New to NCL Breakaway

Lisi024

You have all been wonderful with your tips and advise for a newbie to NCL that I thought I could ask a few questions of my own. If you can help, I would certainly appreciate it....

1. Hair Dryer....I do know that they provide you with a hair dryer but I have very difficult hair and always bring my own which is 1875 watts....would anyway know what the max wattage would be that you could use on the ship?

2. Gatorland Zipline excursion in Florida.....I am thinking about booking it for my family however I have a 9 yr old that may change his mind once he sees it....Would I be able to get my money back? Or can I book it when I get there instead of going through NCL?

3. The White Hot party.....is this for adults only?

4. Anybody with boys age 9 or 13 traveling out of NYC April 2nd on the Breakway?

Thanks for any help with these questions....:)

You don't need to bring your own hair dryer. We never book excursions through the ship. I believe the party is for everyone.
Hmm....I think she wanted to know if she could bring her own....she does not want to use the one supplied. I may bring my own too because the one on the ship is not in the bathroom where you would think it would be.....it's on the vanity near the TV from what I heard. How stupid is that?

Hmm....I think she wanted to know if she could bring her own....she does not want to use the one supplied. I may bring my own too because the one on the ship is not in the bathroom where you would think it would be.....it's on the vanity near the TV from what I heard. How stupid is that?

It's on the vanity, where one would do hair and make up, no? Isn't that why they call it a vanity?

To each their own, but when I travel with another person I appreciate it being where it is, as a second person can be showering while the first does their hair.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

OP, I can't help with any of your west ions definitively, but I highly suggest you check out the Roll Calls to see if anyone is sailing with kids on your particular sailing. You can find them specifically for each ship's sailing.

It's on the vanity, where one would do hair and make up, no? Isn't that why they call it a vanity?

To each their own, but when I travel with another person I appreciate it being where it is, as a second person can be showering while the first does their hair.

Yes I know what a vanity is for. :rolleyes: Not everyone likes using a vanity. Especially if there is no mirror. The mirror in the balcony cabins on the Breakaway are up high...cannot use it sitting down...which is why I said it was stupid. It does no good for putting makeup on either. It seems to be more for using the phone and the coffee maker. I don't dry my hair at a vanity at home so I am one that prefers it in the bathroom using the mirror. That being said, the OP likes using her own hair dryer which is why she asked the question.

I just got off the Breakaway on Sunday and can answer your hair dryer questions. I too brought my own and it is 1875 watts. I honestly can't remember if there were any outlets in the bathroom, I plugged mine in at the vanity. So you can get away with using your hair dryer at the vanity IF you have the tv and vanity light off and only have it on for a few minutes at a time. Otherwise you blow the fuse... not that I did that twice or anything. I would dry my hair as the last step to getting ready and I also towel-dried it. Then I would use the hairdryer in 1-2 minute increments til it was dry. Probably sounds like extra work to most people but I too love my hair dryer. When I did blow the fuse I just told them the fuse blew while using the hair dryer, didn't specify that it was my own. No questions asked and they sent someone up to fix it.

Seemed like an easy fix although the first time we had to call twice and it took a while for someone to get to it. Once they got to it it was fixed in a matter of minutes. The first blown fuse was from having the TV and light on at the same time. The second was when I got a little cocky at the end of the cruise and thought I would just keep going since everything else was off... yeah that didn't work out so well. Since they didn't even question it I'm guessing it's something that happens often enough. I've always brought my own hair dryer and this is the first time I ever blew a fuse.. well if you don't count my own at my husband, but that's a story for another post :)

I just got off the Breakaway on Sunday and can answer your hair dryer questions. I too brought my own and it is 1875 watts. I honestly can't remember if there were any outlets in the bathroom, I plugged mine in at the vanity. So you can get away with using your hair dryer at the vanity IF you have the tv and vanity light off and only have it on for a few minutes at a time. Otherwise you blow the fuse... not that I did that twice or anything. I would dry my hair as the last step to getting ready and I also towel-dried it. Then I would use the hairdryer in 1-2 minute increments til it was dry. Probably sounds like extra work to most people but I too love my hair dryer. When I did blow the fuse I just told them the fuse blew while using the hair dryer, didn't specify that it was my own. No questions asked and they sent someone up to fix it. Seemed like an easy fix although the first time we had to call twice and it took a while for someone to get to it. Once they got to it it was fixed in a matter of minutes. The first blown fuse was from having the TV and light on at the same time. The second was when I got a little cocky at the end of the cruise and thought I would just keep going since everything else was off... yeah that didn't work out so well. Since they didn't even question it I'm guessing it's something that happens often enough. I've always brought my own hair dryer and this is the first time I ever blew a fuse.. well if you don't count my own at my husband, but that's a story for another post :)

Thats exactly what I was asking....maybe rethinking bringing my own and just using the ships....I certainly do not want to blow a fuse and 1-2 increments would take me 2 hours...thanks so much for helping me out...I truly appreciate it!!!

Thats exactly what I was asking....maybe rethinking bringing my own and just using the ships....I certainly do not want to blow a fuse and 1-2 increments would take me 2 hours...thanks so much for helping me out...I truly appreciate it!!!

Happy to help :) Only on cruise critic can a hair dryer question turn into a debate on vanities.

I have shorter hair and my hair was somewhat dry by the time I got to using the hair dryer so I can see how my strategy might not work for most. I will say blowing the fuse wasn't even that bad. They never questioned it and it was just a quick call to housekeeping. Whatever you decide to do hope you have a great cruise with great hair!!

I just got off the Breakaway on Sunday and can answer your hair dryer questions. I too brought my own and it is 1875 watts. I honestly can't remember if there were any outlets in the bathroom, I plugged mine in at the vanity. So you can get away with using your hair dryer at the vanity IF you have the tv and vanity light off and only have it on for a few minutes at a time. Otherwise you blow the fuse... not that I did that twice or anything. I would dry my hair as the last step to getting ready and I also towel-dried it. Then I would use the hairdryer in 1-2 minute increments til it was dry. Probably sounds like extra work to most people but I too love my hair dryer. When I did blow the fuse I just told them the fuse blew while using the hair dryer, didn't specify that it was my own. No questions asked and they sent someone up to fix it. Seemed like an easy fix although the first time we had to call twice and it took a while for someone to get to it. Once they got to it it was fixed in a matter of minutes. The first blown fuse was from having the TV and light on at the same time. The second was when I got a little cocky at the end of the cruise and thought I would just keep going since everything else was off... yeah that didn't work out so well. Since they didn't even question it I'm guessing it's something that happens often enough. I've always brought my own hair dryer and this is the first time I ever blew a fuse.. well if you don't count my own at my husband, but that's a story for another post :)

Glad I am not the only one who blew TWO fuses drying my hair! :eek:

It never occurred to me to turn off the TV & the light & it did knock the TV out but after I blew the fuses I used the other vanity plug & it didn't happen.