decided to change our airline reservations, cut our pre-cruise time to 5 nights, and stay in a Brickell hotel.

I report my (expensive) tale of woe, not because your situation is like ours, but simply to caution others ... indications from the condo/apartment owners we'd been working with tell us that Airbnb issues in Miami have forced these stricter regulations at many private multi-unit dwellings, with likely more to come.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wynwood can be very hit and miss. Hopefully by Wynwood its more in the Midtown-Miami development then actually in Wynwood.

Agree. That is why people not familiar with the South Florida area should get suggestions from locals prior to booking such an accommodation, especially one that is non-refundable. Hopefully this particular AirBnB is on the east side of N Miami Ave and closer to Midtown.

Agree. That is why people not familiar with the South Florida area should get suggestions from locals prior to booking such an accommodation, especially one that is non-refundable. Hopefully this particular AirBnB is on the east side of N Miami Ave and closer to Midtown.

I went on BnB and saw the "Wynwood" options, a lot of them are actually in Midtown Miami development, which is odd, I would think short term rentals are not allowed in those condos. Anyway, they call them Wynwood to get more people to book. Hopefully that is where the OP is staying, because if not, the other options are in Wynwood, and while the homes/apartments look nice, there are not many blocks in Wynwood I would feel safe walking around at night, unless its a busy event going on.

To the OP and others who read this thread, the big issue with AirBnB in Miami is many of the condos that you are renting do not allow short term rentals. The owners try to sneak people in illegally. Happened in my building for some time and they cracked down on it. Tourist were stuck with no place to go as the building refused these people entry. Smaller apartments are less strict, but large condos with pools, views etc.. very rarely allow AirBnB type rentals. Also, Miami is a very easy hit and miss city, just two or three blocks can be the difference between busy and safe to, you won't want to walk there at night.